Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The kickstarter was in october 2012, the promised delivery date back then was november 2014. what have they delivered unil now, july 2015? some alpha "modules"... release date is more or less "when its done" right now...yup everything goes according to plan...oh, buy our newest ship plz, its fantastic!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The original Kickstarter was for a single player game, that's why. After that first 20 million it became something else.

Tauro

Nope, read the original KS description... with all stretch goal available and unlocked at that time (up to 6m), it was (quoted):

"Real quick, Star Citizen is:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player ? Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win

For more information, there?s a lot to read down below, and there?s our ?living document? The Star Citizen Project you can comb through also. Also - all games come with a digital copy of the Manual."

Star Citizen by Cloud Imperium Games Corporation Kickstarter

Tauro

I bougt a "Rear Admiral"-package (250$) back then, i really hope they will deliver and will play the shit out of SC (persistent universe at least) if they do
smile.png

Carl_sl

shitlord
I have no doubts that the infrastructure will be there with the persistent univers with its space sim and fps and trading portions. For me the question is when the are completed will they actually be fun. At the price I paid if I get squadron 42 I will have gotten my moneys worth though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If/when they fail, they'll have made the most expensive, longest video documentary series on how to fail at making a video game. :p

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Dayum. Pretty much my thoughts and why I've stopped short of pledging anything more than the whatever I spent on KS years ago.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Derek Smart is literally a crazy person who is well known for ranting about bullshit. Most of that article is him quoting himself.

The fact that Chris Roberts got the money to make Derek Smart's dream game, while the industry has been laughing at Derek Smart for 2-3 decades now, just pushes him over the top.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
As I said, the article seemed sensible. I think the greatest cause for concern here is the point he made: their income from the ships they're selling actively discourage them from being open with the community. Over the next year, when more and more crap has to get cut from this bloated piece of hopium, we're going to see some awesome spin
doctoring.

I understand Derek Smart's bias and history, but if you disagree with that article then debate his points. Or, y'know, just call him crazy and buy more ships for a game that doesn't exist.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I don't know anything about this smart guy but I just read a post saying that Executive Producer Alex Mayberry has left the company basing this information on his having updated an end date to his linkdin CIG job profile.

I checked and he has an end date listed as june 2015 for his employment. That's pretty weak confirmation but it's there

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
He's loud, brash and a braggart but it doesn't make him wrong. I've been saying the same thing for a while now too. There is no way they will deliver on everything they have promised.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
He has experience designing games with dev teams of approximately one person.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
As I said, the article seemed sensible. I think the greatest cause for concern here is the point he made: their income from the ships they're selling actively discourage them from being open with the community. Over the next year, when more and more crap has to get cut from this bloated piece of hopium, we're going to see some awesome spin
doctoring.

I understand Derek Smart's bias and history, but if you disagree with that article then debate his points. Or, y'know, just call him crazy and buy more ships for a game that doesn't exist.
Rule 1 of the Internet is never quote, argue, or agree with that guy. C'mon man.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
It was a well-written article and the points he made are legit. You don't think this game, from inception to funding to where we are now is surreal?

What do you disagree with?
If you know who Derek Smart is, that's all that you need to consider about what was written there.

Blackwulf

N00b
I don't know anything about this smart guy but I just read a post saying that Executive Producer Alex Mayberry has left the company basing this information on his having updated an end date to his linkdin CIG job profile.

I checked and he has an end date listed as june 2015 for his employment. That's pretty weak confirmation but it's there
This was interesting to me when I first read about it over the weekend. I've only really been following this game since around January, so it wasn't real clear to me who this Alex Mayberry was, and why this was a "big deal." Turns out, Mayberry was a big deal when CR signed him onto the team because he was a hotshot producer from Blizzard that was in charge of some pretty big games, most notably Diablo III. Funny thing is, most of the community was very unhappy about CR hiring him because of the same thing - Diablo III and the clusterfuck that it was at launch. In fact, many armchair devs hold Mayberry responsible for things like REC and the ever-inflating ship sales and micro transactions.

Well here's my take on things: Mayberry rose through the ranks at Blizzard, going from one successful IP to another, and I'm really not sure how responsible he is for the successes of those IPs, being one producer out of many on most of them. CR hired him at the peak of his career, to work for a studio that was relatively small at the time. Since then, CIG has grown to 300 employees, plus another 200 contractors or so. CIG has started to attract a lot more attention and has since gathered a lot more talent under it's roof, including people like Todd Papy from Crytek. With high profile professionals developing parts of the game, including a whole office full of serious German motherfuckers, don't you think, internally, it starts to become obvious who belongs and who's faking it? I'm not saying I know for sure, but I think Alex Mayberry was in over his head. Here's a guy who has an AA degree in liberal arts and has kind of climbed up in the industry because he was attached to a couple big IPs from a successful company. In fact some of the ideas for those IPs that have drawn the most criticism were his. Who would you blame for many missed internal deadlines if not the executive producer on a project? I think CR was pressured by some of the more recent, serious talent that has joined the company to start cutting the fat, and he was forced to admit that Mayberry was a mistake from day one.

Edit:

Regarding Derek Smart, this is from the Reddit thread:

I just found this on one of his game's steam pages:
In reference to "Interstellar Citizens":
Guy:
That was a really good read. Thanks. Was there ever any chance that you could have been involved it Star Citizen? Would seem like that would have been a good teamup.
DSmart:
Well, they never reached out to me. If they had, I would have gladly been involved in that game, and they would've benefited from my experience I think.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.