Star Trek: Discovery

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I guess Ameican inventors are still filing patents at this point in the ST timeline

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
yeah, i agree with all that. giving her a starship command after everything that happened in premiere and after she was sentenced to life in prison would be insane.

is she supposed to be the captain for this series? i hope theres another captain that they will introduce who will drive the series. this one should be left to rot in prison forever on the seer basis of knocking out her commanding officer, starting a mutiny and attempting to attack a klingon vessel first

No, Isaac's character is the captain for Discovery, but we're suppose to be following her character basically.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
How much more of a Mary Suelgbtqqqlmnop can they make that chick?

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Couple thoughts on the new Klingons:

- Changing the appearance really does change their character. TNG Klingons are a lot like a space biker gang, lots of leather, lots of feasting and fighting and fun. These guys are stiff and regal looking, lots of gold and ornamentation. I can't really see somebody like Martok being one of these guys.

- When you parse...your subtitles...into tiny blocks...of text...a large amount...of the audience...gets lost.

- It's going to be hard to personalize these guys, they might look a little too alien. And with that much prosthetic makeup it's going to be bitch to emote making it even harder.

- Quibble but the episode hints that the Klingon empire is ancient, thousands of years old. In old Trek lore the Klingons first acquired warp travel in the 1940s, so seems like they're trying to retcon them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
So how bad is the new captain on the Janeway scale?

For example Janeway is 1 Janeway, Movie Picard is 0.5 Janeways. From the sounds of it she may be like... 3 Janeways by episode 2?

- Changing the appearance really does change their character. TNG Klingons are a lot like a space biker gang, lots of leather, lots of feasting and fighting and fun. These guys are stiff and regal looking, lots of gold and ornamentation. I can't really see somebody like Martok being one of these guys.

- When you parse...your subtitles...into tiny blocks...of text...a large amount...of the audience...gets lost.

- It's going to be hard to personalize these guys, they might look a little too alien. And with that much prosthetic makeup it's going to be bitch to emote making it even harder.

- Quibble but the episode hints that the Klingon empire is ancient, thousands of years old. In old Trek lore the Klingons first acquired warp travel in the 1940s, so seems like they're trying to retcon them.
Mentioning the 1940s immediatly reminds me of Quark "they irradiated their own planet!?".

What was wrong with the old Klingon makeup? They did make them look terrifying on Into Darkness though that was a different look again?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I think they regard the old makeup as being not alien enough. By this point we as fans are so steeped in Klingon history and lore from TNG/DS9/VOY that we don't really regard them as being 'the other' at this point. So they throw this big curveball in and show us a radically different sort of Klingon empire that has more in common with africa than it does siberia.

I suppose they could have created a new race, but given the timeline it wouldn't make sense to drop in a major power we had never heard of before *cough*Xindi*cough* so they appropriated the Klingons for their narrative purpose.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

The empire is a thousand years old when they threw off the Hurc who conquered them. They basically stole the technology from them and have been warp capable for a long time.

0F997240-4419-4C43-BEE2-63BB5C1B9E5B-209-0000005131143CD4.jpeg

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The only way I'm going to be able to enjoy this show, is if I logically disconnect it entirely from any previous Star Trek series. It's like Original Timeline, but in a Kelvin manner. It may look like Trek, but it isn't. Remove the lessons learned by Archer, and all of the considerations in TOS. Ultimately, I still think the main character is shit, and makes shit decisions, but that's probably the point of the character. Chaotic. Ill tempered, parents murdered, then being on Vulcan only served to fuck her up more. I still don't have any sympathy. She's supposed to be smart, but good god damn she's retarded.

I'm interested to see how the Discovery's captain is going to play out, considering he's taking a huge risk by taking her dumbass out of prison for some god forsaken reason. Means he could be just as hopelessly Downsy as she is.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Nah the whole season is an arc that deals with the Klingon War and we will be getting updates to the story from both sides. Two of the regular cast are Klingons and show as appearing in all or nearly all of the episodes.

Not sure how much information can be had based on number of episodes.
Michelle Yeoh ...
Captain Georgiou / ... (15 episodes, 2017-2018)

Except she's pretty much dead in Episode 2, unless the Klingons have some sort of resurrection chamber.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They will do what every shit Star Trek writing team does and go to the time travel well right out of the gate.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Am I the only one that really liked the captain of the Shenzhou, Philippa Georgiou? I could've seen the series work just fine with her and have the focal point be the first officer.

Very disappointed to see her die (ALTHOUGH they didn't recover the body so, hey, maybe the Klingons will patch her up...)

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

If there were any doubt about this being agenda over execution.......

• 6Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
How dare you suggest "Criminal Lives Matter" isn't the biggest issue facing the planet ?

r.jpg

• 6Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Siliconemelons

Haven't watched the episodes yet - does that chick have that same dumbass expression during the entire show?

• 1Worf

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Very disappointed to see her die (ALTHOUGH they didn't recover the body so, hey, maybe the Klingons will patch her up...)

Considering how much they're diverging from Trek standards, the Klingons aren't exactly known for their medical prestige (they have no medical bay, or doctors on board any ship), which means these new-Boneheads probably will, just to further piss me off.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Disregarding Star Trek lore, this TV show is bad on every level : lead acting is all about diversity over quality (muh klingons), plot doesn't make any sense (yeah let's teleport ship's main assets on the wild), character interactions are dumb (IM THE CAPTAIN NOW) and main antagonists look like space zulus.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

15min in ep1...

They never should have stuck this 10 years before Kirk... toss it a few hundred after the new films.

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean even if it was good, how the hell is it going to survive only on CBS streaming?