Star Trek: Discovery

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Feels like Mass Effect 3 with a thin Star Trek veneer.

I do like the credit scene though, and the special effects are pretty. But holy shit every episode just feels like they're ticking off a virtue signalling checklist.

And I know that among everything else this probably shouldn't bother me, but why is Ms. Mary Sue called Michael? (Michael Sue?) Have they offered any kind of explanation, or is it just "chicks with dude names, progressive n shit."?

As for "honorable Klingons," that's always been a bit of a joke imo. Even at TNG/DS9 peak-Worf the klingons basically operate like gangsters - they talk a big game about honor, but when it came down to it they did whatever the fuck they wanted and occasionally bothered to come up with a justification for it otherwise. You had the straight up slimy types like Gowron, but even the "honorable" Klingons like Martok didn't seem to hold to any particular code, they just stuck to being total assholes to their enemies, instead of everyone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Re the Michael name, my feeling is that it was her adopted name from the Vulcans, who might not have understood gender being important for naming.

If they were trying to push it as "normal" all the exposition about her being "the only female Michael in Starfleet" plays against that.

• 1Barf

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
If they were trying to push it as "normal" all the exposition about her being "the only female Michael in Starfleet" plays against that.
That was also, the only female Michael I know... Is the one that started the war.

It could also mean, it's an old time name... Like, do you know any ediths, or Gretchen's, that aren't slowly dying in a nursing home?

Siliconemelons

The "odd girl out" asking her about her name being a "boys name" is exactly why this trek is branded SJW - and not like the other treks.

In the other treks it would never have been mentioned in show - it would be assumed that "humanity has grown beyond such things" and it would be left for the audience to care or not care and discuss.

But no...gatta hit you in the face with it if you didn't already get it.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The "odd girl out" asking her about her name being a "boys name" is exactly why this trek is branded SJW - and not like the other treks.

In the other treks it would never have been mentioned in show - it would be assumed that "humanity has grown beyond such things" and it would be left for the audience to care or not care and discuss.

But no...gatta hit you in the face with it if you didn't already get it.
Lol, like how they explained how spore drive worked, verbatum eps3 then exactly the same eps4

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Eps6 sucked, too much Dindu bitch.

I'm starting to feel Vulcan, is just a crutch to hide bad acting, yup that means Leonard nimoy is a shitty actor.

• 1Like

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Are they still trying to pretend that Jason Isaacs isn't the only character on the show we give a fuck about?

Also, the gay engineer is now Wash?

Last edited:

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
isn't everyone pirating it? i mean whose dumb enough to pay 9.99 for this shit?

I would be if Gene were still with us. Then again even TNG was unwatchable the first couple of seasons. I didn't get into that show until the Borg came around.

I haven't seen any of the Discovery episodes but not in any hurry to even care. Star Trek isn't what it use to be and hasn't been for a long time. Didn't like DS9 and Enterprise was just bad. I did like Voyager though. The movie reboot is fun, but it's not the same trek.

• 1Barf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They need for CBS All Access to have a feedback function where we can upvote Jason Isaacs.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Liking Voyager is an objective test of how horrible your taste is.

I honestly liked Voyager. It had the "exploration of the unknown" we hadn't seen since TOS, and the Doctor and 7of9 are honestly two of the best characters in Trek history. It got a lot better after they dumped Tess, which was Voyager's version of Wesley. Sure, Janeway sucked, but the former two and a general favoritism towards "action" based episodes made it enjoyable.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I honestly liked Voyager. It had the "exploration of the unknown" we hadn't seen since TOS, and the Doctor and 7of9 are honestly two of the best characters in Trek history. It got a lot better after they dumped Tess, which was Voyager's version of Wesley. Sure, Janeway sucked, but the former two and a general favoritism towards "action" based episodes made it enjoyable.
Yes, you could say 7of9's character was quite prominent.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
You'd have to remove a good portion of the episodes in Voyager to be left with a bulk of half-decent episodes. Leave out anything involving Kess, the Kazon, the little girl Naomi, and any episode that focuses on Chakotay - his episodes were like the Klingon ones in TNG. Just don't find his shitty acting and spiritualism all that insightful or interesting. TNG Klingon episodes are the hardest to re-watch for me. Seven developed into a very interesting character who was initially fairly flat. Heh, and Janeway preceded Lorca in making rash, immoral decisions because the scenario dictated it.