Sports writer kills himself, leaves behind website describing how and why

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
If the world is so broken, then go out and fucking fix it. Are you a member of the ACLU? Do you fundraise for them? Do you fundraise for other political groups? Do you work in a homeless shelter? There is all kinds of shit you can do to make the world a better place. Each day do you try and make the world a better place, if by nothing else than educating your students and treating everyone fairly? Hell, advocating social change on a message board is better than nothing. Start volunteering at an animal shelter maybe.

Not a single one of us is powerless to try and help the world. Checking out or encouraging other people to check out is the cowards way out.
It's nice to say that that if we all do our part, we can fix the world's problems. But it's also bullshit. We're raised to believe we can all play a role in making the world a better place, but really it's a small handful of people who decide how the world will develop, and the rest of us are cogs in their profit machine. Sure, I can make my community a better place by educating children to the best of my ability, and I do so and I take it seriously. But I do so because I'm allowed to do so because it doesn't interfere with some rich guy's plan to make more money. If it did, I'd have to find some other way that I would be "allowed" to improve the world. Heck, we've figured out how to dramatically reduce or dependence on oil but we're not allowed to implement it. We've figured out that hemp could revolutionize numerous industries but we're not allowed to do it. We've figured out how to make light bulbs that will burn for over 100 years but we're not allowed to do it. We could provide food, shelter, energy and education for everyone in the world many times over but we're not allowed to do it.

So by all means, life your life to its fullest and do everything you can to make the world a better place. But if you think there aren't very strict limits already set on the amount of good you'll be able to do you're just kidding yourself. Believe it or not, I'm not a cynic. I love my life and the little niche I've carved for myself. Really, that's all I can do. I've made the best of my situation, even as I am disgusted with what we have allowed ourselves to become in the name of profit.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
progress is occurring at a glacial pace (if at all) because any significant change will rustle too many pocketbooks.
Says this while living in an age where progress is moving exponentially faster than at any other time inhuman history.

Again Tanoomba, just like what was asked earlier--what in the hell are you comparing stuff to?

Capitalism has allowed us, as a group, to shed any responsibility towards each other. People are killed and lives are ruined on a huge scale so small groups of people can profit.
Again, quality of life, and the responsibility of society to ensure life has risendramaticallyunder Capitalism. If anything, Capitalism and the new social orders that surrounded it's uprising forced a great deal more responsibility toward our fellow man than was had before in most societies outside the elite of said societies.

I think that's the most perplexing thing about your claims though is just how much they fail to look at history. For example, lets take this little nugget of "responsibility" toward your fellow man: Slavery. Slavery has existed throughout human civilization--from Assyria, Egypt, Rome, Medieval Europe, Muslim Caliphate, Colonial Britain, Revolutionary U.S.--the standard, for thousands of years, since really the inception of civilization, was to place almost no value on human life and treat the lower castes of most societies as nothing more than property. However, in this era--since the inception of Capitalism, for the first time, the major global powers have all outlawed it. And what's even more astonishing, many of them have social programs that try to prevent death from lack of basic resources (Some are more effective than others, way to go Europe). That's INCREDIBLE progress considering we spent thousands of years treating most humans as nothing more than somewhat valuable tools.

So how have we "shed" this responsibility? You're confusing the lack of progress (Because I assume most of your comparisons are based on utopian principles you believe we could achieve without profit motivational) with current progress.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Says this while living in an age where progress is moving exponentially faster than at any other time inhuman history.

Again Tanoomba, just like what was asked earlier--what in the hell are you comparing stuff to?
feelings of inferiority and Impotency.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
delusion? i could go on and on about female slavery in africa and how good it was for their survival. actually, slavery was excellent in many cases and makes sense... guess not tonight cuz my car is downnnn..

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>

I'm comparing it to what I know we are capable of. And I'm not talking a hypothetical "given half the chance, we could figure this out" stuff, I'm talking about stuff we've already figured out but can't put into action because it compromises somebody's profit.

I get it, Lithose, Capitalism is better than everything that came before it. But we can clearly see where it's holding us back today. Capitalism allowed us to develop the technology and know-how to feed the entire world. Now, Capitalism is preventing us from using this technology and know-how to feed the world. Capitalism allowed for some of the most brilliant minds in history to create advancements we could never have dreamed of in every possible field. Now, Capitalism is preventing us from advancing too far because it's not profitable. Capitalism is the best system we've ever had, bar none. But like I said before, it's had its time in the sun and we're ready to move on to the next step, so we can finally make the best use of everything Capitalism has allowed us to develop.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Oh gee, who would have guessed Tanoomba would be shitting up the thread with stupid opinions again.

Big surprise there.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I disagree wholeheartedly that "profit" is what causes the vast majority of peoples laziness and indifference to others.

