Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Cybsled

ArcCorp is easy to solve. Basically surround the planet with some type of shielding/barrier, so you limit where ships can enter. Then once they enter, ground bases controllers auto-pilot your ship down to pre-determined landing spots. Ditto for takeoffs.

Blackwulf

N00b
Yeah with regard to ArcCorp - it would make sense if they have a defense grid to prevent random landing/flight paths - the whole planet is a city, you'd need to protect the populace from terrorist/pirate/bad pilot activity.

Blackwulf

N00b
My god, the amount of fanboy/cult/whiteknight of this game is still making me laugh.

Sure, the 50 mins Gamescom demo looks interesting. But that's just the dump down version of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare 22 mins demo. Ground FPS, planetary travel, space dog fight, zero G FPS, enter/exit spaceship. The CoD demo does it MUCH better, and I am sure CoD will offer multiplayer verison of it.

So at this point, beside selling all kind of virtual ships for ridiculous amount of $$$, and that promised so call "persistent universe", which I haven't seen any of it, nor I believe they can make it work technically. This is the biggest gaming scam I have ever seen.

Not sure the two games are really comparable - COD is even more on rails than the Division. I mean you don't even get to create a character, you play as "Lt. Reyes." Watching that demo, it seemed interchangeable with any modern FPS mission based game. Am I missing something? Is there an MMO portion? Some kind of sandbox mode? It really doesn't seem like a comparable genre. Maybe with Squadron 42 - but again - squadron 42 will have sandbox elements/RPG elements in that you'll be making your own character and have some freedom between missions to do shit. I really don't think you can compare it to the PU, though.

Variise

N00b
COD Infinite Warfare is partly on rails and partly free play. Parts of the gameplay you are free to roam but you have objectives so in that sense it's like SQ42. You will also be able to pick side missions to complete. It's a bit like the original Wing Commander from that standpoint which IMO is a good thing and finally after all these years since I played COD 1 it's their real only first step forward.

However the similarities end there. They literally took one feature from games like Mass Effect and the original Wing Commander. If that's supposed to make up for what it doesn't do I wouldn't know where to begin listing what it's missing because that list would go on for a couple of pages single spaced. There's gotta be at least a hundred features or more it doesn't have that SC does already or will at launch.

The comparison between COD: IW and SC is veneer thin at best. It's like comparing a bi-plane to a F-22.... just don't.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Am I missing something? Is there an MMO portion? Some kind of sandbox mode?

Is there in Star Citizen? Real question; I have no skin in the game but I haven't seen anything to show such with Star Citizen content. I mean actual gameplay/videos, not promises.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Is there in Star Citizen? Real question; I have no skin in the game but I haven't seen anything to show such with Star Citizen content. I mean actual gameplay/videos, not promises.

The Co-Op squad play at gamescom looked pretty MMO to me.

Variise

N00b
A big milestone toward an MMO, if that's what you are trying to achieve, is persistence. Since 2.4 there is now persistence in SC. DS, with his acolytes parroting it, claimed it was impossible. Yet here we are. It's why nobody should put any stock in what those people say.

You really have to disassociate some features of the game if you are going to try to make a comparison straight to an MMO which COD: IW is not.

So persistence is one. Another one is real physically based, not faked, characters with animations, not faked, coupled with again real physically based ballistics that are also not faked. You can argue that it's not important but it is when it comes to precision for an FPS based MMO. Pretty much everyone fakes all of these because the difficulty is 11 in implementing even one of the latter 3 I listed so they simply cheat. If you don't have these features implemented you run into issues where the player from their first person view not matching with the position of their character. It's a non-issue in a single player FPS but it causes all kinds of problems and devs having to cheat with hit boxes and the environment (leading to a level design decision) before you ever got off the ground.

So that's 4 features just off the top of my head and 3 of the 4 are in game right now. Ballistics is also in but technically it's in the wrong position of the gun so it's in but it's just not 100% correct until they push 2.6 live.

