Star Trek: Discovery

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I just can't get over that super hero landing in the trailer. It looks retarded, very anti-star trek. You're just supposed to shake back and forth when the ship takes a hit.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I liked the first episode. I’ll be damned if I am paying for CBS All Access for it. I’ll just pirate the shows.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Haven't watched live TV in years and holy fuck the commercials were so disruptive. The introduction was good enough to keep watching, but I'm never watching it live again.

• 3Solidarity

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Was okay. Good sets and visuals, though a bit too much of a light show at times and not much character. Change uniforms and it could have been any generic sci fi. Meanwhile, for better or worse the Orville seems more identifiably Star Trek.

The women having multiple sidebars to argue was a distraction. Not much chemistry between the two for 7 years working together, which is maybe plausible for women. Probably go to drinks together and call each other besties and then talk shit to undermine each other privately to male coworkers.

My SigO isn't too into sci fi and hasn't ever seen anything Trek but for her first episode of TNG just yesterday. We talked about Data being an Android. She asked if the black chick Michael in Discovery was also a robot or just bad acting. Raised by Vulcans explains the stiff acting, but not the sudden emotional outbursts or completely unbelievable references to being logical.

Lots of bad scenes where in the middle of danger or mixed company they take the time to explain things the characters should probably either already know or not be concerned about at the moment.

Some bad pacing that seemed more interested in swapping between each ship instead of a coherent order of scenes.

Subtitles are dumb.

I liked the lanky gaylien character. And the cute short haired girl who isn't allowed to talk because she seemed emotionally stable.

Oh yeah opening was absurd.

Interested in seeing the impression of die hard lore junkies, because I'm not that deep but seems like some shit was off.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
The klingons sucked, the language got on my nerves.
The lighting sucked in some areas, on the ship it's dark ok the tng movies did it that way too, in the court marshal room it's fucking dark why? pay your electric bills star fleet.
Oh look lens flare.
The rain boots star fleet wear sucks.
The uniforms kinda suck.
The intro music sucks.
Female named Michael for no apparent reason, I guess Michael is more of a female name in the future, or her parents sucked at naming things.
Not much to see in the ship battle, which was disappointing with that many ships, but the phasers seemed to suck.
Other than that, it was ok and will keep watching cause I love star trek.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Show just goes to prove why you cant put two women at the top of the chain together. Never would have seen that shit from Picard and Rikker.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I don't know what some of you guys expect. This was easily one of the best intros of any ST series.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I borrowed a friend's CBS All Access and was watching the first episode via the PS4 app when the service crashed. Seems to have done so within a couple minutes of the first episode's delayed Live airing so I am guessing they got hammered with server requests.

For the part I saw Lt Saru was by far the best.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Ive often wondered if Starfleet ships aren't designed by the worst electrical engineers imaginable... Why does the outer hull of the ship taking damage result in your duty station console exploding in a cascade of sparks? What the hell are these displays made out of?

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ive often wondered if Starfleet ships aren't designed by the worst electrical engineers imaginable... Why does the outer hull of the ship taking damage result in your duty station console exploding in a cascade of sparks? What the hell are these displays made out of?

Hey just because you can travel faster than light doesn't mean you can solve the problem of installing a GFCI and surge arrester on every circuit.

• 3Worf

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Watched first 2 episodes, it did not go the direction I thought it was going to go. Very interested to see how things progress after the events of the 2nd episode (which was way better than the first episode)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Watched first 2 episodes, it did not go the direction I thought it was going to go. Very interested to see how things progress after the events of the 2nd episode (which was way better than the first episode)

Is it up on streaming sites yet other than CBS?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So white Klingons are dindus?

Did not hate it and actually enjoyed it. Still wish this was after TNG and not fucking prequel timeline.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
So white Klingons are dindus?

Did not hate it and actually enjoyed it. Still wish this was after TNG and not fucking prequel timeline.
DS9 and Voyager are both after TNG so this would need to be after DS9 at the earliest to follow up that timeline. Could do parallel to Voyager readily enough.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The ship's overall aesthetic with the holographic everything and transparent touchscreens is certainly more in line with the Kelvin timeline. About the only nod to this being 'olde tyme Trek' was the satellite dish transporter pads.