St. Barts

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Anyone gone to St Barts? Any suggestions on hotels and restaurants?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I was there about 15 years ago and don't remember where I stayed, but all I can say is it's going to be hard to go wrong with pretty much any hotel or restaurant on the island.

If you've been to islands in the Caribbean before, you know that outside the resort itself they are almost all unanimously run down, with some being outright dangerous. Service and the locals are also usually slow and/or unfriendly. St-Barths is basically the exception to this rule.. It's run by French elites, not the "locals", and hence feels more like a town along the cote-d'azure than the Caribbean. That means restaurants are run by French people, for French people, so there really is no shitty food. The island itself is a magnet for movie stars and rich French people, and though I don't doubt that there are shitty hotels somewhere, for the most part the island is immaculate, modern, and caters to expensive tastes.. Expect to probably put on 5lbs as the standard French breakfast there includes butter croissants, chocolate bread, and tons of jams/marmalades..

P.S: Have fun doing the dive bomb mission to the island's landing strip in a puddle jumper. Landing at that airport is freaking scary.

P.P.S: Enjoy all the free titty viewing on the beach.. Once you do a French run island it's hard to go back to American/British ones.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Balance that out with all the dudes wearing banana hammocks
Hate to break it to you, but more than the French wear Speedos.. Western Europeans seems to be slowly progressing out of it, but Eastern Europeans and Russians are really bad. No shortage of fat obnoxious Russian dudes in speedos when I was in Asia.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So I'll thread hijack a bit. How is Turks and Caicos?
I was actually there a few months ago. Beautiful beaches- top tier for the Caribbean imho. Island itself is standard fare for the region-- nothing to do really outside your resort. The resort I stayed at (Parrot Cay) was waaayy overpriced for the quality ($28 for a cheeseburger, $10 for a beer) but I'm not sure if that was typical pricing for the island as a whole. Personally, I liked St-Barts more, though Turks did have nicer beaches.

I've pretty much been to every Caribbean island and I'd have to rate St-Barts the best (though the priciest) with Cuba being the "best value".

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
St Barts is one of the more overrated/overpriced places on earth.

Source: Anthony Bourdain.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
St Barts is one of the more overrated/overpriced places on earth.

Source: Anthony Bourdain.
He must really hate Paris and London too then.

Bourdain's "thing" is hanging with the natives eating questionably sanitary food while remarking on their deep culture. Make no mistake, St-Barth's is fucking White French Imperialism defined. It's an immaculate, rich, white, organized, town with little to nothing representing whatever it was before the French showed up and terraformed into Petite Paris sur la Mer. I'm sure Bourdain finds the lack of native culture/food upsetting.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
At least in Boracay I could barter down the cost of the blowjob being offered to me by the tranny with the 5'oclock shadow.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
At least in Boracay I could barter down the cost of the blowjob being offered to me by the tranny with the 5'oclock shadow.
I'll take Asia over the Caribbean any day of the week, St-Barts or otherwise. If the flight wasn't so fucking brutal I'd be in Thailand/Philippines/Vietnam like every 6 months.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I have a friend who's an xpat in Manila. I envy his vacation options.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll take Asia over the Caribbean any day of the week, St-Barts or otherwise. If the flight wasn't so fucking brutal I'd be in Thailand/Philippines/Vietnam like every 6 months.
Yeah, but that's kinda the thing, right? I mean, I'd be in Bora Bora once a week if I could teleport.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He must really hate Paris and London too then.

Bourdain's "thing" is hanging with the natives eating questionably sanitary food while remarking on their deep culture. Make no mistake, St-Barth's is fucking White French Imperialism defined. It's an immaculate, rich, white, organized, town with little to nothing representing whatever it was before the French showed up and terraformed into Petite Paris sur la Mer. I'm sure Bourdain finds the lack of native culture/food upsetting.
Jimmy Buffett lives there. Take that as you take your Jimmy Buffett.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah, but that's kinda the thing, right? I mean, I'd be in Bora Bora once a week if I could teleport.
The irony is even after factoring in the flight, Asia is far less expensive than the Caribbean. In Thailand you can get a bungalow with beach view, your own private fuck pool, zen garden with shower, and butler service for like $450 a night. The same thing in Nevis, Turks, etc would be pushing $1500 a night.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The irony is even after factoring in the flight, Asia is far less expensive than the Caribbean. In Thailand you can get a bungalow with beach view, your own private fuck pool, zen garden with shower, and butler service for like $450 a night. The same thing in Nevis, Turks, etc would be pushing $1500 a night.
Not bad. Cheaper than where I live and I'm on a goddamn island.