Star Trek: Picard

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All the Raffi stuff is still trash, s3 is average at best.

Agree on the Raffi line. Sadly this is going to be the price we pay to have Worf.

I think it is pretty mediocre right now, nothing really exciting me about seeing these characters from my youth all old and slow and stumbling through their lines. Even Shatner stopped at 63 which is probably why we have such fond memories of that era. Stewart is 82, Spiner is 74, McFadden is 73, Frakes and Dorn are 70, Sirtis is 67 and Burton is 66.

I'm not certain what the critics saw to give this such good reviews but I suppose held up against the previous seasons they can get by on nostalgia alone.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Agree on the Raffi line. Sadly this is going to be the price we pay to have Worf.

I think it is pretty mediocre right now, nothing really exciting me about seeing these characters from my youth all old and slow and stumbling through their lines. Even Shatner stopped at 63 which is probably why we have such fond memories of that era. Stewart is 82, Spiner is 74, McFadden is 73, Frakes and Dorn are 70, Sirtis is 67 and Burton is 66.

I'm not certain what the critics saw to give this such good reviews but I suppose held up against the previous seasons they can get by on nostalgia alone.

Unless something changed this year from last summer I'm unaware of, Shatner's voice and delivery has been completely unaffected to date. The guy has a lot of wind in him, and he's pretty damn physical even if he was a 65 year old nevermind 91. At his convention appearance last year the guy didn't even take a seat once, whereas Stewart was practically wheeled out. Shatner held a stage without a moderator present, whereas Stewart had to let an intermediary give him time and answer his questions for him for the little time he made himself available.

Im far less than half Shatner's age and I'm going to be taking a fucking seat.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did not like the last part where Riker throws him off the bridge. The strategy was sound. The only other strategy would have been to give up the kid, but nothing says they do not destroy you anyways. They kept mentioning "Biological" within the nebula. Something tells me that will be a big factor in how they resolve this.

Loved the best line of the series.."beheadings are on Wednesday's.

Season is so much better than 1 and 2. I am actually interested in this season.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Interesting…soft spoilers in Critical Drinkers review ended up being misdirection

he mentioned Conspiracy, which was the season 1 TNG episode that had the mind control parasites, so I was expecting that. It didn’t even dawn on me it would end up being a rogue faction of Changlings that were behind it. Worf even mentioned Odo if not by name. If it ends up the female changling from DS9 was behind it all, I would flip my shit

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Did not like the last part where Riker throws him off the bridge. The strategy was sound. The only other strategy would have been to give up the kid, but nothing says they do not destroy you anyways. They kept mentioning "Biological" within the nebula. Something tells me that will be a big factor in how they resolve this.

Loved the best line of the series.."beheadings are on Wednesday's.

Season is so much better than 1 and 2. I am actually interested in this season.
biological could only mean species 8472

• 1Like

Cybsled

Someone on Reddit pointed out this scene from a couple episodes ago. The subtle double take. Hmmm.....

• 4Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I haven't watched any of this yet, just kind of keeping up with it from the sidelines, with the same morbid curiosity of watching a car crash.

Is this show good now wtf??

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I haven't watched any of this yet, just kind of keeping up with it from the sidelines, with the same morbid curiosity of watching a car crash.

Is this show good now wtf??

It's the best Trek we've seen in the last 2 decades.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Someone on Reddit pointed out this scene from a couple episodes ago. The subtle double take. Hmmm.....

I remember that scene and I kind of wondered why he had done that. Riker/not Riker is part of the plot? That might explain his personality on the bridge...

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Just loving the aggressive nature of it all.
Sure beats Black Alerts where they always just gay spore away if needed.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I remember that scene and I kind of wondered why he had done that. Riker/not Riker is part of the plot? That might explain his personality on the bridge...

I think so. Think about some of the odd things

1). Episode 1 mentions something wrong between him and Troi/his daughter and needing to stay away from them
2) Was very interested in the ashes left behind from the aliens Crusher vaporized
3) Some of his behaviors, like going hard on embarrassing LaForge’s daughter, the stuff on the bridge

Plus, don’t forget the Cardassians had Thomas Riker as a prisoner prior to and maybe even during the Dominion War. No doubt there would have been attempts to study him in the hopes of leveraging that against William Riker

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm in the same boat as the other poster. Haven't watched yet, absolutely loved all the star trek IP from pre 2000.

Is this so woke it will kill my fondness of the universe?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm in the same boat as the other poster. Haven't watched yet, absolutely loved all the star trek IP from pre 2000.

Is this so woke it will kill my fondness of the universe?
i think you'd be better off watching strange new worlds

Cybsled

Season 1 and Season 2 are pretty uneven. There are some cool/nice moments, but a lot of crap. Highlight of season 2 are the Q+Picard interactions, which unfortunately are fairly sparse.

Season 3 thus far feels more like TNG/DS9 era Trek. Hopefully they can keep up the same quality levels.

Also, like Lanx mentioned, Strange New Worlds was solid and also felt like a return to pre-2000s Trek

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think you'd be better off watching strange new worlds
i had shied away from strange new worlds because i had no faith in any new trek. i watched the first 2 seasons of discovery and it was AAAAWWWWWFFFFUUUUULLL and it killed any desire i had to watch anything coming out with the name star trek. that being said i really liked anson mount as christopher pike, he was REALLY enjoyable.

last week i was visiting my kids and the plane had the first 3 episodes of strange new worlds. i had heard good things but i was still extremely hesitant to watch it, but there wasn't much else to watch so i gave it a go and HOLY COW IT'S SO GOOD!!

totally recommend anyone who was in the same boat as me; not watching it out of fear of how bad everything else has been... it's very much old trek just with the nice, shiny packaging of discovery (which is the only thing it had going for it)

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you absolutely hated the TNG movies, and didn't find even 1% entertainment in them-- there's a chance Picard S3 isn't for you. This would be a huge faggot that's fun at parties.

Skipping Picard S3 for Strange New World's doesn't really add up to me unless it's about having to watch S1 and S2, then I can understand.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Best thing about S3 Picard is that I really see no need to have seen S1/S2 Picard even though I did.
People could hop into S3 and not be lost at all really.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Only major thing that ties back to prior seasons is Picard = basically an android. But everything else is minor enough that you don't really need the background really.

• 1Like