Sports writer kills himself, leaves behind website describing how and why

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
And you act like the person deciding isn't suffering from depression or other mental illness thus reducing his capacity to make such decisions.

Do we let four year old children make all their decisions for themselves? No, because they are at a much reduced capacity for decision making given their age. Same thing with depression, dementia, drunken binges and the like.
I act like that because you refuse to acknowledge that because one is interested in ending their life it DOES NOT automatically make them mentally ill. You on the other hand assume every person who desires this is.

And I find it funny you have no issues with a DNR, when to my mind they are exactly the same thing.

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
As I said before, all of you non-depressed people who are advocating suicide on this thread feel free to go kill yourself. *Crickets*

I'm going to go with 100% of people wanting to kill themselves are depressed to a greater or lesser extent. -_-
We're not talking about this thread. Non-depressed people kill themselves all the time, and you can't just make sweeping, blanket statements that everyone who wants to kill themselves or does kill themselves has depression because the only one you can absolutely prove is Suicidality, which does not prove depression by itself.

According to you, you're okay with this: I am a 72 year old man with leukemia, I have a very good chance of living 8-10 more years with treatment. I refuse treatment and die in 18 months.
But not okay with this: I am a 72 year old man who will probably die in 10 years to age-related issues, no one in my family has lived longer than 80. My back hurts all the time, I have a replaced knee and hip. I decide to kill myself but I think about it over the next 18 months then do it.

Yeah, no.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
As I said before, all of you non-depressed people who are advocating suicide on this thread feel free to go kill yourself. *Crickets*

I'm going to go with 100% of people wanting to kill themselves are depressed to a greater or lesser extent. -_-

Edit: Okay I've repeated myself twice in two posts which means I've got nothing else to contribute to this thread - mea culpa for getting back in on page 3.
You've had nothing worth a fuck to contribute since you registered with this site, why should it stop you now?

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
why did they take the guys site down, that was his big thing he was proud of

Swagdaddy

just saying he was paid up, kinda lame to take the site down

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I actually find it incredibly comforting to know that death is always an option. There is an absolute limit to the amount of suffering that I can ever be forced to endure. No matter what happens, no matter how horrible, there is alwaysalwaysdeath. It will stop.

If I had to live in a universe where death was not available I would fling myself into a volcano and hope I was unmade a la The One Ring.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it's up. I'd be a little offended if they took the site down.

I've been thinking about bringing this up to people I've met over the weekend but couldn't find the right hook for it. Too many people are too close to death, suicide and aging for the discussion to be that enjoyable. And too many people have extremely strong opinions about it that they refuse to believe a person could commit suicide without being broken and needing fixing.

Swagdaddy

idk i get an error when i click it I had to use the mirror site

the zeroshare is a mirror his original site was like martinmanleylifeanddeath.org or something

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
As I've said, we as a society are way, way to casual with death in all its forms.
I could not disagree more. If anything, we are nowhere near casual enough about death. At least our own deaths.

Death used to be accepted as a natural and inevitable part of life. When someone died, the family would lay the body on his/her bed for 1-2 days to allow friends and family to pay their respects, then they would bury the body on their land. Then it became "gauche" to handle all that gross death stuff ourselves so we started paying other people to deal with the dirty side of it. Because we don't have to deal with it directly, we decide to pretend it doesn't exist and treat it like a big taboo. By the time we're forced to think about it it terrifies us and we'll do anything in our power to cheat death for as long as we can. We take death way too seriously whereas we used to accept it and understand it much more readily when we handled it ourselves. Good for this guy deciding not to let society dictate how he should handle his own death. I'm not saying everyone should do that, but we shouldn't allow the media and society to dictate how we should feel about death any more than we should allow the media and society to dictate how we feel about anything.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I actually find it incredibly comforting to know that death is always an option. There is an absolute limit to the amount of suffering that I can ever be forced to endure. No matter what happens, no matter how horrible, there is alwaysalwaysdeath. It will stop.

If I had to live in a universe where death was not available I would fling myself into a volcano and hope I was unmade a la The One Ring.
Such a drama queen.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
And you act like the person deciding isn't suffering from depression or other mental illness thus reducing his capacity to make such decisions.

Do we let four year old children make all their decisions for themselves? No, because they are at a much reduced capacity for decision making given their age. Same thing with depression, dementia, drunken binges and the like.
If only the people who felt like winning an argument was the only thing that matters, even if they have to go full retard to do it, would kill themselves the world would be a much better place.

Telling someone who's wasting away from cancer that they need to suck it up and suffer because you're a coward is utter bullshit. I get that death scares you, but the world doesn't revolve around you and nobody owes you shit. Someone on a bad acid trip is not the same as someone who's life will be nothing but unbearable pain. Someone who will do nothing for the next couple of months but shit themselves and be in immense pain is totally the same thing as a 4 year old thinking they're Batman.

Hiding behind the DSM is the same thing as an idiot manager who doesn't know what the hell he's doing and just says "sorry, rules are rules". It's dumbed down for the lowest common denominator (you) who can't think for themselves. They need something to tell them what to do at all times or they'll just sit in the corner drawing pictures on the wall with their own feces.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah it's up. I'd be a little offended if they took the site down.

I've been thinking about bringing this up to people I've met over the weekend but couldn't find the right hook for it. Too many people are too close to death, suicide and aging for the discussion to be that enjoyable. And too many people have extremely strong opinions about it that they refuse to believe a person could commit suicide without being broken and needing fixing.
That's pretty much how I feel. There has to be something fundamentally wrong with you to look at suicide as a viable option. I didn't read the guy's site, I don't really have any interest in that, but I would find it hard to believe that he wasn't fucked up.

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
If only the people who felt like winning an argument was the only thing that matters, even if they have to go full retard to do it, would kill themselves the world would be a much better place.

Telling someone who's wasting away from cancer that they need to suck it up and suffer because you're a coward is utter bullshit. I get that death scares you, but the world doesn't revolve around you and nobody owes you shit. Someone on a bad acid trip is not the same as someone who's life will be nothing but unbearable pain. Someone who will do nothing for the next couple of months but shit themselves and be in immense pain is totally the same thing as a 4 year old thinking they're Batman.

Hiding behind the DSM is the same thing as an idiot manager who doesn't know what the hell he's doing and just says "sorry, rules are rules". It's dumbed down for the lowest common denominator (you) who can't think for themselves. They need something to tell them what to do at all times or they'll just sit in the corner drawing pictures on the wall with their own feces.
He's not even correctly using the DSM. Even under the DSM definitions, suicides and suicidal tendencies are not defined as depression, they are 1 of 9 characteristics (of which you need 5) required to diagnose depression.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's pretty much how I feel. There has to be something fundamentally wrong with you to look at suicide as a viable option. I didn't read the guy's site, I don't really have any interest in that, but I would find it hard to believe that he wasn't fucked up.
Do you consider old age as something being fundamentally wrong?

Swagdaddy

His website was very interesting I read most of what he had to say, and he just didn't want to become old and useless was the jist of it.

He said he was still competent and capable at 60 and was already noticing his mind declining and that he was satisfied with his legacy, looked at his life and decided "That's a wrap".

I found it very interesting myself.