Star Control RETURNS?!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Greetings!
25 years ago, I became obsessed with a game called Star Control?. My friends and I poured hours into playing it together. Two years later, Star Control 2 came out, forcing me to spend all my waking hours exploring worlds, meeting crazy aliens, and of course, saving the galaxy.
For years, I waited for another game that would combine a sandbox exploration game with a compelling story but alas, nothing has approached the heights of Star Control 2 for me.
A couple of years ago, Atari?, which had acquired Accolade, the original publishers of the Star Control series, sold us their rights to the franchise.
So here we are, nearly a quarter century later and I'm happy to let you know that we are making a new Star Control game!
Now, you might wonder when you'll be able to join us in talking about the design, the new aliens, the new worlds, and the new adventures. The answer to that is NOW.
Our Founder's Program is ready to go and we're excited to start talking about the game with our community. It is as near and dear to us as it is to many of you, so your feedback and thoughts are extremely important to me.
Because this franchise is so loved, we are looking for people who are sincerely invested in the future of these games. In order to do this, we are asking that people who would like the opportunity to join our Founder's Program fill out a survey, which you can find here: LINK REMOVED SINCE I'M NOT SURE SHARING IS KOSHER
Please note: You need to complete the entire survey in order to be considered to join the Star Control Founder's Program!
You should join our Founder's Program if:
? You have an interest in watching the development process
? You enjoy playing games in their earliest phases and offering feedback
? You love Star Control and want to nerd out about it with the rest of us
If you have any other questions about Star Control and what direction Stardock is aiming to take with it, you can take a look at this FAQ post here. We are really excited about this project and hope that you are, too! Please remember that even if you aren't accepted to the program in the initial wave, we will continue to accept more users as we move toward release.
Star Control. It's happening. Get hyped ? I know that I am.
Regards,
Brad Wardell
CEO/President
Stardock
Uhm... don't suck don't suck don't suck don't suck...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Links:

Fans Can Help Developer Stardock Determine the Future of Star Control - IGN

Founders survey:

Star Control Founder's Program Application Survey

Anyway, I could have sworn there was a thread for this since the CEO of Stardock has talked about this before. Couldn't find anything though.

Not sure why he just doesn't do a Kickstarter. Like Wasteland 2, Elite, Shadowrun, Battletech, etc. are all record breaking KS funding and based on nostalgic video game IPs... Maybe this survey will determine if the KS is worth doing?

Vaclav

I'd known it was coming (although I didn't realize it was Stardock) - but amped regardless.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Oh and Reiche and Ford are being consulted, but they can't get directly involved. They got Starlander money anyway.

edit: SKYLANDERS. Fuck. Not that I play with that stuff. No sir. For those whoever wondered what happened to the SC creators, they did damn well for themselves, moreso than the douches who bought Star Control and ruined it with 3.

Toys for Bob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vaclav

You all played Mass Effect right? Basically fps version of SC.
Didn't care to answer it last night because I was tired, but that's overly simplistic. SC definitely influenced ME1 (and 2/3 to a lesser degree) in many good ways, but there was alot of key things missing that really made SC as amazing as it was, ME was really damn good - I'd put it CLOSE to SC2, but SC2 > ME1 to me.

For one thing, SC2 was serious and not serious at the same time - a lightness that ME doesn't have for the mostpart except for some background stuff like Blamo! - the Hanar Spectre. I still remember most of the Orz dialogue to this day, in fact after reading the email to the wife, we were talking back and forth as Orz for a good hour or so while playing Fallout 4, we're odd birds. It would likely make you *frumple* as well as the other *campers* - no more *smiley times*.

Completely different ends of the emotional scale for the majority of each.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I always just made me chuckle personally.

Syreen = Asari
Them/Orz = Reapers

etc.

Vaclav

I always just made me chuckle personally.

Syreen = Asari
Them/Orz = Reapers

etc.
Orz = Reapers?!

Either I'm completely forgetting something or that's a very bizarre interpretation. Only similarity between them I can think of is the "fishiness" to each and that they're "from someplace else" in each case with a relatively alien mindset to us. (At least early Reapers - ME3 really made them less cryptic)

Do keep in mind I never played SC3 too much, I couldn't stand to play it more than a few hours - and SC3 isn't considered canon at this point. So if there was something with the Orz that is related to SC3 that's why I'm clueless on it.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Holy shit I used to love this game on my C-64. I remember anxiously waiting for the school bell to go off at 3:30PM and racing the fuck home on my bicycle with one of my friends so we could play this all fucking night.

Vaclav

Holy shit I used to love this game on my C-64. I remember anxiously waiting for the school bell to go off at 3:30PM and racing the fuck home on my bicycle with one of my friends so we could play this all fucking night.
Indeed, so many good memories - in my case I remember bonding with my brother in law over it - thought it was so damn cool that my bro-in-law was into PC gaming as well. Would talk to him for hours about SC2 at family functions and such. (As well as Phantasmagoria which he was into - I never played that one though)

He's since falling out of love with gaming though.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I used to have my nose up Stardock's ass with their stance on DRM. My problems with them started with Elemental: War of Magic. It was a completely buggy mess, which lost them a lot of credibility in my eyes. They fixed it a bit with Fallen Enchantress, but their attempt at a spiritual successor to MOM fell pretty damn short. They finally lost every bit of goodwill they had built up in my eyes when they made Gal Civ III early access. I'll be taking ahugewait and see approach to this.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Orz = Reapers?!

Either I'm completely forgetting something or that's a very bizarre interpretation. Only similarity between them I can think of is the "fishiness" to each and that they're "from someplace else" in each case with a relatively alien mindset to us. (At least early Reapers - ME3 really made them less cryptic)

Do keep in mind I never played SC3 too much, I couldn't stand to play it more than a few hours - and SC3 isn't considered canon at this point. So if there was something with the Orz that is related to SC3 that's why I'm clueless on it.
Well theyre both extragalatic beings that are all powerful and are wanting to destroy other advanced life.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
They destroyed all who discovered them. The taalo and androsynth. And the aeralou or however you spell their names warn you about them over and over.

Vaclav

They destroyed all who discovered them. The taalo and androsynth. And the aeralou or however you spell their names warn you about them over and over.
Were they the ones that did it though? I always got the impression that they were more like a "bad omen" to the people that they interacted to when it came to something big and bad coming. (Think Silver Surfer's relation to Galactus - shit's going down when you see The Silver Surfer, but he's not doing anything himself)

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love Star Control 2. I still think about it every week or so. It came to me at one of my most prolific ages. I encountered the Orz as I learned about cells for the first time. I interpreted their *TINY BUBBLES* as cells and was like "They're made of something other than cells?! Talk about far out". That same year I discovered Ninja Scrolls, the first adult cartoon I had ever seen. That same year came Heavy Metal.

I used to study the paper Star Map that came with the game.

Edit: My avatar is Star Control

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user