Spartacus

Cybsled

Ya, season 1 episode 1 was kind of weak. But you get a payoff pretty quick in the following episodes.

Gods of the Arena (the 2nd season, which was a prequel to season 1) is also very good

Season 3 and onward are sort of mixed. I also do agree on replacement Naevia not being as good as the original. The actress who originally played her ended up playing Maze/Mazikeen on Lucifer

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I like anything "Roman" That era in history always fascinated me. I mean just imagine that era of history and it falling apart and then we had the dark ages after where civ took hundreds of years to get back to where the romans were. That being said this was no historical piece, but a dramatized fiction piece with some hints of history being thrown in. But one of my faves for sure. I re-watch this once every couple of years.

gak

<Gold Donor>
I couldn’t get into the later seasons of Spartacus
I didn't think I would like it at first, but Gods of the Arena was an amazing season too imo. It was never the same when they eventually had to replace Andy.

s.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I have Gods of the Arena and season 1 on the same footing. Neither is necessarily better than the other.

As a stand-alone I'd have to go with S1 since it lays the ground work. But if I had to sit down and re-watch one of them, it's going to be a Gods of Arena rewatch, not a season 1 rewatch.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I didn't think I would like it at first, but Gods of the Arena was an amazing season too imo. It was never the same when they eventually had to replace Andy.

View attachment 499889

I actually skipped out on later seasons simply because they didn't measure up to Gods of the Arena. It was on par with S1, and then it just hit a big high note-- after it felt like later seasons were just bonus rounds that weren't really must-see. I checked S2, S3 out but lost interest quick, would have preferred them finding a way to do a prequel/sequel to Gods of the Arena maybe with more perspective characters.

But that was the whole point in the first place of Gods of the Arena. It was meant to carry the brand between seasons and let people know it's still a thing which it excelled at.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

2 was the worst in effect because you had to get over Andy and that was hard and they had to find something to replace the house drama and a villain that we cared about beating

3 had this but by then it was a hard march to the end we knew was coming. But by then all the new actors and characters had their footing and it was good in practice but poor in effect as it was winding up and up in actions but down in effect because we all knew the titanic sank

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Yes the show wasnt the same after Andy's passing, but I felt that Liam did a good job filling in.

I also thought Crassus and Caesar were fantastic in S3.

I've always wanted to binge Gods of the Arena, then season 1-3, then binge Rome right after.

• 1Like