Star Trek: Picard

spronk

FPS noob
Has anyone here watched all of discovery, I saw the Klingons, puked in mouth a bit and never went back... is it terrible ?

i just finished season 1, its really bad in the middle of season 1 but gets a little better for a 4 episode stretch (alternate mirror universe) near the end but never really great. I've heard season 2 is really bad, i watched 1 episode so far and its ok

Goatface

i am just a little ways into the book, it has answered a few questions brought up here. spoiler'd as they may flash back.
were a new thing. created about 3 years before Mar shipyard event, were built as they had to make tons of new ship and some parts had to be hand made. they didn't have enough skilled people or time to train them
Romulans don't want help from outsiders. they had promised refugees a town and houses, gives them tents with high fences armed guards on a dust bowl of a planet as they were seen as disruptive and could start trouble
if i understood correctly, at 1st they thought had 10 years before the supernova, and it would take out 4 planets and effect 6 planets directly within 8 light years, but was adjusted to 14+ planets within 10+ light years. Romulans also have planets that can not support themselves, so they would need evac too. in all would effect over 2 trillion, but RHC would only let the fed help the 900million on outer and less important worlds

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has anyone here watched all of discovery, I saw the Klingons, puked in mouth a bit and never went back... is it terrible ?

Yeah, season 1 was pretty dreadful until halfway through and then it really picks up. Season 2 I enjoyed a great deal. It retained its darkness yet felt more in line with the Star Trek ideology everyone felt it veered away from in the initial episodes of season 1. Also, they fix some of the real upset over the Klingons in the second season.

If you haven't seen it based in how terribad the early episodes of season 1 were I'd definitely advise you to bear with.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
if i understood correctly, at 1st they thought had 10 years before the supernova, and it would take out 4 planets and effect 6 planets directly within 8 light years, but was adjusted to 14+ planets within 10+ light years. Romulans also have planets that can not support themselves, so they would need evac too. in all would effect over 2 trillion, but RHC would only let the fed help the 900million on outer and less important worlds
That is one hell of a supernova.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, the Romulans had 13 years or so to make the largest warfleet ever seen in order to conquer the bejeebus out of the Federation and any allies and then resettle on those planets. Instead, they just waited to be rescued by people they inherently distrust and hate because border-wall refugee message is more important than adhering to established Trek lore.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

I'm surprised they didn't use the Q Civil War to explain a funky ass supernova that seems to defy physics.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'm surprised they didn't use the Q Civil War to explain a funky ass supernova that seems to defy physics.
It's clear the writers don't know shit about astronomy. What's-her-face said, "There are over 3 billion stars in the galaxy". No, there are over 300 billion stars.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kurtzman had never seen a single episode of Star Trek prior to the 2009 movie, why would the trash tier writers of Discovery and Picard be any different?

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they've all seen Discovery, but not any actual Star Trek.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
kinda small for a supernova.

Those don't destroy one solar system, they wreck everything in a large radius. The biggest ones can impact 500-3000 light years.

Caliane

they dont watch much TV/streaming. took them forever to watch hill house. probably only did becuase Mike loves Ghost stuff.

notice they never mention Game of thrones or anything. none of the Marvel Streaming, Daredevil etc. Even the Streaming movies rarely.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Plus what are they gonna say about good shows? "Yeah it's good.."

Rich and Mike's entire shtick is how much everything sucks nowadays and how they hate everything new, you don't do videos like that with quality television.

I prefer videos where they are more natural and not in their online personas, like the group videos where they watch terrible VHS stuff.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Assuming the first season of Picard actually ends up somewhere, then the main problem is CBS trying to milk subscription months for a series meant to be released all at once like Netflix/Amazon.

Weekly long arcs stories only work if there's big developments / cliffhangers in every episode and it wasn't written that way.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Random fact I learned today. The sweary admiral from episode 2 was the front of Vulcan Death Grip back in the 80s.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Watched some TNG season 1 reruns instead of this, it was amazing.

My wife said that nothing happened for entire episodes, hell yes, it's just explorers doing science and diplomacy.

The specific episode was "The Neutral Zone" where they find frozen 20th century humans and revive them, Picard is pissed off at the distraction because they are on the way to make first contact with the Romulans after decades of silence because Federation border posts have been destroyed.

The 20th century humans are all weak and flawed, but the way Picard deal with the Romulans shows how far we can develop as a species.

Troi briefs Picard that Romulans do not strike first and prefer to provoke. Worf wants to raise shields and charge weapons, Riker wants to hit them as they decloak. Picard instead chooses to be passive to show peaceful intent and hails them. The Romulans are arrogant bastards but they are also there to investigate their destroyed outposts and it's hinted that it was The Borg.

In the same situation in the new TV show, I bet Picard is going to fire first.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So now that the Romulan Star Empire is gone, does that mean the Federation can finally start using cloaking devices?

It also begs the question as to what happened to the rest of the Romulan space. Yeah, losing the homeworld was a big blow but they had a sizeable chunk of territory in the beta quadrant so did it all go to lawlessness overnight?