Star Trek: Discovery

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I went to college with a chick named Michael-Lynne

We called her ML because Michael-Lynne is a fuckin weird name.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So in Episode 2 we learn that the speed of light doesn't even apply to light itself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i just started watching the first episode. these production values and SFX are pretty amazing. this is on par with Interstellar

• 1Worf

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
and now she did the iron Man thing to an unknown object 2000 km away in outer space in only a space suit.

this show is retarded

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Did the math, and space is a funny thing. If her jetpack had any sort of decent acceleration she should be zooming (1g after a minute is half a km a second), the bigger problem is slowing down. She should have had turned the jetpack around 180 degrees and used it to slow down at the halfway point. Except it seems she slows down using the front jets in about two seconds. 6000km/hr to 0 in two seconds is pretty lethal, you'd be pulverized. And forget about dodging asteroids at those speeds.

Another funny thing is that it wouldn't be likely she could see it at that distance with any sort of resolution with the small telescope in her quarters. That's about 5x the distance as the international space station is from us right now. And the ISS is pretty blurry in a small telescope.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
launch Eite: Dangus

find a Nav Beacon in an asteroid ring. (e.g. a Resource extraction site or an asteroid starport)

Drop out 2000 km away from that nav beacon in the asteroid ring.

Try to get there in 8 minutes.

I know it's a silly comparison, but it gives you a rough idea how stupid that was.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Did the math, and space is a funny thing. If her jetpack had any sort of decent acceleration she should be zooming (1g after a minute is half a km a second), the bigger problem is slowing down. She should have had turned the jetpack around 180 degrees and used it to slow down at the halfway point. Except it seems she slows down using the front jets in about two seconds. 6000km/hr to 0 in two seconds is pretty lethal, you'd be pulverized. And forget about dodging asteroids at those speeds.

Another funny thing is that it wouldn't be likely she could see it at that distance with any sort of resolution with the small telescope in her quarters. That's about 5x the distance as the international space station is from us right now. And the ISS is pretty blurry in a small telescope.

its not even the science in this case that bothers me. its the sheer retardation of sending a first officer on a jet pack to check something out in an asteroid field. you should be able to zoom in on that from the bridge or at least take a space shuttle. yeah yeah, i get it, its to move the story forward

anyways, watched both episodes, i really liked this. the stakes feel high, the effects are amazing, the show looks great. if they can keep the storylines going without making me feel like theres always a safety net for everyone, then im all in on this show.

without a doubt this is the best series premiere of any trek show.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
its not even the science in this case that bothers me. its the sheer retardation of sending a first officer on a jet pack to check something out in an asteroid field. you should be able to zoom in on that from the bridge or at least take a space shuttle. yeah yeah, i get it, its to move the story forward

anyways, watched both episodes, i really liked this. the stakes feel high, the effects are amazing, the show looks great. if they can keep the storylines going without making me feel like theres always a safety net for everyone, then im all in on this show.

Apparently probes don't exist, either, which are literally the size of a person, and can endure the radiation, and speed.... Because: Plot, is so fuckin' lame.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
This is pre-history, maybe this is why they were able to free up money in the 'design a probe' sub-committee and get some probes built.

• 1Worf

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
tumblr_ov2pgy11vK1ve0mxgo1_1280.png

• 3Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider

without a doubt this is the best series premiere of any trek show.

Pretty much the dumbest character they've created.
She insist on going on a dangerous space walk through asteroids, and yeah use probes or shuttle.
Kills a Klingon by accident.
Disobeys orders to stand down and forget about her idea to shoot at the Klingons first.
Assaults the Captain with the Vulcan death grip.
Starts a personal mutiny to start a war to "save" their lives.
Talks the captain out of a plan to blow up herself and the klingon ship and make T'Kuvma a martyr, but goes along with the captain with the plan to capture him. As someone else mentioned, there's regulations that don't allow both the captain and first officer to go on dangerous missions together, obviously she's a shitty officer to not even remind the captain of that, how many times did Riker do that to Picard?.
Sets phaser to kill (the light turned from blue to red) when the captain gets stabbed and kills T'Kuvma anyways, basically wasting the life of her captain for nothing.
Gets her captain killed, an admiral killed, crew mates killed, ships destroyed, starts a war with the biggest military empire, over 8 thousand dead in the first 2 days, all so she can fucking joy ride a space suit.

It had better be the best series premiere of any trek show, they have access to movie level cgi, and they have had 5 previous shows to work from to get it right.
The Discovery still looks like a dated old ship compared to the ones they had in the war lineup, although half those ships probably shouldn't be there as they look more like tng not tos era ships.

• 1Solidarity

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I didn't hate this anywhere near as much as I thought I would. Yeah there is some stupid shit but it's already far better than anything JJ put out. The visuals are excellent so far and while I'm not fond of the premise or timeline I don't completely dislike the idea seeing a real war with the Klingons.

If they kept it that gritty the entire time it could work.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I got a fire stick not too long ago, how easy is it to set up?
very easy, however the stick is not as good as the box. I like having the direct connection, not wifi. there are straight up breakthroughs on how to set it up.
here is a random one i just pulled up. I wrote my own instruction file a while back. It's a bit outdated but if you get stuck or need help let me know. Most of these videos do not bring up chaching and that needs to be addressed. But i only have the math for the firebox.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Pretty much the dumbest character they've created.
She insist on going on a dangerous space walk through asteroids, and yeah use probes or shuttle.
Kills a Klingon by accident.
Disobeys orders to stand down and forget about her idea to shoot at the Klingons first.
Assaults the Captain with the Vulcan death grip.
Starts a personal mutiny to start a war to "save" their lives.
Talks the captain out of a plan to blow up herself and the klingon ship and make T'Kuvma a martyr, but goes along with the captain with the plan to capture him. As someone else mentioned, there's regulations that don't allow both the captain and first officer to go on dangerous missions together, obviously she's a shitty officer to not even remind the captain of that, how many times did Riker do that to Picard?.
Sets phaser to kill (the light turned from blue to red) when the captain gets stabbed and kills T'Kuvma anyways, basically wasting the life of her captain for nothing.
Gets her captain killed, an admiral killed, crew mates killed, ships destroyed, starts a war with the biggest military empire, over 8 thousand dead in the first 2 days, all so she can fucking joy ride a space suit.

It had better be the best series premiere of any trek show, they have access to movie level cgi, and they have had 5 previous shows to work from to get it right.
The Discovery still looks like a dated old ship compared to the ones they had in the war lineup, although half those ships probably shouldn't be there as they look more like tng not tos era ships.

yeah, i agree with all that. giving her a starship command after everything that happened in premiere and after she was sentenced to life in prison would be insane.

is she supposed to be the captain for this series? i hope theres another captain that they will introduce who will drive the series. this one should be left to rot in prison forever on the seer basis of knocking out her commanding officer, starting a mutiny and attempting to attack a klingon vessel first