Star Trek: Discovery

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Enterprise ended up being really damn good. The overall cast was great, the girls were hot, and who doesn't love Captain Quantum Leap?

Saw it with my own 2 eyes, there was tons more shit like that. They really play up that "bunch of humans in space get cabin fever and want to fuck everything they see" angle.
And I seem to recall a couple instances of T'pol experiencing Vulcan Horny Rage.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I honestly think they underplayed that element too much in other series. There was always one or two romantic dalliances, but barely contained lust is rare. I think casual sex would be far more likely. They're fit, less religious, have great medical care, and are trapped with each other for long periods. Enterprise had it right.

I have to agree that Tripp was the best character. Even without his interactions with T'Pol he was more fun and interesting than anyone else.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I honestly think they underplayed that element too much in other series. There was always one or two romantic dalliances, but barely contained lust is rare. I think casual sex would be far more likely. They're fit, less religious, have great medical care, and are trapped with each other for long periods. Enterprise had it right.

I have to agree that Tripp was the best character. Even without his interactions with T'Pol he was more fun and interesting than anyone else.
I always thought that the holodeck was used for those purposes in 24th century.

I haven't watched a new scifi show in over a year so I just started watching Star Trek TNG season 1 last week.

Man, I forgot how bad the first season was. Well not the entire season, but i'd say about half the episodes I've watched so far are just face palm worthy.

Here's hoping season two picks up, I honestly can't remember because it's been so long since I watched this series.

iannis

Musty Nester
It seems like in a perfect world there would be some way to mitigate the first season shitty's. It's not just Star Trek, but Star Trek (and most sci-fi) does suffer from it.

It's not just exposition, or the nature of ensemble shows for the actors, or the writers working with unfamiliar material / dialogues, or everyone involved trying to carve out some interest against a "new shows suck" momentum. First seasons just tend to be shitty.

I guess it would be pretty stupid to do a run of like 40 shows then after everyone involved has a good feel for it go back and rewrite / restage your first 20. The shows that manage to get it right from day 1 are pretty freaking rare tho.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Enterprise ended up being really damn good. The overall cast was great, the girls were hot, and who doesn't love Captain Quantum Leap?
Basically, once Berman and Brega fucked off (S3) the new showrunners started turning Enterprise into what itshouldhave been from the start (an actual prequel showing the beginning of the Federation) rather than just Voyager 2: The Early Years.

And then it got cancelled.

Reminder - S5, if it had happened, would have given NX-01 a refit:
rrr_img_3351.jpg

rrr_img_3351.jpg

rrr_img_3351.jpg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It seems like in a perfect world there would be some way to mitigate the first season shitty's. It's not just Star Trek, but Star Trek (and most sci-fi) does suffer from it.

It's not just exposition, or the nature of ensemble shows for the actors, or the writers working with unfamiliar material / dialogues, or everyone involved trying to carve out some interest against a "new shows suck" momentum. First seasons just tend to be shitty.

I guess it would be pretty stupid to do a run of like 40 shows then after everyone involved has a good feel for it go back and rewrite / restage your first 20. The shows that manage to get it right from day 1 are pretty freaking rare tho.
Was going through this with the fianc? just this morning. Really want to start going through a new Sci Fi show with her but was struggling to pick one because the 1st seasons of most are always so bad. She really liked Galactica, Firefly, Buffy, Supernatural; so now I'm picking between TNG, DS9, Farscape, or Babylon 5.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
BSG had a great first season because the miniseries started the show off with a massive amount of momentum. Shows just need to start their story arcs immediately and fill in the rest as the story progresses.

spronk

FPS noob
Was going through this with the fianc? just this morning. Really want to start going through a new Sci Fi show with her but was struggling to pick one because the 1st seasons of most are always so bad. She really liked Galactica, Firefly, Buffy, Supernatural; so now I'm picking between TNG, DS9, Farscape, or Babylon 5.
you can skip the first 2 seasons of TNG (maybe just watch the Q episodes) and not miss a thing, go back after you are done and rewatch it for completion. Its a little harder with DS9 and B5 since they build up a lot of background in those 2.

I'd also recommend Farscape as a show she may like, Aeryn and all the other female chars are pretty awesome unlike TNG.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
I'd also recommend Farscape as a show she may like, Aeryn and all the other female chars are pretty awesome unlike TNG.
Farscape was fantastic. At some point they just decided that Crichton was going to have the worst day of his life every day for the rest of his life. Scorpius was another one shot villain who was played so fantastically that they made him a central character. He always found new ways to screw with Chrichron's head and at the end when he finally revealed everything he already knew about wormholes, that had to be one of the single greatest plot twists in television history.

Uhura's was a powerful female character for the time simply by her appearance as part of the command crew. They tried to write a tough woman in TNG but Tasha Yar just didn't click and somehow returned to create one of the most incomprehensible story lines in all of trekdom. Troi was Riker's useless ex-girlfriend and got her position because of her mother. Beverly and Pulaski were both good characters but may have been underutilized. Dr Crusher seemed to have far more interest in other fields than medicine but they only played to that as a plot device and not a character strength, Pulaski was a female Dr. Mccoy.

