Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't know if anyone here actually plays SC, but how is the shooting or ground combat gameplay?
Somewhat irrelevant because the Persistent Universe Alpha is likely a whole separate fork from Squadron 42 at this point.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Somewhat irrelevant because the Persistent Universe Alpha is likely a whole separate fork from Squadron 42 at this point.
That's ridiculous. You'd have to have an enormously dysfunctional and bloated development organization to have separate forks for SQ42 and the PU versions of Star Citizen. There's no way that's true for CIG.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's ridiculous. You'd have to have an enormously dysfunctional and bloated development organization to have separate forks for SQ42 and the PU versions of Star Citizen. There's no way that's true for CIG.
I realize the joke you're trying to make, but I think you've got it backwards. Trying to force a Single Player game and a Massively Multiplayer-ish game to keep entirely consistent codebases seems unmaintainable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
After hearing that SQ42's release is just around the corner, I did an emergency withdraw of my 401k account and invested in an armada of boats. I'm hoping to play this by Christmas.

700m4txmnuvb1.png
Chris Roberts thanks you for your boat purchase in Star Citizen!

We at Roberts Space Industries decided to name our speed boat, which is exclusive to our wonderful MMO, after the single player game we are developing, to cause confusion for people buying it. Imagine someone thinking they will be able to use in a single player game that will only cost $70.

We thought it was a great way to celebrate the original goal of our Kickstarter, and we hope you do too!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have to admit, it does look really good. All I think about now with new MMO's is how players will exploit bugs/programming. Glad to see it looks as though some real progress has been made.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
My main issue with Star Citizen is it is NOT solo friendly...my experience with solo play has always been some twat ramming his ship into mine and blowing me up, or some twat finding me doing random shit on a random planet in the middle of nowhere and killing me...

It just gets boring really quick when you are forced to hold other peoples hands in order to do menial things.

I loved playign Elite Dangerous as a sole fighter doing conflict areas but playing this game is annoying at times when you find things to do, do them and then some twat just blows up your ship while you aren't even on it. Much less the 90 things you gotta do before even leaving a space port only to have to redo them again when the above happens tacked on waiting for your ship to come back because "RP!!" reasons.

Last edited:

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wing commander 3 ages ago revealed chris Roberts for what he really is - a wanna be film producer, but unfortunately his skills in that realm , as that game showed, are sorely lacking. Showing us some mediocre gameplay footage and still uncanny valley cinematic clips does not justify the money going into cig.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Maybe, although he was ahead of the game (no pun intended) on trying to make video games more cinematic in scope and appearance

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wing commander 3 ages ago revealed chris Roberts for what he really is - a wanna be film producer, but unfortunately his skills in that realm , as that game showed, are sorely lacking. Showing us some mediocre gameplay footage and still uncanny valley cinematic clips does not justify the money going into cig.
Whatabout then Wing Commander movie?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
what about it? wc3 was his first foray into wasting time and money on cinematics. The feature film, such as it was, came out 5 years later and I certainly didnt watch that,, but turns out hardly anyone did and the reviews are about what i expected

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That tech demo is impressive. Government probably salivating at the idea of a matrix type human control mechanism.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

I know we'll never see a final game but damn some of the stuff they have is looking pretty phenomenal. There's no telling how many ships this kid has bought though. I really hope it comes out one day before my arthritis sets in.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Some sort of showcase video about the engine. Guess that's what they're really pushing. Gotta have something for a half a billion dollars after all. Does look pretty slick.

• 2Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The more I see about the game, the more Im thinking that if it actually does come out ... its going to have to have a HUGE population. There is so much stuff added in for realism sake, that without someone else there experiencing it with you - why the fuck would you want to do that? Then, outside of the occasional guild excursions and such.. what motivates someone to log in and play if all they do is play crew on a space ship? Is there even enough game play for them to do anything within that role? Then the empty huge as fuck stations, the planets with multiple bases and more. Its just a damn LOT of "space" that will need bodies in it. Then, can the server(s) even handle the amount of players that the game will need to make it feel alive?
I could see something like a Free 2 Play version and you have some very basic skills available to you. Such as crew, gunmen, etc. Very narrowed in focus on things that you can do for fun, for free, that overall improves the gameplay experience for the subs and cash shop whales. You pay a sub, you have the license to fly the ships and own them. You can learn trade skills that the F2P plebs cant, etc.

If they can tell me how theyre going to get that many players playing every role that they've thought of - that will be a big step in the right direction for me.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The more I see about the game, the more Im thinking that if it actually does come out ... its going to have to have a HUGE population. There is so much stuff added in for realism sake, that without someone else there experiencing it with you - why the fuck would you want to do that? Then, outside of the occasional guild excursions and such.. what motivates someone to log in and play if all they do is play crew on a space ship? Is there even enough game play for them to do anything within that role? Then the empty huge as fuck stations, the planets with multiple bases and more. Its just a damn LOT of "space" that will need bodies in it. Then, can the server(s) even handle the amount of players that the game will need to make it feel alive?
I could see something like a Free 2 Play version and you have some very basic skills available to you. Such as crew, gunmen, etc. Very narrowed in focus on things that you can do for fun, for free, that overall improves the gameplay experience for the subs and cash shop whales. You pay a sub, you have the license to fly the ships and own them. You can learn trade skills that the F2P plebs cant, etc.

If they can tell me how theyre going to get that many players playing every role that they've thought of - that will be a big step in the right direction for me.
I think the cost of the PCs that will be required to run this if it ever comes out will be too cost prohibitive to ever allow it to have a truly huge population. Not to mention the cost of all the in game bullshit.

Goatface

little late, but they earned more than i thought. plus 203k new people (for oct 22)
1704998979262.png

=
anyway, this made me lol (yes it is satire)
1704999266793.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users