Spartacus

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We had this discussion on FOH ad naseum. Basically is that it was originally planned to go 5+ seasons, but without Andy now they're just not feeling it anymore. New dude just isn't the lead character that Whitfield was. The show is good despite him, not because of him. With Oenameus, Batiatus, Lucretia, and Glabor all dead, they've gotta count on new dude to carry the show, and he's quite frankly just not that likeable.

Especially if they planned on following the arc of history, with Crixus going somewhere else to pillage and plunder. You really think that new dude would be able to carry the show? Highly, highly unlikely.
I doubt it has anything to do with that. I think it's just Starz is cheap and they continue to cancel everything they put on...The ratings were actually climbing each season. I also remember reading the producer sold an idea to Starz and will be working on that show. He was going to be a consultant for Spartacus if they decided to renew it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I said it on FOH and I'll say it again here: the biggest mistake they made was killing off Batiatus. Spartacus was always the most boring character on the show (even when Andy was portraying him). The best parts were the intrigue and scheming of Batiatus. Last season had a lot less of that with no Batiatus and having so many scenes focusing on the wilderness/temple where the slaves were hiding.

They need to give us a Gannicus spin-off covering the time between his freedom and joining Spartacus. He is a much more interesting character and the actor is much more charismatic than new-Spartacus.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
We had this discussion on FOH ad naseum. Basically is that it was originally planned to go 5+ seasons, but without Andy now they're just not feeling it anymore. New dude just isn't the lead character that Whitfield was. The show is good despite him, not because of him. With Oenameus, Batiatus, Lucretia, and Glabor all dead, they've gotta count on new dude to carry the show, and he's quite frankly just not that likeable.

Especially if they planned on following the arc of history, with Crixus going somewhere else to pillage and plunder. You really think that new dude would be able to carry the show? Highly, highly unlikely.
Whether or not these are the reasons they're ending it now, I agree 100% with your points. New guy is an underwear model that belongs on the CW, and I don't believe that this was an impossible role to fill up, just very tough. New Naevia is bad and the fact that she learns how to fight is ridiculous. Oenomaus dead, Batiatus dead, Ashur dead (my favorite villain in any show, bar none), Andy dead. The only watchable character left is Gannicus. I fear I'm not going to buy the blu-ray for this season either.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
New actor isn't great, but I don't think he totally wiffed either.

Last season should be good. Hope Starz goes all out with the budget.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, new actor is mediocre. He's not as charismatic as Andy, but he's by no means why the season lost some of it's luster. It's as others have said, without Batiatus playing off Asher's scheming, there was a critical element missing in the whole subterfuge of the house. Asher tried to carry it with Glaber but lets face it, the elf doesn't have the "mastermind" presence that John Hannah did. Hannah had that unique quality of being vile, but still scrappy/smart enough that you rooted for him against his outside enemies. He was the Walter White of Spartacus.

Hopefully, the guy playing Ceasar and Crassus can recapture that quality. I really hope the show focuses on the political aspects/back stabbing of the hunt for Spartacus and the early formation of the first trimunitive. That could be done similar to how the politics of Capua played out--which, as said, really added to the show.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
I think they shot themselves in the foot with Gannicus. He should have been cast as Spartacus as he's the only actor cast thus far that has the ability to be both believable and likable. The new dude is trying too much to be like Whitfield that it's too noticeable that he's not, and I can't get past it. The show isn't strong enough, or good enough, to make up for it. Sad really, since the first and prequel/mini season were so good. Once Andy died and they killed off Batiatus, the show took a nose dive and hasn't yet recovered.

I will agree, killing Batiatus was a mistake and a waste of a great character.

I really hope the show focuses on the political aspects/back stabbing of the hunt for Spartacus and the early formation of the first trimunitive. That could be done similar to how the politics of Capua played out--which, as said, really added to the show.
I hope they really don't do this. The show is hamfisted enough with the history as it is, to try and turn to that, a-la Rome, would be a terrible mistake. Just don't do it.

The strength of show isn't in the political aspect, it's in the blood, sand and titties. If you want something closer to the real deal, the only alternative is Rome. It doesn't hurt that Rome > everything else.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
The strength of show isn't in the political aspect, it's in the blood, sand and titties. If you want something closer to the real deal, the only alternative is Rome. It doesn't hurt that Rome > everything else.
The fuck are you talking about? The politics totally make this show. The fights are all CGI way over the top 300-esque gore and blood spatter. They're fucking comical, honestly. And tits are everywhere. I've never understood people who watch shows for tits. I have the entire internet at my disposal, why the fuck do I give half a shit about 4 seconds of mostly shadowed breasts on a TV show?

Batiatus, Glaber and the rest of the Capua elite made this show. Period.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I cant find a link for it yet but I believe it was a producer for the show that said they fucked up and wanted to have more seasons but they handcuffed themselves when they made season 1 end with them leaving the ludus. He said he would have preferred if they stayed in the Ludus another season. Now having this based off of history he said he couldnt make the other story arcs drag on for longer then 1 season a piece.

AFAIK thats why its so short.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
The fuck are you talking about? The politics totally make this show. The fights are all CGI way over the top 300-esque gore and blood spatter. They're fucking comical, honestly. And tits are everywhere. I've never understood people who watch shows for tits. I have the entire internet at my disposal, why the fuck do I give half a shit about 4 seconds of mostly shadowed breasts on a TV show?

Batiatus, Glaber and the rest of the Capua elite made this show. Period.
You mean the politics from historical characters we know almost nothing about? The amount of semi-hard knowledge we have about everyone sans Crassus is sketchy at best. The show is essentially fantasy in that regard.

The cgi is clown shoes compared to 300.

