Star Trek: Discovery

spronk

FPS noob
the captain is a white cisgendered shit lord with blue eyes and a normal weight thats why the reviews are embargo'd, it triggered too many critics who had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency twinkies

Q1uzV5m.jpg

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just listened to the theme tune... the bookends are really stupid. Star trek music, pause, modern music, pause, star trek music. It may be a good idea to have the classic theme in it, but have it blend in with the other music... why have seperate sections in a totally different style?

Anyway this isn't for the fans, otherwise it would be set after The Next Generation since that's what we all grew up watching. Unless this is for the 70 year old Original Series fans, it's just a cash in from the new movie IP.

Siliconemelons

isn't he supposed to be a screw up or something?
with Sasha being the heroic lead

I am sure the white male captain will be a complete jerk, and always make rash wrong choice that our awesome black female fluid gendered fluidsexual lead will have to fix.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I am sure the white male captain will be a complete jerk, and always make rash wrong choice that our awesome black female fluid gendered fluidsexual lead will have to fix.
From what I gathered in the preview, it's darkies fault for causing a war with the other darkies (err klingons). It just doesn't feel right if the captain isn't the moral compass of the show, even if sometimes those morals are ablated or questionable (Sisko and the Romulans, Janeway and going back in time to save Voyager and destroying the Borg).

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Difficult / questionable moral choices are like the fucking foundation of Trek. Having the captain not have a major impact on that would be utter absurdity. It's always the person in charge that makes the final call, sometimes after consulting and sometimes just based on their own interpretation of Star Fleet codes or personal codes.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea pretty much every episode the captain is the paragon of virtue. Especially if he's got a pan flute or convinces three copies of everyone to sacrifice themselves to stop a temporal anomaly he just created or if he parleys with African slavers who want to rape his female crew rather than saving them or if he wants to get into a fistfight with a crazy scientist or if he wants to drive a dune buggy or if he falls in love with an old bat or if he falls in love with an officer old bat or if he falls in love with some other old bat or if he continually antagonizes a race of extradimenaional quasi-dieties or if he falls in love with this timeless old bat on some fountain of youth radiation planet or if he gets assimilated by the Borg or if he wants petty revenge by the Borg or if he only sees three lights or

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know if that was directed at my post but I never said the captains were paragons of virtue, I said the moral dilemmas were ultimately up their decision, for good or evil, and the point is that a lot of the time the choice isn't clear. If the captain is going to just be always wrong in this it's pretty impossible to have any moral ambiguity - just do the opposite of what captain jackass says or thinks, I guess.

Goatface

How Sonequa Martin-Green became the first black lead of Star Trek: 'My casting says that the sky is the limit for all of us'

“So having me as the first black lead of a Star Trek, just blasts that into a million pieces. I am eternally grateful that the diverse casting of our show means that we are now a part of the conversation and hopefully a part of making the world a better place, as cliché as this sounds. Because I really believe it and think its vital for us all right now,” she says the spectre of Trump lurking unspoken.

Not that she views her casting as a triumph for women alone. “I think it sends a message to any minority group that’s been disenfranchised. We all benefit when we can see a picture of ourselves in a position of leadership and I think that goes not just for women and people in minority groups - but for everyone to see that this is possible. I think that it will help people see the beauty of women in power and also the beauty of minorities in power, and to incite change.”

It should be noted that Martin-Green is the first black female captain, but not the first female captain, that honour falling to Kate Mulgrew who made franchise history in 1995 when she was anointed as Captain Janeway in Star Trek: Voyager.

-----

i can not wait to see the episode where they explain how Trump caused the Bell Riots.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
If I were Avery Brooks I'd rain down fire and brimstone on this show. These fucking people...

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How fucking lazy are these people? Is it too much to ask to maybe fucking research the history of a franchise before opening your yapper?

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How fucking lazy are these people? Is it too much to ask to maybe fucking research the history of a franchise before opening your yapper?

Even just late night reruns... You'd think you would accidentally see it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They stealthily changed the headline to insert the word 'female'

Not even an editors note. They can't even stealth edit correctly since the caption under one of the pics still says first black lead. Fucking lazy.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What is it with this fascination on 'first xyz' to do this pretty old thing!

Apparently no one can innovate besides white men, is that the intended message?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Says a lot that the lady cast in the role probably didn't even know about Sisko

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like