Star Trek Online

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The new expansion is Live and the servers are hammered pretty badly. They changed the overall look of the game and it is looking much more slick + the new Romulan content aint half bad.

Now when you go to character select you get your captain in a dramatic pose with his bridge officers and the ship in the background. Kinda snazzy.

rrr_img_25755.jpg

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah, the screenshot doesnt show all the UI elements. On the actual character select it shows your character name and "the continuing voyages of the U.S.S. Revolution". I always liked the Galaxy Dreadnought variant from All Good Things so went with it as my Vice Admiral ship on my Engineer.

The only thing it doesnt show on my ship are some of the visible Borg augmentations from equipped consoles etc, but it does show the paint style etc so they may change that down the road.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
While the expansion did go live today, Cryptic is having a seriously bad time getting people into the game and playing it due to a login/character creation CTD that's affecting a large portion of their users.

As for the expansion content, it's probably the best content Cryptic has released in any of their games, ever. The Romulan story episodes are really good (albeit, directly lifted from Mass Effect 2).
They even finished off the Klingons, so if you want to make a Klink you can roll one at level 1 and play through a bunch of new content designed for them. Existing KDF players can go back and replay all the new mission content, so they're not missing anything (items rewards scale for your level). The only weak spot in the entire expansion is that existing Fed players get a new reputation to grind and a revamped trait system and that's about it.

But if you wanted to check out STO, now is the time... or, whenever they fix their server issues... Heh.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This is pretty nice. What a different a little UI work makes.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Restarted it about a week ago. The Romulan stuff is nice. The Warbirds in PvE with battle cloaks and singularity powers are very powerful.

Lots of new bugs need to be fixed, cannot delete any mail you get from from launch of the expansion through present day, even notices of auction sales etc. Also cannot turn in some missions. Those two are the only ones I have noticed that bug me.

Overall its a good addition plus it should hold my attention another 2-3 months plus should have more content added by then so who knows.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone still play this? Saw a friend playing so I'm trying it out. Pretty fun so far.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I installed this last night to take a look at it. I had never noticed it was on Steam, so it installed via Arc off the website. When I ran it, I kept getting stuck at the loading screen.

While it was still installed, I noticed that it was on Steam and Steam said I already owned it. Tried to launch and Steam crashed. Uninstalled Arc and STO and Steam still says it is installed. Maybe this is a registry thing- no idea. Video drivers are up-to-date.

Has anyone run into this? Google fu showed other people with similar issues but no solutions.

Arakkis

N00b
Run as administrator or change compatibility settings? I had to do this to get Mass Effect to run for me through Steam. In that case I had to find the .exe file to launch the game, right click, select properties, then check "run as administrator" and "run this program in compatibility mode for". Windows XP SP3 worked for me, even though I run Windows 7.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Run as administrator or change compatibility settings? I had to do this to get Mass Effect to run for me through Steam. In that case I had to find the .exe file to launch the game, right click, select properties, then check "run as administrator" and "run this program in compatibility mode for". Windows XP SP3 worked for me, even though I run Windows 7.
I'll try that. I ran Arc as administrator but I wasn't sure if that would propagate to anything it launched. I'll try a change to compatibility mode too. Thanks.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Turned out that running in safe mode was what fixed this for me. I just played through the first tutorial last night. The FPS side of things is sort of cheesy and I'm honestly not sure what I think of the space combat after the first few encounters. I'll give it some time though to see what it's like.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've been enjoying this recently. It is pretty close to perfect for a casual type player - fast "endgame" encounters, fairly easy to get to a decent level of badassery (and very high levels of badassery are possible for the hard core), the whole duty officer system so you have that feeling of accomplishing something even when you are offline, and if you enjoy Star Trek it is a nice little diversion. The whole levelling experience was recently redone with totally revamped questlines; much more streamlined now than it once was.

Space combat is very much one of those things where it is easy enough to succeed without knowing what you are doing or having top-flight gear, but there is a very large different between a very well kitted out ship and skilled pilot versus the average joe. Do you *need* badass gear and skill? Not really for anything; but when you see it in action, you know it.

Definitely not something to rage hardcore on, as the various time gates on shit like reputation will frustrate the hell out of you, but if you are in a situation where you have an MMO itch that needs to be scratched and you want a feeling of accomplishing something while only being able to play in small chunks, and like Trek, this will likely satisfy you.

sukik

The space combat on normal was pretty easy so I've started playing on Advanced. Fights can either be easy or go horribly wrong if I'm not doing things right. I imagine they'll be easy and I'll move to elite once I figure out a good build and abilities. Only in my mid 20's now

Helldiver

In space any proper DPS build will have you face rolling the content, including the STFs. At least for me it's been raptor-cannons KDF and Avenger-cannons Fed. Didn't level my Romulan. Got all the rewards for the Borg line I could get from the rep shop all grinding the elite borg STFs. Come to find out for my build it's better to do the romulan stfs/rep grind whatever it's called but I quit before I got past the first tier.

Ground seems to be crazy when you up the difficulty. Can do elite space no problem (although I have to be on the ball when fighting borg do to their bs systems shut down abilities). Elite ground I normally get one shotted no mater what I do. Has been that way forever. Wish they'd rebalance the ground difficulties in terms of soloing. Even when teaming up with my buddy we always had to switch to normal when getting a ground mission. Then again, Ihateground combat so much. I don't have any of the stf reward gear and I think they best I have on everyone is XI or XII purples, but it's all trash pretty much. I also have garbage ground skills.

Sadly, they seem to do quite a bit of content for ground. To be honest that has never been this game's strength, but whatever.

Absolutely loving my Avenger:
0yVA5ni.jpg

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I probably did not put enough time into it. I played two nights, never really found it compelling, and uninstalled it.

Helldiver

I probably did not put enough time into it. I played two nights, never really found it compelling, and uninstalled it.
I don't blame you. The starter ship blows big time. Once you're tier 2 you get that extra gun that really makes things go by much quicker. This is one of those games that has you get a lot stronger vs. the content as you progress in tiers, as opposed to most mmos that more or less keep the content on the level with you. Once you're 20+ and into the 30's you start blowing through most of the content since you open up a lot more options and have access to more Boff abilities. End game ships can be grindy to get however but they're not something you'll be switching out of too frequently, hence I usually just outright purchase them from their cash shop.

sukik

Got my Defiant last night, but didn't have time to try it. I browsed through some of the builds and decided to go with 3 dual beam phasers + 1 quantum torp up front and phaser turrets in the back with the supporting phaser tac consoles and beam/torp abilites on my officers. Can't wait to try it out over the weekend.

The ground game is odd, but at least I get to beat on dumb ass Klingons with their own knives.

rrr_img_68061.jpg

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I played this back during the beta stresstests. I come back to it off and on when Diablo/whatever the fotm game bores me. I love STO for that.
@Fairchilde if anyone ever needs help with STFs or wants to PvP.