Tits, your're right, I can see those anywhere and don't really add any value to the show. Nor do the extended sex scenes. Reminds me of Dennis' movie pitch about Dolph Lundgren, "Action, full penetration, action, full penetration, action, penetration, action, penetration..."

Yes, I know I used the phrase, "semi-hard knowledge".

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
You mean the politics from historical characters we know almost nothing about? The amount of semi-hard knowledge we have about everyone sans Crassus is sketchy at best. The show is essentially fantasy in that regard.

The cgi is clown shoes compared to 300.

Tits, your're right, I can see those anywhere and don't really add any value to the show. Nor do the extended sex scenes. Reminds me of Dennis' movie pitch about Dolph Lundgren, "Action, full penetration, action, full penetration, action, penetration, action, penetration..."

Yes, I know I used the phrase, "semi-hard knowledge".
So in order for politics and interpersonal relationships to be interesting they have to be factual? You're smoking some heavy shit there, man.

You've already flipped completely on the rest of your position, so I'll just stand back and let you do the work on the rest of it.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
So in order for politics and interpersonal relationships to be interesting they have to be factual? You're smoking some heavy shit there, man.

You've already flipped completely on the rest of your position, so I'll just stand back and let you do the work on the rest of it.
For a historically based show, it should know where to draw the line. Watch Rome.

I haven't flipped anything son. The show is decent, but is nothing more than the first season and the prequel. Once they killed Batiatus, they effectively killed the only interesting narrative they were capable of telling. Andy's death sucked, but if the story was better, it wouldn't be a problem.

If there were no titties and gfx super gore, no one would watch Spartacus. I personally don't give a shit either way about the titties or the gore, I was stating that is the only hook the show has anymore.

I am not interested in watching fake political intrigue about something that wants to be taken seriously as a historical retelling of Spartacus. There's a much better story in his motivations and having this wave of change become corrupted by personal gain.

But please, misunderstand what I'm saying, put words into my mouth and continue to white knight your favorite show.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Tits, your're right, I can see those anywhere and don't really add any value to the show.
Let me just object to that. Tits always add value to any show/movie. Think about a great movie you've seen recently. Think about if that hot girl could've shown her tits at some point. Would the movie have been better if she had? Of course it would. The movie is not bad because you did not see the hot girl's tits but you would have enjoyed it more if you did. Tits are always good and always add value. You are flat out wrong/probably gay. Carry on.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
For a historically based show, it should know where to draw the line. Watch Rome.
It's a historical based show where we knowalmost nothingabout the title character and his band of merry men. It's 90% fiction and everyone knows it. No one is watching this show and confused about it being a documentary.

I don't know where you got this fucking idea that it wants to be taken seriously as a historical retelling of Spartacus, because basically no one involved with the production of the show has ever said, claimed, or implied as much.

But please, continue embarrassing yourself here.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
It's a historical based show where we knowalmost nothingabout the title character and his band of merry men. It's 90% fiction and everyone knows it. No one is watching this show and confused about it being a documentary.

I don't know where you got this fucking idea that it wants to be taken seriously as a historical retelling of Spartacus, because basically no one involved with the production of the show has ever said, claimed, or implied as much.

But please, continue embarrassing yourself here.
I got the idea, the one where they were aiming for historical accuracy, from the creator of the show itself, Steven DeKnight.

"We have two fantastic historical consultants, Aaron Irvin and Jeffrey Stevens. They are instrumental in our attempt to remain as historically accurate as possible."

Nice try though, bro.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I got the idea, the one where they were aiming for historical accuracy, from the creator of the show itself, Steven DeKnight.

"We have two fantastic historical consultants, Aaron Irvin and Jeffrey Stevens. They are instrumental in our attempt to remain as historically accurate as possible."

Nice try though, bro.
Dumbfuck.

Link the whole quote, shit for brains.

We have two fantastic historical consultants, Aaron Irvin and Jeffrey Stevens. They are instrumental in our attempt to remain as historically accurate as possible. However, Spartacus : Blood and Sand is designed first and foremost as entertainment. I've often said that while we may bend history, we try to never break it. But I will always opt for what delivers the most dramatic impact over a strict adherence to historical fact. When I do stray, Aaron and Jeff point it out - often loudly and passionately. They deconstruct each script down to the very syllable, and no inaccuracy escapes their attention. Their input has been invaluable, even when story or budget force us away from 100% adherence to their wisdom on the subject.
http://www.whedon.info/Steven-DeKnig...ood,35929.html

Oh, look, story or budget or opting for dramatic purpose trumps fucking history.

Seriously, just stop.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Dumbfuck.

Link the whole quote, shit for brains.

http://www.whedon.info/Steven-DeKnig...ood,35929.html

Oh, look, story or budget or opting for dramatic purpose trumps fucking history.

Seriously, just stop.
Look, I know this is your only outlet for entertainment, as well as your only access to female nudity, I get it. God forbid someone not enjoy your favorite show and point out its misgivings.

Please keep getting your jimmies rustled about your favorite show in the world. It's obvious you can't handle the criticism.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The strength of show isn't in the political aspect, it's in the blood, sand andtitties.
If there were notittiesand gfx super gore, no one would watch Spartacus.
as well as your only access to female nudity, I get it.
Your projecting really goes to some disturbing levels. You got caught saying something stupid, you got angry. Your rage is so transparent that it doesn't even make for good trolling. You're worse than dumb--you're sad. And it comes across in spades in your post. Anyway, I'm sure you'll keep shitting up this thread but if you're going to use the whole jimmies meme, you probably shouldn't sound like Cutlery backed a dump truck of sand into your vagina, okay? It's just adding to the sadness of your tries too hard to be cool/smart/popular attitude.