Star Trek: Picard

Goatface

show isn't terrible, but slowly moving that way. the ship reminds me of an 80's guitar and doesn't do anything for me.
think really spoiled by the expanse style of ships now.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah its hard to pinpoint one single thing that is terrible or even good, some times its kinda interesting and other times its just "da fuq" bad like Risky Business sock sliding

did anyone else laugh for 2 minutes straight when fucking Legolas showed up? I guess at least he used a sword instead of a bow, but goddamn you can totally tell the original LOTR was a trilogy the writer of this episode watched every day as a kid. He fucking looks exactly like Legolas.

This tries very hard to lean into that Lost trope of "throw mysteries at the audience until they are confused and want to see more" but I have zero confidence they can actually deliver on subtly weaving together multiple plot lines. Oh well, at least the chick android is pretty easy on the eyes.

They slowed down the pacing a bit at least, Riker directed this episode and you can feel him moving the story along a bit more deftly.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I was hoping Picard got stabbed in the duel and died. Didn't realize this was fantasy and he is now on a quest. Show is losing me big time.

Cybsled

Ya, Picard was at some cafe and some Romulan got rowdy and Legolas stepped in and pledged himself to Picard and owned the Romulan dude, then they got the fuck out of dodge asap.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It is worth mentioning that it was a former Romulan senator and keeping with tradition he got owned in the same episode he was introduced.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
what is the modern parallel they are trying to draw anyways? Mexicans are being shut out of America, sooooo Mexico is about to blow up so fuck you Trump? That doesn't make any sense. America is helping Israel keep down Palestine, but that doesn't make any real sense or comparison either. The West let Syria blow up and Assad and The Russians (Borg?) are bombing the shit out of everyone? What, no that doesn't make sense.

If anything you could say the story is that The Romulans are midwesterns, Starfleet is the political elite, and Starfleet abandoned the Romulans when they really needed their help because nobody cares about the Romulans and the Romulans are pissed and turned to The Borg (Trump) to fight back. Is Picard a right wing show?

Why have these dudes on Arrakis just fucked around for 15 years drinking wine in cafes? Did Romulans just give up on being the galaxies assholes? How the hell does this planet have this insane defense grid, or even WHY, who the fuck would want to come and kill the last of the Romulans? Are these the last of the Romulans? Why are they suddenly worse than Bajorans in levels of tech/society/poverty/etc? Why hasn't some other race that they may have antagonized in the past come and enslaved them? Why would a Romulan senator not been lynched for letting 99% of his species die?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

1581782035885.png

this came out this week, reading amazon comments, couple of people has issues with cussing (17 shits and 19 fucks) but just has a few reviews but mostly positive. i grabbed the audio book
i don't know if this covers the same ground of the comic. have not read that.
Just finished this book. It was exceptionally well written. Fast paced. Gave excellent background to the show, and some tidbits of good info on the TNG crew. Obviously, we all knew where it was going to end up. But the journey it took was very interesting.

Una McCormack is a veteran of Star Trek, now writing for a new age version, which she does so brilliantly.

We get a lot more about the political wrangling of the Federation Council vs Starfleet vs a distrustful enemy that can’t ask for aid, nor wishes to acknowledge the scale of the problem, and considers the ramifications of Federation assistance, which seems a much bigger issue to them than billions of their citizens dying in the supernova they seem almost to reject. I liked the frustration this caused on both sides.

We see various groups of people across the Federation—most of that action on Earth and Mars—trying to solve the unsolvable.

We are given a clearer view of the late 24th Century, where the ideals of what we know about Star Trek are tested to the limits, because of this calamitous situation. And the fact it threatens to consume the entire Federation, is again something that felt much better explained than in the show. Old school players like Picard, defending the values of the Federation, while newer younger members who can’t understand why their work should be put on indefinite hold, for Romulans. Since most were too young to have served during the Dominion War, and have only been on either Mars or Earth, they are disconnected with the founding principles of the Federation. It’s all so far away... Romulans should be in Romulan Space. Etc.

