Star Trek - Into Darkness

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Regarding DS9, if you are going to watch it, skip the first two seasons entirely. Basically, the point at which they introduce Elam Garrek is when the show gets good. TNG really had nothing but shit prior to season three, also, honestly. Voyager had some pretty shitty characters in it and the writing was so inconsistent that the likable characters wavered back and forth between interesting and want to see them die extremes. They also overused 7 of 9, with the show essentially becoming Star Trek: Look at the size of Jeri Ryan's Rack from the moment she was introduced, onward. That said, the interactions between her and the doctor were among the better parts of the later seasons of that show and there were a few really good episodes tucked into the ocean of shit.
Having recently watched all of DS9 I wouldn't skip anything. The first season is a little rough but the actual main story arc stuff starts pretty early into the second season.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, they really start hinting at stuff almost right out of the gate in season 2. Season one like Mist said can be rough but there is some good character development.

One thing I liked about DS9 is how important even minor characters turned out to be. The writting in that show was just a step above all other trek imo.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Having recently watched all of DS9 I wouldn't skip anything. The first season is a little rough but the actual main story arc stuff starts pretty early into the second season.
There's a definite point where DS9 stepped up a gear and it ties in exactly with Sisko shaving his head and growing a goatee.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
I think future Spock should have made a complaint to Federation OSHA that there are no radiation suits next to the super important, absolutely critical to the ship, radiation-filled room that requires people to enter to manually fix things in emergencies.

I bet they're allowed to smoke in the engine room too.
I assumed the two guys in those weird white suits flanking Bones when he stood over Kirk's corpse were in special rad-suits. I just put it down to another hole in the writing.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Enterprise had some descent ideas, but it suffered from being on UPN and the writers thinking that shoving boobs in our faces would make nerds give certain things a pass. At its worst, it overused time travel and marginalized the borg. At its best, it tied into the mirror universe stuff and had a good bromance thing going on with Archer and Tucker. The best episodes came too late to save it. Some of the characters were good (the alien doctor and Tucker) and some were terrible. Fucking Hoshi was the most annoying female sci-fi character to ever exist (until the space slut from Star Gate Uterus happened). It is amusing that Peter Weller was a part of the major story arc at the end of the last season and that its final episode was basically a TNG episode.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There was a lot of Borg fatigue after Voyager ended and tossing them into Enterprise just added to it. Plus, considering how primitive the tech was in Enterprise relative to the Borg, any sort of interaction was really stupid at that point in the series history. And of course, why in the fuck would the Borg be that close to Federation space literally a century before the first outpost assimilations in season one TNG?

Fyro

Golden Squire
I thought it was decent. I saw it with my family. Basically as soon as we made it back to the car from the theatre we started ripping into it's different plot holes.

At one point my mother referenced this Star Trek being similar to the new hobbit film. Way too much repetitive action and not enough dialogue. Furthermore a few cringe worthy scenes. I wasn't engrossed at all, I was sitting there thinking, "when is this going to end?"

This movie felt a lot like Transformers to me (a piece of piss). If it would have been under the name Transformers and not Star Trek, we would all have quite different views of this movie. Let's be honest with ourselves.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Transformer would be low F tier of Hollywood money-maker and Star Trek would be a tier B of Hollywood money-maker.

By money-maker, I mean money.

spronk

FPS noob
I wonder how the box office results will impact things. The 2009 reboot did "ok", the sequel is doing worse though. Weirdly enough, adjusted for inflation Star Trek 4 is the most successful trek movie. The 2009 reboot made $257m domestically and $128m internationally (studio usually gets a smaller cut internationally), and cost $150m (not including marketing) - out of that $400m total, probably $200-250m or so went to Paramount, plus DVD sales. The 2013 sequel has made $156m domestically and $100m internationally, but cost $190m to make. Its at the 3 week mark next week which means almost all the box office receipts are going to go to theaters, not Paramount.

I assume DVD sales have been pretty decent for the reboot, which is why a sequel was made. It doesn't seem though like going into more action territory helped with box office. Regardless of how mediocre it was, I still hope they make more, and more importantly, make a new TV show (please dont reboot TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise) with a new story and setting.

