Star Trek Beyond (2016)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
on reimaging..

nobody has issues till it trips their nostalgia & identity.
id make kirk and spock gay/bi, as an adjunt to the plot, just to hear the outcries. it shouldnt make a difference. a blackspiderman, bring it on. itll ellucidate the subtle homophobia but allow for plausible deniablity. bigits wont then be able to relate vicariously with them and will be upset because menwhohavesexwithmen is something less.

making a char gay does not add character depth. it does however allow gay kids to actually to look up to the main character in a more relatable positive light. thats something i NEVER hear. and guess what?.. gay kids have always looked up to straight heroes not because they were straight but because they were heroes. it should go the other way without outcry. generally you couldnt have had gay characters back then. closest things were feminized often implied villans. an interracial kiss was taboo then. im suprised that takei wasnt moved by this -- its a really thoughtful gesture.
No, it's idiotic. If the character was originally written as being gay, it would be fine. retconning the character to be gay, because the actor who plays Sulu is gay in real life, is stupid and pointless, much like your entire post.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I guess Barney Stinson was gay all along. This changes everything. What next? The Matrix oracle was a devout lesbian?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The solution is simple: write in a new character with a good/decent actor so it isn't shittily acted and have them be gay. Now you have a gay character in Star Trek without shitting directly on the fanbase just to promote a narrative. Not over the top Keegan from
But more like Jordan Peele's character.

This is the same problem with Marvel retconning random shit like Iceman being gay (never a thing until recently) or nutjob trannies thinking that Samus Aran is a "new half" because of a joke from a writer. All that shit does is piss off tons of people who have been supporting brands for decades. Instead, make new characters going forward and don't make them one trick stupid "Hi I'm here just because I'm gay." But that requires way too much effort apparently, so it's make-a-random-character-gay time in Hollywood, after literally decades of the character being straight.

Creativity is not a strong suit in Hollywood.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wat. I thought it was her informing him that he was gay vs. turning him gay. Her turning him gay makes it even more retarded, though only barely.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wat. I thought it was her informing him that he was gay vs. turning him gay. Her turning him gay makes it even more retarded, though only barely.
It's just fans being snarky and turned into a little bit of a meme but the way the panels are laid out you do get that impression.

youre cherrypicking the retcon. given the era, you really couldnt have a main char be publicly gay. so, in reboots, giving them that option isnt inconceiveable. whereas, dumbledore being gay is not ok. also, adding gay chars into the wheel of time feels shoehorned (latter books).

this is about era. sometimes for me its fine other times notso. incidentally, there was a fuck ton of homophobes when that spock actor was announced -- in that, he wasnt wanted or that he had to prove himself. this isnt for the fanbase, its mainstream now.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
So what's your point exactly?

They had no choice but to make Sulu gay?

Couldn't make Scotty or Bones gay?

What about a hawt lesbian or 3?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Everyone knows that when you time travel back to the past for a reboot it spontaneously makes random characters gay.

Given the era you also couldn't have a white guy and black woman kiss on TV.
there was cultural room for it. and they did in 68. not possible for mainstream gay at that time. stonewall was a year later.

So what's your point exactly?

They had no choice but to make Sulu gay?

Couldn't make Scotty or Bones gay?

What about a hawt lesbian or 3?
that it was a nice gesture and to call it as i see it. that its nuanced. that ppl are fine are with the gays until they have a gay son themselves(often) == or until it rubs up on something they themselves identify with. then you see it how is it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Even the original actor says it was a dumb decision, and he's gay. It's not a nice gesture; it's retarded pandering. Make a new character, don't randomly retcon old ones. Sulu wasn't gay in the show, and it wasn't hinted at in the show. The character was never gay, regardless if the writers wanted to make him gay or not. Suddenly turning him gay, and almost 100% entirely because Takei is gay, is stupid.

Even the original actor says it was a dumb decision, and he's gay. It's not a nice gesture; it's retarded pandering. Make a new character, don't randomly retcon old ones. Sulu wasn't gay in the show, and it wasn't hinted at in the show. The character was never gay, regardless if the writers wanted to make him gay or not. Suddenly turning him gay, and almost 100% entirely because Takei is gay, is stupid.
i disagree. it is cheesy though and im suprised at his response. but it was a kind gesture.

spronk

FPS noob
in another tribute to takei, in the new movie sulu is segregated in the prison planet because the aliens just don't trust asians after their base was attacked in a sneak attack by the asian planet

i just hope at the end of the movie kirk isn't forced to drop nukes on two of the alien cities to force them to surrender

still surprised at how high this is on RT, currently 89% but only 27 reviews so far