Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I still remember Derek commenting on the Curt Schilling deal:

ow6ZnPN.jpg

Heh.
But that's not really what caused 38 Studios to crash and burn. 38 Studios crashed and burned because they took out a lot of loans then couldn't get new investment to cover the cost of the loans. Star Citizen is still pulling in ~20k a day even on the bad days, 1-2 mil a month, and doesn't have loans to pay or investors to pay off. Progress on the public builds has been good, and the live demos at shows have shown amazing progress.

Yes, I'm sure Chris Roberts is a fucking egomaniac and I'm sure there's been a ton of drama and shady shit because of it. Which is why I'm glad more and more of the actual closer to the metal development is being done out in Germany by people who've actually shipped games in the past decade.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Derek Smart is well versed in the art of doomsaying, and with the incredibly high failure rate in this industry, it's no wonder he's frequently right. That doesn't make him some kind of prophet. The man has failed over and over again despite having his own personal clique of devoted fans, mostly due to his own ego.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
CiG might be better off at this point without Chris Roberts and his ego. But then again, people said that about Apple. Sometimes it takes a gigantic irrational douchebag to pull off something this crazy.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Sometimes it takes a gigantic irrational douchebag to pull off something this crazy.
It's a common theme. Most game-changing companies are headed by people you really don't want to work for (but end up working because they DO change things).

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Derek Smart is well versed in the art of doomsaying, and with the incredibly high failure rate in this industry, it's no wonder he's frequently right. That doesn't make him some kind of prophet. The man has failed over and over again despite having his own personal clique of devoted fans, mostly due to his own ego.
Prophet nothing, he posts citations and evidence.

Variise

N00b
I personally wouldn't put too much stock in this guy. He spent well over 6 years creating an abject failure of a game that still, lets be polite, needs work and calls out CIG that has had maybe 3 years of dev time so half of his on delivering a product.

Chris' only mistake was assuming he wouldn't get so much backing and would end up having to get limited private funding (25 million) which absolutely would have capped the project and limited scope. His escape plan was the TOS which is IMO dishonest. Legal but dishonest.

Anyway point taken with the FTC investigation. However CIG's lawyer did respond to his initial claim and refuted everything he said. That's when it came out that DS purposefully gave them an address that doesn't exist and claimed the street name changed when it never existed resulting in CIG having to mail him another cheque using registered mail.

DS is a habitual liar, narcissist and troll. He has in some respects already succeeded in in his aim against CIG. Nobody is talking about progress. They are talking about his talking points. The guy has no legs to stand on. Him and that other guy that also attacked CIG publicly not long ago on twitter. Yet another looser dev in the industry that continually failed to deliver games on time calling Chris out on not delivering a game on time.

So you have two of these pricks that can't ship a game trying to tare down CIG for not shipping. Just..... wtf?

I mean Jesus.... call me when these guys actually ship their games on time and CIG is past the 6 year mark. I'll start caring at that point. 5-6 years is pretty standard fair for AAA games. That would be the second half of 2018. Even I don't think it will take them that long to put the building blocks together. I suggested 2017 and I'm cynical.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Derek Smart was behind Battlecruiser 3000AD....
His claim to 'fame' is making a catastrophic series of failures.

But he at least did them mostly with his own time and money, so he's not like a total heel. He's just really fucking delusional.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I personally wouldn't put too much stock in this guy.He spent well over 6 years creating an abject failure of a game that still, lets be polite, needs workand calls out CIG that has had maybe 3 years of dev time so half of his on delivering a product.

Chris' only mistake was assuming he wouldn't get so much backing and would end up having to get limited private funding (25 million) which absolutely would have capped the project and limited scope. His escape plan was the TOS which is IMO dishonest. Legal but dishonest.

Anyway point taken with the FTC investigation. However CIG's lawyer did respond to his initial claim and refuted everything he said. That's when it came out that DS purposefully gave them an address that doesn't exist and claimed the street name changed when it never existed resulting in CIG having to mail him another cheque using registered mail.

DS is a habitual liar, narcissist and troll. He has in some respects already succeeded in in his aim against CIG. Nobody is talking about progress. They are talking about his talking points. The guy has no legs to stand on. Him and that other guy that also attacked CIG publicly not long ago on twitter. Yet another looser dev in the industry that continually failed to deliver games on time calling Chris out on not delivering a game on time.

So you havetwo of these pricks that can't ship a gametrying to tare down CIG for not shipping. Just..... wtf?

I mean Jesus....call me when these guys actually ship their games on timeand CIG is past the 6 year mark. I'll start caring at that point. 5-6 years is pretty standard fair for AAA games. That would be the second half of 2018. Even I don't think it will take them that long to put the building blocks together. I suggested 2017 and I'm cynical.
Funny how all the people who disagree with Smart can only attack the man and not his points.
895.jpg

Yeah, Smart's a scumbag. But he'sright.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
What's the evidence that Elle was produced with backer funds?
rrr_img_110907.png

Sauce:http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/09/st...-the-long-con/

Now I would like to see the evidence of the film being shot on RSI's Canon 5D cameras (which Smart says exists in the invoices but he didn't link to them), and I would also like to know if Brian Dickson was currently employed by RSI at the time he wrote the first draft, but even without those points, there's a very strong implication that backer money was used.

Blackwulf

N00b
Lol, are you for real? Who gives a fuck if Sandi, on her own time, brought some of her acting buddies to the office and used cameras that were already purchased for the community shows? Did she break them or something? Seriously, have you people never worked in an office? I remember when I was working on my masters, I'd often have my study group over to my office after hours, so we could use the conference room projector and print our stuff out. Technically something that the company wouldn't condone, but nothing anyone would freak out about.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I see kriptini is still being a little shit. Stop giving serek dmart credit for anything. He's automatically never right.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
As long as the cameras were not damaged and CIG did not actively need them at the time I don't really see what the issue is either.

Where are these invoices he is talking about has he actually seen them or is it just rumor?

Then he says: "She's right there, front and center of this project and is one of the people entrusted with$90m in public money and with zero accountability."

Is he really implying that she is wasting 90 million dollars of taxpayer money, how the hell can I take what he is saying seriously after making that kind of statement?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, the movie accusation seems like such a small portion of Smart's overall rant that I guess I don't care if it's true or not. Surely there's enough ammunition without that...just seems like an odd rumor, and an odd thing to get hung up on.