Star Trek: Picard

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind this season, so far, but I predict it's going to fall into the same pit the last season did: they can't stretch the story arch in a meaningful way over so many episodes.
Star Trek fits best in an episodic format, MAYBE you can pull off a two-parter or short multi-episode arch; but trying to stretch this shit over an entire season is just too much.

I hate to break it to the Jewbagels writing this, but you are not producing the most meaningful work in science fiction ever created. You're making a show that should be much simpler and more fun - stop overestimating your abilities and let your characters have fun and give the audience just a bit of fan service at the same time. For example, if your script was actually palatable, we'd have Gates McFadden back and THAT would be Stewart's love interest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't mind this season, so far, but I predict it's going to fall into the same pit the last season did: they can't stretch the story arch in a meaningful way over so many episodes.
Star Trek fits best in an episodic format, MAYBE you can pull off a two-parter or short multi-episode arch; but trying to stretch this shit over an entire season is just too much.

I hate to break it to the Jewbagels writing this, but you are not producing the most meaningful work in science fiction ever created. You're making a show that should be much simpler and more fun - stop overestimating your abilities and let your characters have fun and give the audience just a bit of fan service at the same time. For example, if your script was actually palatable, we'd have Gates McFadden back and THAT would be Stewart's love interest.

1647158842410.png

There was a push for it. It's not like she's not around, out of shape, or unavailable.

She was at the Picard red carpet premiere. The writers really dropped the ball on that.

1647159525849.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Beverly Crusher? In Picard? Let me tell you all how that will go.

The big reveal is that Picard was having an affair with Beverly back on the Stargazer. He harbors guilt over the the knowledge that some part of him chose Jack Crusher for the away mission that would be his death so Picard could be with Bev. Wesley is Picard's biological son.

There. That old fan theory that was way too dark for TNG and ruins a character or two is now a perfect fit.

• 1Wow!
  • 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
View attachment 403017

There was a push for it. It's not like she's not around, out of shape, or unavailable.

She was at the Picard red carpet premiere. The writers really dropped the ball on that.

View attachment 403018

She’s actually hotter now she’s older.

• 2Solidarity

Cybsled

After watching these first 2 episodes, I think the masked Borg Queen we meet in episode 1 will end up being Agnes.

In both episodes, they highlight how out of place/socially isolated Agnes is and how she doesnt feel like she belongs. The Borg Queen in the alternate timeline even mentions this. The fact the Borg Queen even knows this is the biggest hint: How the hell could she know that? They confirmed that the Borg have a temporal sense where they can know or draw on information from their parallel lives in other timelines, and as a Borg, you would know what the collective knows. That suggests that in some time line, Agnes becomes part of the Borg.

As to why that would make any difference in how the Borg act, consider the fact the Borg are totally fucked up by the end of Voyager - their transwarp network is destroyed and the core of the Hive destroyed as well. The Borg adapt. I'm thinking the whole Synthetic plot line will actually be relevant here - what if the Borg are basically given the ability to create positronic brains and artificial bodies? They would no longer have to forcibly assimilate other species to replenish their numbers and could "reproduce" that way.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I HATE Agnes. What a terribly unlikeable character. Even more so than the rest of the cast.

Second episode was only bearable. Starting to go down the shitter fast. Hilarious that it only took racism to defeat the Borg.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
I HATE Agnes. What a terribly unlikeable character. Even more so than the rest of the cast.

Second episode was only bearable. Starting to go down the shitter fast.
I watched episode 2 in Saturday and can barely remember anything meaningful happening two days later.

Mirror universe shenanigans? Okay, we've seen this before, many times now; and it seems like Star Trek writers are using it more frequently since they can just shrug off every circumstance and event as happening in an alternate timeline and reality.

It lowers the stakes of virtually everything that's happening. Even the time travel the crew is now going through is meaningless, everything is still happening in a pocket universe because the show runners were unwilling to demonstrate concise story telling in episode one.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
After watching these first 2 episodes, I think the masked Borg Queen we meet in episode 1 will end up being Agnes.

In both episodes, they highlight how out of place/socially isolated Agnes is and how she doesnt feel like she belongs. The Borg Queen in the alternate timeline even mentions this. The fact the Borg Queen even knows this is the biggest hint: How the hell could she know that? They confirmed that the Borg have a temporal sense where they can know or draw on information from their parallel lives in other timelines, and as a Borg, you would know what the collective knows. That suggests that in some time line, Agnes becomes part of the Borg.

As to why that would make any difference in how the Borg act, consider the fact the Borg are totally fucked up by the end of Voyager - their transwarp network is destroyed and the core of the Hive destroyed as well. The Borg adapt. I'm thinking the whole Synthetic plot line will actually be relevant here - what if the Borg are basically given the ability to create positronic brains and artificial bodies? They would no longer have to forcibly assimilate other species to replenish their numbers and could "reproduce" that way.
While this might be simplistic, if I were writing the show, I'd make the Borg exactly what they seem to be and subvert the expectation of there being some big twist that pulls another character into being the secret leader of their collective.

Their a seemingly weakened arch nemesis to Picard and the Federation. They're using deception (like 7 said) to try to convince our heroes they're making a genuine plea for peace. I don't know what would have prevented them from quickly rebuilding their network and forces. What Janeway did to them was devastating, but could easily be written as a minor reset in their ultimate plans to convert the entire galaxy into their collective.

Assimilating Soji could have interesting implications, especially since she basically almost summoned a universe destroying demonforce last season - what could THAT do if controlled by the Borg?

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
can't believe its a whole season of time travel.... LOL always hated all time travel in star trek heh. Tried episode 3, it’s getting more awful . Man last season was a decent start. They really lost their marbles this time around. Just wanted some sci-fi instead we get Los Angeles present day … what a waste

Last edited:

Cybsled

The Borg Queen being impressed makes me think the Agnes as a new Borg Queen theory is going to hold. They’ve previously shown themselves to be very interested in individuals who can be more than a drone in their eyes (Data, 7 of 9 later on in Voyager) and the Queen seemed to calm down a bit after she realized she got played, which means her interests have shifted away from just taking the ship for herself

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>

Second episode was only bearable. Starting to go down the shitter fast. Hilarious that it only took racism to defeat the Borg.
I Dont Arrested Development GIF

• 1Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
For those that missed it, when Picard & crew landed in L.A. they discovered many aliens:

m0.jpg

m66.jpg
m.gif

• 2Worf

Cybsled

Oh no! Immigration raids! Trump must've been reelected! Fucking stupid.

While that was no doubt the basis for that scene, I’m wondering if they will try to at least keep continuity with DS9. The Bell Riots happened in 2024 and that homeless camp had a sign saying sanctuary district, although it clearly wasn’t on the same level as the sanctuary district from DS9

ShakyJake

<Donor>
While that was no doubt the basis for that scene, I’m wondering if they will try to at least keep continuity with DS9. The Bell Riots happened in 2024 and that homeless camp had a sign saying sanctuary district, although it clearly wasn’t on the same level as the sanctuary district from DS9
I think you're giving them WAY too much credit.

Cybsled

There are 2 explanations

1) the prop people understood the history and put in the sign as an Easter egg

2) the writers understood the history and the sign was intentionally there

Given the track record of new Trek, I admit #1 might be more likely, but we can still hope lol

Chris

Potato del Grande
View attachment 403017

View attachment 403018

I'm going to guess that they had fake talks with her to generate publicity and hype, probably with the journalist who wrote the article in on the fraud in some way, then went with their original plan with their new character like they always intended.

• 1Like