Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
When a publication uses an anonymous source they are saying, "This person who has real credibility says this. You will have to trust us that A: That person has credibility. B: That person said this.". This means the publication becomes part of the news rather than reporting it (which is bad), but in this case the worst part is that the Escapist has no credibility, so it can't be taken seriously.

When WaPo relied on anon sources for the Watergate scandal we were talking about a top shelf publication betting their very valuable reputation. If it turned out to be tripe they had a lot to lose. In this case we're talking about a mediocre gaming news site paying bottom dollar on shit-tier gaming journalists trying to make click bait. They simply don't have the standing to use anon sources and not be laughed out of the room by anyone who cares about journalistic integrity.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The anonymous source was useful when we had journalists that were household names and could be trusted. If they had their name on the article and said you could trust this anonymous source you did.

Nowadays .... journalist is a loose term especially for websites.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Cool I have some blanks too. Is that Chris Roberts or something? I don't know what that picture means.
Look, don't engage in this kind of logical argument unless you want to risk Hodj coming in here and shitting in this thread with overly verbose descriptions of whynegative proofsare annoying.

Here's what we know about IDCardGate:
1. The author of the article identified an image of these blank looking HID cards as being the card used for proving they were a former employee of CiG.
The Escapist Explains Its Star Citizen Sources, Vetting and Response | Video Games | The Escapist
Liz O

2. It's very uncommon for a company to not confiscate those HiD cards when they are part ways.

3. CiG claims that they don't have company ID cards with personal information.

4. CiG showed an example of one of their alleged cards that showed it has no identifiable information.
Disc-O-Lantern on Twitter:

You can decide based on this whether the anonymous source was legitimate. Personally I don't pay attention to anonymous sources except in rare cases. When the Escapist has verifiable and on-the-record sources, they'll have something useful.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Lol.

I'm sure that would get me shawed quickly and, while that is always entertaining, particularly when I can get a_skeleton_03 in there with me to talk about his vicodin proclivities, I won't demolish this thread with the logic stuff.

I hope the game comes out for my own personal enjoyment interests in playing it.
I also won't shed many tears if it bombs.

Let come what may. The story is just getting interesting imo.

Escapist better hope they have held back some better cards in this battle, or they might find themselves in a legal battle over some of these claims, I suspect.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
As someone who ran shitty gaming news site and met a lot of other news site and YouTube channel people; they're all shit with zero formal training and about half of them ever played a video game.

They're all shit just trying to get more views.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
It works in gaming though because the gaming readership tends not to make much use of their capacity for critical thinking.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You gotta think Roberts and them don't want to have to take any of the funds they've raised and divert them towards a lawsuit, for obvious reasons.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Skimmed the article again. The source (CS7) who was 'verified' by the scan card in question was only mentioned in this single excerpt from what I saw:

CS7 indicated that Cloud Imperium Games Montreal entered into a joint venture partnership with Turbulent to continue to develop and sell the crowdfunding platform that was built for Star Citizen to other companies - and that backer money was being used for this project. HEAP C3MS is described as "the first platform to combine content, community, and commerce within one integrated platform," and was used for the design of the RSI website.

All the really juicy stuff came from sources who were identified visually, or so they claim.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I rate this drama 6/10. Bonus because Liz is cute. Deduction because I have a suspicion that she has bad teeth.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So thats why you gave it to raven, didnt want it to go to waste.
I gave vicodin to nobody. I did throw some out though
wink.png

I probably have like 50 pills right now I should flush, had some bad kidney stones.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
You should always keep some Vicodin handy. You never know when you might need it in an emergency.

On the topic at hand. I read through the article, and it's not setting off my bullshit detectors. Sadly, I think it's mostly true. I hope it turns out being baseless rumors, because this is the sort of kickstarter I would have fallen for if I had known about it. I was a big fan of Chris Roberts' games growing up. Wing Commander and Privateer; god, I wish someone would bring them back today. I would have willingly backed the project on the name and nostalgic memories.

Which is folly, because the truth is I don't know anything about Chris Roberts. He could be a petulant self-aggrandizing prick. He kind of comes across that way in his responses to the Escapist article.

Well, let's see how this plays out...

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I just don't like Chris Roberts every time I have seen him in a video on top of that I just don't like it when people hire family members in elevated positions. I don't like it at all. Add to that the "hopium" they are peddling and I don't like the entire game.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Which is folly, because the truth is I don't know anything about Chris Roberts. He could be a petulant self-aggrandizing prick.
Like I said before, he very likely is. That is not a disqualifier for running a successful company or shipping a successful product.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Are expired meds bad, or is that just a way to make me throw away all the good pills I hoard away?