I'll add a big 5th one. Multi-crew combined with their zone system allowing you to move objects from one physically based object to another. Again irrelevant and can be cheated if it's a single player or even just Co-Op but in a live environment the difficulty is 11. Even today you can get desynced due to the CryEngine netcode but most of the time it works so I think that counts. Plus it's getting a revamp in 3.0

Lets combine the character and animations into one and call that one feature, persistence a second, Multi-Crew combined with physically based zone interaction between physical objects live a 3rd and ballistics a 4th. All of them are live.

I'm sure there are others I just can't think of them right now.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
MMO my ass. How are their engine is going to support hundreds of players in a small area with all those fancy "real physics"? Have they shown their engine is capable of doing that? Even more funny they break the game into two: Squadron 42 and SC, what an indication.

It's a scam at this point, all I saw at best is NO MORE than 5 people with NO MORE than 5 NPC(non of them has AI either) playing Co-Op in all their demo, oh yes, the demo also travel NO MORE than 5 places (no world maps no nothing). They have NEVER shown this is an MMO. Even No Man's Sky offer more in term of world scale.

And I don't even want to mention how many years this game has been in development.

So, MMO my ass, you can throw all your money to Chris Roberts for his retirement fund as you want.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
MMO my ass. How are their engine is going to support hundreds of players in a small area with all those fancy "real physics"? Have they shown their engine is capable of doing that? Even more funny they break the game into two: Squadron 42 and SC, what an indication.
It won't support hundreds. They've said getting more than 64 players in a given instance of local space is not going to happen at launch and even 64 is pushing it.

The current release can easily support 24 people in a given instance, with instances being spawned on rather optimized servers.

Your posts seem to ignore the fact that there is a live build that's been played right now.

Variise

N00b
Small correction Mist those statements were based on the currently implemented zone system and it will be true in 3.0 as well but it's going away.

They have no idea how many people they can allow but it will work like Phasing. Their internal tests suggest they might be able to get hundreds to thousands in a phase but how close is the question we won't have an answer until next year.

Wouldn't put any stock in people attacking that since previous claims that Multi-Crew couldn't be figured out, persistence wouldn't be figured out and they wouldn't get past a half dozen to a dozen people wouldn't be figured out were all proven wrong with time.

In this case time is the cure all. :)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Tired of you thinking everyone that has an opinion different from you must be parroting it. Some of us never read what DS or any other website has to say and still have dislikes and doubts.

You are 100% parroting unabashedly but complaining that other people are the might not be.

I don't think you have a single post without lines like "they said" or "Chris said".

• 1Like

Variise

N00b
Tired of you thinking everyone that has an opinion different from you must be parroting it. Some of us never read what DS or any other website has to say and still have dislikes and doubts.

You are 100% parroting unabashedly but complaining that other people are the might not be.

I don't think you have a single post without lines like "they said" or "Chris said".

Your opinion is your own as is mine. The difference between me and most everyone else is my opinion is an informed opinion. Theirs isn't.

You have a right to your opinion. You don't have a right to your facts. I don't care about anyone's opinion anymore I only care about facts so when they misspeak I'm going to correct it to the best of my ability.

You claim I don't provide content so I go out of my way to provide content. You want facts I give it. Those are not opinions or open to debate. So expect comments from me if people make uninformed statements.

When the game is released right now is an opinion. What features the game currently posses are facts not open to opinion or cherry picking like some just tried to do.

I'm parroting? I already addressed this. It looks like parroting because you people are only reading the fact parts of my statements and mistake it for opinion. They are not. Up to date I have made exactly a single mistake in my statements and that was about the Multi-Crew module. Everyone else attacking the game has been objectively wrong in virtually every statement they dared to bring up since page 1.

I really don't care anymore what your opinion of the game is or anyone else's for that matter. I realize I was being trolled by multiple people with some kind of mental illness. Have at it. Joke's on you because I'm not getting upset about it anymore.

What I care about and what I will comment on are opinions masquerading as facts. Yeah if you think I'm going to take that lying down that's worth a laugh.

What you call parroting is looking at the game/project objectively and criticizing it in a rational manner vs the irrational vomit you think is a valid argument. Nobody sane outside this forum reading this, and I have shown some of these comments to a few very objective people I know asking if I'm crazy, think the majority of the comments laid against me or the game are rational. An old EQ raid GL I know simply said... "Dude what do you expect it's FOH. They are all dicks".