The scale of what is needed, in terms of ships, resources, locations for relocation, are explored. I found myself surprised by the level of aid required. The feasibility of the project is questioned at every level. The Romulan distrust of the Federation, properly explored. The resolute position of Admiral Picard, doing what was right, politics be dammed and his stubborn “will do” attitude, which has always been the brilliance of his command style, fails to get him the results he is so used to.

A CinC who believes in the mission, but has to smooth over the political ramifications of Picard’s choices... and a senior Captain, Clancy (we all know her!) who is cautiously on board, but continually frustrated by Picard, because of his dismissal of the politics and the enormous strain the mission is putting on the Federation. With resources spread thin and outlying planets left in terrible despair by the loss of their support, secession starts being pushed around the Federation News Network (FNN). Picard continually misses the enormity of the political situation. It isn't his problem. His eyes on solving the insurmountable task of moving billions of people, against a backdrop of Romulan suspicion, and a Federation Council swaying to loud voices in the media.

There is xenophobia and veiled racism within the Federation. But that’s not new. TNG and Voyager dealt with that to some degree, but never more so than DS9...

Some wins. Mostly failures. And of course the results we know.

I really enjoyed this book. If you want to have the backstory for Picard, without spoiling the show, this is it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
what is the modern parallel they are trying to draw anyways? Mexicans are being shut out of America, sooooo Mexico is about to blow up so fuck you Trump? That doesn't make any sense. America is helping Israel keep down Palestine, but that doesn't make any real sense or comparison either. The West let Syria blow up and Assad and The Russians (Borg?) are bombing the shit out of everyone? What, no that doesn't make sense.

If anything you could say the story is that The Romulans are midwesterns, Starfleet is the political elite, and Starfleet abandoned the Romulans when they really needed their help because nobody cares about the Romulans and the Romulans are pissed and turned to The Borg (Trump) to fight back. Is Picard a right wing show?

Why have these dudes on Arrakis just fucked around for 15 years drinking wine in cafes? Did Romulans just give up on being the galaxies assholes? How the hell does this planet have this insane defense grid, or even WHY, who the fuck would want to come and kill the last of the Romulans? Are these the last of the Romulans? Why are they suddenly worse than Bajorans in levels of tech/society/poverty/etc? Why hasn't some other race that they may have antagonized in the past come and enslaved them? Why would a Romulan senator not been lynched for letting 99% of his species die?

You've given the entire plot more consideration with this post that the writers gave it in the whole 3 weeks they spent working on the script.

Turn your brain off, it'll make sense. That's just how 95% of everything that tries to have a point is these days.

Except rick and morty. Most people just aren't smart enough to understand that show.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm

“In one of my scenes, where I had to go in and work a console, we go in for the first rehearsal and I had to touch buttons and the screen actually does something! And I totally flipped out, like: ‘Oh my god, actually having buttons that work!”
I don't know why, but i find that rather hilarious. I'm imagining cheap cardboard sets back in the 90s now (they weren't, but not far off)

• 1Like

Cybsled

Kind of a funny full circle thing...the old fake Trek consoles inspired engineers to make that IRL, now Trek uses the results of that RL tech.

• 1Blown
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Kind of a funny full circle thing...the old fake Trek consoles inspired engineers to make that IRL, now Trek uses the results of that RL tech.
what can sci fi even fathom now for "new shit"? i think about the only cool thing would be the directional air drop, i don't think we'll have tom cruise minority report for a long time.

Fucker

Log Wizard
what can sci fi even fathom now for "new shit"? i think about the only cool thing would be the directional air drop, i don't think we'll have tom cruise minority report for a long time.

SPORE DRIVE.

BLACK ALERT.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Has anyone here watched all of discovery, I saw the Klingons, puked in mouth a bit and never went back... is it terrible ?

• 1Solidarity