Has it ever occurred to you that most people literally don't give a shit about their fellow man the way you think people do, and the vast majority of people go about their lives based purely on their individual self interest?

people don't function the way you think they do.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
what's gonna happen in the future,

1. Technology replaces men.

2. Men lives in perpetual poverty.

3. Men revolts, upset social order.

4. Men utilizes technology to live of ff the labour of robots.

5. New social order of intellectuals emerge.

6. Men who does not fit in these technocratic society is given free shit.

7. men becomes sean.

iannis

Musty Nester
Actually, to a modern Christian who believes in Jesus, the social and political frictions of Rome mean nothing. You can explain how it's only because of those frictions that this person believes in Jesus today, but it doesn't mean shit to that person. If I want to recommend a video game to a friend, I don't have to explain to him that Nintendo used to manufacture playing cards. It has zero connection to whether or not my friend will enjoy the game, even though the game literally would not exist if it weren't for Nintendo originally producing playing cards. Everything has a reason it developed the way it has. Everything has a history. Marxism, completely independently of its history, completely independently ofanyhistory, provides a starting point of analysis of modern society and how we live our lives. We can wax poetic about the context in which Marxism developed, the flaws in its ideas, how it inspired and was inspired by other ways of thinking, and so on and so on, but all of that is pulling the discussion away from the point (that someone who believes any genuine life experiences they might have had have been replaced with manufactured commodities and thatsuicidemight be considered a rational choice by that person), which remains the pointcompletely independentlyof all that stuff. It really is that simple.
Actually, you're factually wrong. Even intellectual evangelicals (a group I'm sure you would consider to be the dumbest Christians) become obsessed with the Roman influence on Judea. Earnest ministries require their speakers to have at least a passing knowledge of contextual history. This is the mistake you're making. All things require context to be meaningful. All things. Even scripture. Especially Scripture. This is the root of your zealotry.

It's dishonest, ignorant. And it reaches a point where it actually becomes stupid. This is the point at which you echo the intellectual structures of Creationism.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Has it ever occurred to you that most people literally don't give a shit about their fellow man the way you think people do, and the vast majority of people go about their lives based purely on their individual self interest?
+1

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Actually, you're factually wrong. Even intellectual evangelicals (a group I'm sure you would consider to be the dumbest Christians) become obsessed with the Roman influence on Judea. Earnest ministries require their speakers to have at least a passing knowledge of contextual history. This is the mistake you're making. All things require context to be meaningful. All things. Even scripture. Especially Scripture. This is the root of your zealotry.

It's dishonest, ignorant. And it reaches a point where it actually becomes stupid. This is the point at which you echo the intellectual structures of Creationism.
I was raised a Christian and was pretty much taught martyrdom of St. Peter, Paul, and lists of other disciples. Grade 9. First thing we watch is Roman soldiers putting Jesus on the cross. Grade 11. Video of Jesus's disciples and the history of early Christianity in Roman Empire. Post-secondary education. Campus ministry and volunteer work.

Martyrdom is a powerful message that defines the zeal of any powerful religion and it stems from the past as the guiding symbol, which builds role models.

If we are to go even deeper, from the tradition of Christmas to Jesus's birth (date of birth, which scholars and ministers debate is not the December the 25th. In fact, there is not even a proof of birth, so there is a doubt to his existence altogether), there is a pagan root and symbols that we cannot ignore. All these are relevant for analysis.

iannis

Musty Nester
The funniest beating I ever took was from a 2nd generation chinese christian I was dating at the time. I remarked that if Christ was born to live as Man, it is not unreasonable much less heresy to entertain the thought he took a wife during his life -- as this was and is an integral part of Man's humanity to himself. She beat me with a shoe. She wore heels!

It wasn't funny at the time. I wanted to get laid! But yeah... that shit was funny.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I disagree wholeheartedly that "profit" is what causes the vast majority of peoples laziness and indifference to others.

people don't function the way you think they do.
Have you ever wonderedwhypeople "don't give a shit about their fellow man"? It's because we're conditioned to compete with each other for a piece of the pie. We see that the most powerful people in our societies got there by only looking out for themselves, so we figure it's pointless for us, on an individual level, to do otherwise. See, profit doesn't have to corrupt "the vast majority of people". It only has to corrupt the most powerful and influential. From them we are trained "not to give a shit about our fellow man". Capitalism isn't reflecting our inherent laziness and selfishness, it's shaping it.

I'm not a Christian, but I was raised Christian, and my parents are both still fairly religious. To them, their beliefs are about a man who preached love and died for our sins. Neither of them would be able to explain to me about the "social and political frictions of Rome" that led to the evolution of Christianity (at least beyond Jesus being considered a heretic and Pontious Pilate sentencing him to death). They're not special cases.

Yes, context gives meaning. But context is as deep as you're willing to look. Again, would explaining Nintendo's history as a playing card manufacturer affect my friend's ability to enjoy, say, the most recent Call of Duty? He's got context: It's a first-person shooter, it's got an extremely popular competitive mode, it has an immersive one player campaign, etc. You have to draw the line on context somewhere. And for the purposes of discussing whether or not someone can make a rational decision to commitsuicide, talking about the pros and cons of Marxism as compared to other ways of thinking that came before and after does not contribute anything.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tanoomba actually making readable sensible posts for a change. I guess he just needed a topic that suited him.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
i can't read his shit. it's smeared all over the wall and it smells nasty. I mean that figuratively.

It wasn't funny at the time. I wanted to get laid! But yeah... that shit was funny.
i wanna get laid too, only after marriage.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Tanoomba blaming mankind's selfishness on capitalism, as if a couple hundred years of an economic system has changes the physiology of man's central nervous system.

Sounds like tanoomba needs to go live with a hunter gather culture in the middle of the rainforest for afew months.