While I don't fully agree with him since he is basing his opinion on what FOH was during the height of EQ and I know some of you are very rational he has a point. The vocal minority has an itch. That itch has to be scratched. So scratch it. I don't give two shits anymore. I will continue to provide facts and my informed opinion I really don't care if anyone is tired of it.

Prove to me I'm wrong and I will analyse my statements. Otherwise let them say their peace and let me object to it.

• 1Like

Variise

N00b
None yet but just saying that Variise is going to come in here complaining that it is parroting DS.

Have you read any of the DS sub-reddit or statements made? If not I can see why you think so but honestly you should know better by now. I'm going to say something if I see that it's objectively parroting someone else's statements.

Walk softly in that sub-reddit or on the SA forums because it's pure cancer.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Don't overestimate how much time people put into proving SC wrong. They might follow the naysayers, but it's just as likely that they formed their "lol vaporware" opinion a year or two ago and follow neither the game development nor the haters closely if at all.

Sho'nuff

Golden Knight of the Realm
I can understand people resenting the insane amount of money RSI is asking people to donate for "ships" for a project that doesn't as of yet exist as a game. How do you know if you will even like playing it when it does finally release? Also, Roberts does have a history of not meeting all his ambitions for games he has developed in the past.

But criticizing people for not understanding the technical challenges doesn't resolve skepticism. Most (including me) don't understand game development so can't appreciate or follow the details of the process of making this game. What might be a huge technical hurdle overcome is just a lot of gibberish to us.

All I know is what happens when I load it and try to play it, and currently it isn't much fun and pretty buggy. But I understand that is to be expected at this early alpha stage of release. It is gorgeous, though.

But naysayers are correct in calling me a fanboi. I loved Wing Commander, and invested my 80 bucks in the game based on that, the fact that I was buying two future games, (both the mmo and rpg) and my opinion of Roberts. I got a ship too, an Orion 315p, so if 2 semi-decent games are ever released, it will turn out to actually be a good deal.

But there is a limit for me. I think asking people to donate hundreds of dollars for possible future virtual items is pretty ballsy and smacks of pay to win. But, on the other hand, if you want a fantastic game, it costs fantastic amounts of money and that money has to come from somewhere. Maybe getting money from 1.4 million PC gaming aficionados is a better choice than from some greedy, unimaginative corp.

Last edited:

Sho'nuff

Golden Knight of the Realm

Tons of vids on YouTube. They just updated from 2.4 to 2.5, so you might be better off watching those vid versions than some earlier ones. There are plenty of people playing it on Twitch as well.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My god, the amount of fanboy/cult/whiteknight of this game is still making me laugh.

Cmon, admit you're hella psyched about grabby hands! A mechanic profession, maaaaan! Hopefully we'll be able to get whisked around the universe while in a windowless engineering bay running back and forth having to fuck with a shitty grabby-hands mechanism (because has it ever been anything but annoying in any game ever?) while our friends act like our bosses and constantly ask us the ETA on when they can start having fun again! It's gonna be as exciting as the times the engineering officer never, ever got laid on Star Trek, not even Kirk's sloppy seconds! I'm stoked! Everyone wants to be a star-ship mechanic, so I just hope I don't get stuck being a dumb ol' captain!

Good to see Variise and Blackwulf bringing the truth with Star Citizen (and the other game that is now a separate game they're charging for), though, now that TESO became the best game ever and doesn't require their endless shilling anymore.

edit: or was it Vitality sucking the TESO dick hard? Either way...

Last edited:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Have you read any of the DS sub-reddit or statements made? If not I can see why you think so but honestly you should know better by now. I'm going to say something if I see that it's objectively parroting someone else's statements.

Walk softly in that sub-reddit or on the SA forums because it's pure cancer.
I read neither sub on purpose, not pro or against. I form my own opinions.

It doesn't matter if you think it is objective of not but you are the king parrot here.

There are 17 different face options. <-- objective statement parroted

We think that we are close to finishing up the cooking module <-- subjective parroting

Just because the developers have said it doesn't make it objective.