Basically, once Berman and Brega fucked off (S3) the new showrunners started turning Enterprise into what it should have been from the start (an actual prequel showing the beginning of the Federation) rather than just Voyager 2: The Early Years.
This makes sense as it seemed they were rushing to fix the incongruities between the rest of the series lore and Enterprise's unique take on that established lore. New ship designs would have been built into the show by virtue of Earth trading for new technologies and expanding on their own discoveries as they are put to practical use. The first Warp 5 ship would be replaced as soon as they realized it was not adequate for the challenges and dangers of the universe. Earth would have been at a severe technological disadvantage early on and would have had to rely on forming an alliance with others to overcome the horde of Klingons they had unwittingly made aware of their position. The Vulcans may have been aware of the danger but did nothing as the Klingons were not expanding in their direction at the time being embroiled in the internal struggles the Empire has when there is no clear enemy to fight. The Andoiran-Vulcan conflict was well done at least.

I would have loved to see at the end of season 1 the first encounter with the Klingon empire. I imagine that the ship would have been severely damaged but allowed to limp back to Earth for the Empire to trace. That would have been more satisfying than the temporal cold war crap they went with.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_4175.jpg

I saw this in FSR and had to repost here.

I keep forgetting about the thing about Voyager that bothered me the more they did it.

Voyager was supposed to be a show about isolation, about being cut off from the Alpha Quadrant.
But it wasn't
Every couple of weeks they would run into some shit that wound up in the Delta Quadrant long before they got there.
The Ferengi Made some sort of sense and did Q. A starfleet ship so far from the Alpha Quadrant might get his curiosity. 7 of 9 made sense because of the Borg transportation network but stumbling across her ship just doesn't make any sense to me.
The missed a crossover opportunity, that Gem'Hadar fleet didn't necessarily just disappear; it's more likely they could have simply been tossed somewhere else as the Prophets didn't seem too keen on killing anyone.

for fun lets list all of the Alpha quadrant stuff in the Voyager series.

rrr_img_4175.jpg

fucker_sl

shitlord
from what i remember, they did not stumble over her ship by chance. 7o9 was picked by the collective as a representative since she was one of the few human borg in the delta quadrant

and also..screw logic...she has massive boobs

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
from what i remember, they did not stumble over her ship by chance. 7o9 was picked by the collective as a representative since she was one of the few human borg in the delta quadrant

and also..screw logic...she has massive boobs
Jeri Ryan and her massive talents certainly helped turn the show around. At the same time she was a great actress who could effortlessly playing off of the other cast members while on occasion showing off her singing ability and doing it all while wearing a uniform that was painted onto a flawless body.

You are correct about how they met 7o9, but they later stumbled across the ship she had been abducted form while they were easily 50 years away from earth at Voyager's top speed.

I am re-watching the series and highlights from season 1 include the most advanced ship created by the federation nearly being destroyed by cheese. During a chance meeting with Amelia Earhart. Ensign Kim uses his tricorder to locate the power source for Earhart's S.O.S and finds it to be the giant glowing alien device he had somehow failed to notice visually.

I had forgotten about Seska. Episodes staring her were the highlight of the first seasons mostly because she was completely fucking nuts and was written with the same kind of cruel insanity the Dukat and Khan possessed.

spronk

FPS noob
My favorite 7 of 9 fact is that the actress basically got obama elected. Her husband wanted her to come with him to sex clubs and do kinky shit, she said fuck that and revealed it all in the divorce. He was a congressman or senator in Chicago, Obama ran to replace him and won. Star Trek advances racial harmony IRL.

Doctor and 7 were definitely the highlights, and really only good part of the show. Their episodes were always awesome. And who the fuck would pick T'Pal over 7, I mean sure shes hot and all but dat haircut, she looks like frodo.

iannis

Musty Nester
Your logic sounds flawless to me.

7-of-9-vs-tpal-who-is-mor-fapable-demotivational-poster-1258622552.jpg
How can it even be a debate?

The worst T'pal will do is mind control you every so often and only fuck you about once every five years. So that's basically no worse than any normal marriage. 7 of 9 on the other hand is a fucking ginger.

Salacious_sl

shitlord
The worst T'pal will do is mind control you every so often and only fuck you about once every five years. So that's basically no worse than any normal marriage. 7 of 9 on the other hand is a fucking ginger.
7 of 9 has borg nanoprobe implants. You can basically destroy her holes and the nano bots will repair them post-haste. T'pol will use logic to argue against abnormal sex acts, and be a general downer.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
7 of 9 has borg nanoprobe implants. You can basically destroy her holes and the nano bots will repair them post-haste. T'pol will use logic to argue against abnormal sex acts, and be a general downer.
"Since my butt wasn't intended for sexual experiences and my vagina was, logic would dictate you only put it in my vagina."

".....where are you going?"