First Contact (an otherwise superb Trek film) ruined the Borg...like they said "just kidding" to the whole vast and faceless collective and turned them into a bee hive with a queen and everything. Like Locutus was necessary because they literally had no individuals to speak to/for anyone. Then they had Janeway kicking their asses across the Delta Quadrant...definitely not the fearsome existential threat to the Federation anymore.

I never saw a single episode of Enterprise, so no comment on there.

Do we need to use spoiler tags here, actually? I know Kreugen hasn't seen all of the shows...but I dunno if that era of Trek is too old for anyone to care about spoilers at this point.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
First Contact (an otherwise superb Trek film) ruined the Borg...like they said "just kidding" to the whole vast and faceless collective and turned them into a bee hive with a queen and everything. Like Locutus was necessary because they literally had no individuals to speak to/for anyone. Then they had Janeway kicking their asses across the Delta Quadrant...definitely not the fearsome existential threat to the Federation anymore.

I never saw a single episode of Enterprise, so no comment on there.

Do we need to use spoiler tags here, actually? I know Kreugen hasn't seen all of the shows...but I dunno if that era of Trek is too old for anyone to care about spoilers at this point.
Getting somewhat off topic I guess, but Borg were already becoming individualistic in TNG, because of Hugh. It was covered in one of the 2-parters, with Lore being involved as their leader at that time. Supposedly the Queen was a farther-along representation of the individuality that Hugh introduced into the collective. I have no idea what they did with the Borg in Voyager/STO though.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
why in the fuck would the Borg be that close to Federation space literally a century before the first outpost assimilations in season one TNG?
The entire premise of Star Trek Enterprise was that it was an alternate reality that branched off from the prime universe due to the events that happened in Star Trek First Contact. The Borg in First Contact traveled back in time, where their sphere was blown up. Most of them transported to the Enterprise prior to the sphere going BOOM, but some apparently didn't make it. A few Borg that didn't transport to the Enterprise somehow survived atmospheric entry and a few made it to the arctic alive.

That's how they got to Earth in 2151. They were survivors of the Borg sphere the Enterprise blew up in First Contact.

The major problem with Enterprise was that the producers wanted to reboot the franchise, they just had no idea how to do it and keep the fans interested. They invented all sorts of new aliens we'd never seen before, even though Enterprise is a prequel and takes place in sectors that were well known by the time TNG, DS9 and VOY were out. So how come we've never met a Suliban or a Xindi before? Oh right, we're not supposed to ask those questions.

Rick Berman had a major hardon for time travel stories, which is why we ended up with the temporal cold war (fucking stupid), and the Xindi attack on Earth (Hello 9/11 analogy). By about halfway through season 3, Enterprise was nearing the chopping block. Berman and Co. decided to focus on yet another reboot (which never happened) and executive producer duties fell to Manny Coto. This is the guy that actually made Enterprise good. Coto figured out that what we really wanted to see was familiar aliens on familiar worlds taking part in events that took place before TOS. Stuff we might have heard about, but only mentioned in passing in previous series. Coto took over and ratings went up, but it was too little too late. It got cancelled, but not before Berman and Braga could give the fans a final "Fuck You!" in the form of the final episode, "These are the Voyages".

Enterprise failed for many, many reasons, but it wasn't because the fans had gotten tired of Star Trek. It was because the producers of the franchise were tired of Star Trek.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, not sure who the fuck signed off on that opening song.

Honestly, the best episodes of Enterprise were the ones where Archer was overcoming his post Xindi war stress and the evil universe two part episode that tied in the tholian web.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
That was an amazingly terrible movie
frown.png
It felt like a generic action/space movie that had very loose ties to star trek and none of the things that made me like TNG, DS9, etc. Gf and I both walked out with the feeling that the best part was the Leonard Nimoy cameo and no real desire to see the next one. I get that movies will be more action based and less cerebral than the episodes and stuff changes with new generations, but that felt like a big fuck you to everything I liked about star trek rather than just a re-imagined version.

Meh.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I liked that song. The original version of it is pretty terrible though. I think it's Rod Stewart.