Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Star Trek movies have -never- felt like the average episode. You have to compare Star Trek movies to other Star Trek movies; you can't just say "this wouldn't happen in the series!" because it means nothing when compared, and literally never has.

Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home takes place almost entirely on earth, in much more mundane settings than weird gladiator/No Escape world. There's very little space anything involved. This is generally a biggish departure from your average Star Trek episode in that the Enterprise isn't the focus. In ST4, it wasn't the focus at all. This appears to be a lot like the reboot's ST4, minus environmentalism and humpback whales.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
They need to prematurely evolve the Federation especially now both their fleet and Vulcan have been destroyed. So enter this new uber race who will be both enemy and friend. Why do they need to do this? Otherwise it'll be impossible for Kirk to wtfbbqown the god damned Borg. If fucking Picard hadn't killed him they could have brought him back to beat him the first time while he recited the Declaration of Independence.

Seriously. Kirk vs Borg is coming. They need to give him better tools first or it'd seem implausible. Not even entirely doubtful that we won't see them at the end of this flick.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Star Trek 6 is my favorite of the original movies, and even 2 (everyone else's favorite) didn't have that much action. Fuck, the shows themselves run 50ish minutes, and some are back-to-back 2-parters, that's a movie right there.
Star Trek was never supposed to be action first; it was meant to be a continuing mission of exploration to encounter new alien species/planets. Action was surely part of it, but second to an actual storyline, deep character interaction, and difficult moral choices.

Unfortunately the "reboot", beyond committing heresy such as the destruction of Vulcan, disposed of all that made Star Trek great and replaced it with non-stop Michael Bay garbage. The Star Trek space battles of old-- tense, lumbering, tactical combat-- all replaced with endless neon lens flare dogfighting where you can't even make out wtf is going on.

It's supposed to be Star Trek for the ADD generation, but it's not Star Trek, it's an abomination. Fuck them for ruining a great IP. I rage inside every time some kid says how great the "new" Star Treks are.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I miss Roddenbery and Ellison type of work too, but find these enjoyable for the reasons you lament. I can always pop on some TOS or the movies anytime I want. These are CLEARLY separate.

The original series was just as retarded to older folks too. We've just gotten old. You can't tell me you didn't enjoy Bones or how Kirk was stripped of Cadet status and made acting Captain all in 30 minutes. If that's not a throwback I dunno what is.
tongue.png

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I miss Roddenbery and Ellison type of work too, but find these enjoyable for the reasons you lament. I can always pop on some TOS or the movies anytime I want. These are CLEARLY separate.

The original series was just as retarded to older folks too. We've just gotten old. You can't tell me you didn't enjoy Bones or how Kirk was stripped of Cadet status and made acting Captain all in 30 minutes. If that's not a throwback I dunno what is.
tongue.png
My problem isn't with the casting, it's with the Adderal induced pace of the remakes and Transformers like space combat. They had great *potential* with their casting picks and wasted it.

Personally, I didn't enjoy how Kirk was "stripped of cadet status and was made acting captain in 30 minutes". If anything it exemplifies my gripe of an "adderal induced pace". It ranked up there in terms of stupidity with Wesley being given the bridge in TNG despite not yet making ensign.

Also, Spock being so emotional and banging Uhura is sheer drivel. Heresy in fact.

I probably rewatch the battles in ST:2 a few times a year and they never get old.. The resounding musical score, the whispered navigation commands, watching phasers slowly etch their way into the hull.. It's glorious. Then I watch the scenes in these remakes and I feel like I need some Visine from all the lens flare and wonder how the Enterprise navigates like a dogfighter.

*Shakes old man cane*

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The Uhura stuff really undermines Spocks arc and invalidates the entire Motion Picture which is so underrated today. I was pissed around the time they did DS9 so I'm long past all the shocks now. B5 and Farscape were better sequels than anything since.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Star Trek movies have -never- felt like the average episode. You have to compare Star Trek movies to other Star Trek movies; you can't just say "this wouldn't happen in the series!" because it means nothing when compared, and literally never has.
Insurrection comes close and boy is it not better for it.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It was too preachy. And giving Picard a love story was fucking retarded. The unrequited love story between him and the Doctor was quite good. He's a noble sufferer with a wild past. Picard was completely out of character in that one.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
That's sucks I really liked him as an actor and he was great as Chekov.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
He got ran over by his own car in his driveway... That is a hell of a freak accident.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Either he forgot it was in neutral which seems unlikely with out some kind of influence or it wasn't a freak accident.

Bonch

Golden Knight of the Realm
It really stinks, but I couldn't help thinking of this:

images

Plus the fact that in the last movie, he was given a red shirt. I blame Kirk.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Probably thought he put it in park but put it in neutral instead. It pinned him against his mailbox, so maybe he was grabbing mail on his way out. Freak accident? Not quite. But he didn't need to be high or foul play for this to have happened

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The car didn't start rolling until he got to his mailbox or what? Just doesn't seem right.