Star Trek: Picard

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I'm just a dumb Canuck, but aren't the elections in November 2024? Show is in 2024?
Thats a coincidence

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If they are going to do Dark Mirror stuff I want

mirror-universe-swole-janeway-jpg.404983

Last edited:

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I'm sitting here thinking... Discovery isn't that bad of a show now... compared to this.... monstrosity...
Goodbye TNG era, you were loved.

P.S Raffi sucks fucking ass. One minute worried about keeping a low profile don't carry phasers, next minute shoots out a police car window cause "fun", next minute worried again about low profile with Seven driving, stupid ass writing.

facepalm-head.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm just a dumb Canuck, but aren't the elections in November 2024? Show is in 2024?
yea and theyre basically doing weekend at bernies cuz they landed 4,12,24 on a friday and april 15th is a monday
and also american tax day

lea thompson directed eps 3 and 4
howardlea.gif

yes her... i guess cuz she was in back to the future?

but man, this just gets worse and worse w/ more raffi screen time

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
yea and theyre basically doing weekend at bernies cuz they landed 4,12,24 on a friday and april 15th is a monday
and also american tax day

lea thompson directed eps 3 and 4
howardlea.gif

yes her... i guess cuz she was in back to the future?

but man, this just gets worse and worse w/ more raffi screen time
That is a skinny ass, I'd have bruises.
forums pants GIF

• 1Worf

Cybsled

Raffi feels like the least Trek like Trek character - she is constantly irrational unless the plot calls for her to be rational suddenly, flies off the handle randomly, is generally unlikable, etc. And you're supposed to be a Federation Captain/Officer? She feels the most out of place of the bunch.

Most of the other characters have at least done more to endear themselves to the audience, either last season or this season. Agnes and Rios, for example.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Most of the other characters have at least done more to endear themselves to the audience, either last season or this season. Agnes and Rios, for example.
we all think agnes is the new borg queen?

• 1Like

Cybsled

It seems that way. Ignoring those dumb fucking "Borg Queen is Picard's mom!!!1!!" theories, Agnes makes the most sense. The Borg Queen seems to see something useful about her/similar to herself in Agnes, and you can tell Agnes is tempted but still cautious enough to avoid just getting straight up assimilated. We do know the Confederation was using something to suppress the Queen's nanoprobes, but who knows how long that lasts.

My guess is that something eventually happens where the Borg Queen either gets loose or becomes an imminent threat and Agnes feels forced to step in and stop it. But in stopping it, also making sure she secures the ability to get them back home. Which would probably mean becoming the new Borg Queen in place of the current one, or some type of hybrid or whatever.

My theory for how all this ties in with the 1st episode. Q sort of gave a clue in Episode 2, when he says he is "but a suture on the wound". One thing that stood out to me about the Borg ship in episode 1 is it wasn't a normal Borg ship. Did you notice how it extended these large claw like structures on either side of the spacial anomaly? Almost like a suture. And the Borg Queen that comes over mentions she wants peace, but needs power. It's clear there is something different about these Borg, especially since she isn't hurting the people on the bridge and calls him Picard instead of Locutus.

My thought is the Borg ship was trying to repair the spacial anomaly and the linking of all the ships wasn't to assimilate them and turn them into Borg, but to make sure they funnel all their power into the Borg ship so it could close the spacial anomaly (suturing the wound). And this anomaly is somehow linked with Q and him being ill or his powers getting jacked.

Of course this creates a semi closed time loop/some temporal mechanic bullshit that would make O'Brian get pissed - If the Borg Queen is Agnes, then that means Picard was meant to fail and was meant to be sent to the alternate timeline, which resulted in Agnes becoming the new Borg Queen and knowing Picard would blow shit up and create this situation, then get a 2nd chance somehow and change how things played out even though the initial failure was needed in order to make things succeed later.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Of course this creates a semi closed time loop/some temporal mechanic bullshit that would make O'Brian get pissed - If the Borg Queen is Agnes, then that means Picard was meant to fail and was meant to be sent to the alternate timeline, which resulted in Agnes becoming the new Borg Queen and knowing Picard would blow shit up and create this situation, then get a 2nd chance somehow and change how things played out even though the initial failure was needed in order to make things succeed later.

I fully expect them to set it up so that Agnes/Borg Queen was helping the crew out in the first episode but those aggressive males were too unthinking to realise the clues.

Remember, the Borg Queen in the first episode only stunned people and from memory she stated she needed power before she could help or whatever. Just because she was syncing with all the ships doesn't necessarily mean she was trying to assimilate/kill them.

If it's anything like the first season expect this Q test to be resolved with love and an appreciation of how awesome females are.

Cybsled

Nah, they are going for a racial analogy, although it’s being handled clumsily.

Episode 1 has Seven feeling uncomfortable with the way she is treated because it’s clear she was Borg once. Borg appear and everyone (rightfully) freaks out and Picard opts to destroy the ship rather than risk it. He realizes too late that this isn’t a normal Borg encounter (let’s ignore the fact the Borg Queen makes absolutely no effort to explain why she is doing shit - she says there is no time, but seems like she could have led with the “this statement will make you trust me more”)

Now we are back in 2024 and it’s clear the primary theme is racial and have/have not economics at the core of problems. Certain characters are now treated worse based on how they look (Rios) and some are treated better (Seven).

They’ll probably take the lessons they learned from their journey to be less racist to Borg. It’s a clumsy analogy because…Borg. You’re not dealing with individuals typically, except the XBs who get shit on because they used to be Borg.

The XBs shouldn’t be discriminated against is a good stance, but actual hive mind Borg are a mortal danger so I am dubious on how they will eventually justify “give peace a chance” without some serious trust collateral. I mean hell, the Borg Queen even laughs at trust being a massive weakness

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Whoever is watching this garbage is going to find out that the Borg are misunderstood and have been mistreated by evil white men and Picard will apologize.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
So it’s 3 seasons and it’s done they said . Season 1 all about non organic life forms , season 2 present day Los Angeles, what a waste. Season 3 , Picard making wine and falling in love ? Hahah . Patrick Stewart is so done, would have been better they didn’t do this at all. Now Picard slips way back in fav captain ranks for me. Go sisko! Haha

Cybsled

My guess is season 3 will bring back the reaper AI shit. Nu-Borg and the synths will save the galaxy, tying the first 2 seasons together

• 1Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Say what you want about the TNG / DS9 / voyager area , but one thing I loved about that era of trek was how cohesive the galaxy was , how everything was tied together for the most part, tech was the same , it made it all feel more real and immersive.

The jumping around in time shit , mirror universes and alternate timelines that they love to use these days just rips that to pieces along with the serial series, it just feels like short, semi sci fi stories in random settings rather than trek as we knew it.

the films with the original cast built up the “universe” and star fleet, federation as well and the TNG era built on that , now it just seems completely all over the place, nearly impossible to connect to.

I couldnt watch discovery, thought was terrible , Picard gave me hope but again disappointing.

They really ruined Star Trek. One wonders if they know this ..

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They really ruined Star Trek. One wonders if they know this ..
Doesnt matter to them. Obviously theyre successful enough to justify making 3 or 4 star treks all at the same time.

Weve entered an era where you can put out absolute shit and the pigs will happily eat it up.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't think they are pulling millions of views, but even 500k is considered solid cable ratings.

Showtime has kept a bunch of shit over the decades going that barely scrape 300k views. Using old cable standards and applying it to streaming, it probably isn't very difficult to convince an old network like CBS that its successful and is helping grow streaming when comparing it to CBS network ratings.