Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I know that Chris Roberts hasn't made anything I've cared about since 1993 so I'm highly skeptical of giving him $1, much less, $60, much less whatever the average per backer is now for the most ambitious project in the history of video games.

And you think I'm the crazy one.

edit: Note that "giving him dollars" equates to buying an unknown at this point. Not buying an actual product.

Axamander

N00b
I just can't even.
If its anything like that economic wishcasting you were peddling as fact to try and bully Variise with then youre right: you cannot.

Right now you can spawn in a station, go to a console to spawn your ship, go through an airlock to zero G and EVA, hop in your ship, go fly to a station, get out, play in some FPS PVP, get back in your ship, dogfight with other players. All seamlessly.

He says they are in the process of integrating the items system for cargo, docking, mining, etc; planetside and large scale star system to work seamlessly as well. He has given a release schedule/order for them Either they are or they are not. We shall see.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I figured I would get the same response as Variise. I have. You guys do like to gangup on opinions outside of the groupthink.
Haha, "I knew you were all going to be big meanies as I display my learning disabilities for everyone's amusement."

Axamander

N00b
I know that Chris Roberts hasn't made anything I've cared about since 1993 so I'm highly skeptical of giving him $1, much less, $60, much less whatever the average per backer is now for the most ambitious project in the history of video games.

And you think I'm the crazy one.

edit: Note that "giving him dollars" equates to buying an unknown at this point. Not buying an actual product.
That type of money is not a big deal to me. For me it was a chance to break the VCO publisher paradigm --I really don't like this country's financial system-- and if it ends up as vaporware then I am not going to worry about the $100 I spent too much. I spend more on charity and political donations without expecting a return. Up until ~2015 you could buy an Aurora and get the single player and MMO for $35 so it's not like you had to spend that much but that was the minimum purchase.

It's certainly a speculative purchase but I'm not uncomfortable with ambiguity.

Axamander

N00b
Haha, "I knew you were all going to be big meanies as I display my learning disabilities for everyone's amusement."
One of the reason why I act the pedantic dick is to challenge people and foster argument. You won't argue on merit and that is what cowards always do. Taking pot shots at me just makes you seem insecure but if it makes you feel better I can take it so go right ahead.

Axamander

N00b
Have you finished puberty yet?
LOL your going to have to do better than that if you're trying to make me mad or drive me away. I'm not into schadenfreude but you just seem mad. Like I said if it makes you feel better have at it but this type of sophomoric drivel is meaningless to me. My ego isn't dependent on the affirmation of others. Maybe if you keep flailing though you might hit something I actually care about.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
LOL your going to have to do better than that if you're trying to make me mad or drive me away. I'm not into schadenfreude but you just seem mad. Like I said if it makes you feel better have at it but this type of sophomoric drivel is meaningless to me. My ego isn't dependent on the affirmation of others. Maybe if you keep flailing though you might hit something I actually care about.
Why would I want to drive away the lolcow? You came into the thread to help your fellow cultist and now it's in flames and the shit is flying everywhere. It's glorious!

Axamander

N00b
Why would I want to drive away the lolcow? You came into the thread to help your fellow cultist and now it's in flames and the shit is flying everywhere. It's glorious!
Domination megalomania delusions on the interwebs doesn't make you seem mentally ill. Really. I just feel like such the pariah and intimidated.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Hhmm, Blackwulf and Rescorla were more entertaining in the ESO thread. But at least he is trying. Go on Mr. Skeptic. Show us the light.

Variise

N00b
At this point, Star Citizen shares a lot more in common than just its initials with Roberts' last flop.
What you don't realize is that this quote means whoever wrote it also has no idea how game development works. Anyone commenting that it accurately reflects game development in the industry is either incompetent or did not work at that level but may have used the tools that resulted from such endeavors without fully appreciating it. Like a concept artist or lighting artist.

It's called iteration. When you are building an engine, or re-building one, or even just an engine tool you have a goal. Lets call that X. You may not reach X but through R&D you learn and realize what you want can't be accomplished with the original tech/knowledge/funding you put into it and closed that door. This may happen repeatedly resulting in multiple failures until you strike gold either by chance, pure luck, or through countless man hours of invested R&D that lead to many dead ends before you found your way. Some companies pursue this to their ultimate failure. There is nothing wrong with that. Without risk there is no chance for advancement. Very small risk means very small gains. Enter console gaming.

Could another development team with different leadership and different employees have succeeded faster or even on the first attempt? Absolutely. Anything is possible. The problem is they were the only development team that cared to even attempt it or all others were settling for a fraction of the feature they wanted.

Game development is not a zero-sum game and all of you are treating it as if it were and taking arguments and statements praising this concept as gospel. That is dangerous for the industry. Thanks to that mentality we get more CODs, ACs and Battlefield games with ever shrinking feature sets that may appeal to casual gamers but not vets resulting in a community that is incredibly fickle and go virtually dead within months.

Thanks?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
So I take it you're a professional game developer? You sure seem to like to pass off the impression that you know more than everyone else.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Game development is not a zero-sum game and all of you are treating it as if it were and taking arguments and statements praising this concept as gospel. That is dangerous for the industry. Thanks to that mentality we get more CODs, ACs and Battlefield games with ever shrinking feature sets that may appeal to casual gamers but not vets resulting in a community that is incredibly fickle and go virtually dead within months.
What's dangerous for the industry is continuing to throw money at a glorified pitchman whose last project also promised far more than it delivered (Star Citizen is on track to be Freelancer 2 in that respect).

If you think people are risk averse now, if/when this game fails to live up to expectations it'll all but ensure there will never be another crowdfunded "indie" project of similar magnitude.

Axamander

N00b
Hhmm, Blackwulf and Rescorla were more entertaining in the ESO thread. But at least he is trying. Go on Mr. Skeptic. Show us the light.
Oh good you actually read that. I said I was ambivalent. I'm testing the veracity of your assumptions and the basis for board opinion.

I have a pretty good gauge at this point and I see it almost as entirely as incredulity and publisher worship. Most people come in do as you do and cannot even articulate an argument but instead make some snarky comment with the intent of telling me that I won't change your mind. I get a whole lot of that normally.

It's not lost on me that people don't change their opinions and that holds doubly true when someone comes at you like a pedantic dick as I have. Ultimately though, time makes more converts than reason and what will be will be one way or another.

Variise

N00b
So I take it you're a professional game developer? You sure seem to like to pass off the impression that you know more than everyone else.
I already addressed this. No I'm not a game dev.

Yes I do know more than most of you about game development but only because the majority of you peak at how to chat troll putting you slightly above a random person off the street. Barely.

I'm not a special snowflake.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I already addressed this. No I'm not a game dev.

Yes I do know more than most of you about game development but only because the majority of you peak at how to chat troll putting you slightly above a random person off the street. Barely.

I'm not a special snowflake.
Actually just looks like you regurgitating something you read/heard somewhere, to justify your cult behavior.

Axamander

N00b
Actually just looks like you regurgitating something you read/heard somewhere, to justify your cult behavior.
This is an amusing take in light of the 'diversity' of takes that I've read from the opposition. They were defending parroting Smart's takes this morning "just because he's biased doesn't mean he's wrong.". Even this 'cultist' take is groupthink around here as someone characterized it earlier as "cultist calling others cultists."

That type of demonization is a popular propaganda technique particularly in war time. It's hard to treat someone like shit if you have any empathy unless you can frame them as somehow fundamentally different as opposed to a thinking human being just like yourself.