Star Trek: Picard

Cybsled

Makes sense Spacedock is super beefy - if I recall from stuff I read about it, it has some ultra powerful shield generator to help sustain it in instances of attack or war. Looks like the fleet is trying to use concentrated phaser fire to wear it down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I finally got caught up and for the first time in decades I actually can't wait for the next episode of a Star Trek show to release.

In addition to what has already been said by others, a lot of the smaller details are also really well done. The sound design is fantastic. The dialogue and sound effects are superbly balanced. Everything that should sound big and impactful does, but you can still actually comprehend what the actors are saying. Why do so many other shows completely fuck this up? The score is good. Despite the ships being CG, it's clear that they took care to light them, shoot them, and imbue them with movement and momentum in a way that's reminiscent of the model ships from the older movies. Even the ship consoles look great - they're a great blend of the TNG era and the TOS movies along with updated touches that allow them to look appropriate for a modern show.

I did roll my eyes a bit at the reveal that the big bad is the Borg...again. But, I'll allow it. So far they've done a reasonably good job of building towards it, as well as justifying and explaining the how and the why. I was sort of expecting them to tie everything back to those weird brain parasite things from TNG, though.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
As a TNG wrap-up it's only appropriate for this season's villain to be the Borg. Just a shame they had to fuck with them in S1 and 2. I'll just pretend those seasons don't exist.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
My God

This was the perfect capstone to The Next Generation. It was what all of the TNG movies wanted to be and more. If Paramount doesn't lock Terry Matalas into a serious development deal for Star Trek: Legacy they are beyond brain dead. The way that motherfucker was telling us the tale of the Enterprise-G the whole damn time was perfect.

Now there are some issues with the overall plot and having to suspend disbelief, but nothing that can't be hand-waved away in the service of the overall narrative. The first cameo in the form of Chekov's son being the Federation President was a nice touch. The final cameo was the 'retcon' they mentioned a couple times and was sorely needed.
/

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'd like Q to show back up as the final resolution of the Borg shit spanning all the way back to Q Who on TNG.

I got what I wanted fuck everybody!

1682002404839.png

• 5Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Solid ending and send off to the next show.

The three cameo's were a surprise for the voice one for sure. The one at the end credits was expected but still amazing. And the third I am guess being the real version of someone from earlier in the season I guess.

That said:

Chekov's voice as the president... That voice cameo I did not see coming. Loved it.

Star Trek Legacy, the crew on the Enterprise G, I like the look of it. Will allow them to have a lot of cameos going forward.

Was real happy with Q, and his scene was awesome, and full of greatness. Easy to explain as the Q do not experience time like humans do. Which was how I was sure they were going to explain it if they brought him back.

Them calling the Titan a neo - constitution Class crusier, in the press release about the season should have been a dead give away to them re-commissioning it to the Enterprise G. But I missed it.

Janeway not being in it... meh

But it really showed that the virus they used on that borg collective really fucked them up.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I didn’t expect Q at the end, but he made a great point: humans think too linearly. The Q in season 2 could have literally been Q from 1000 trillion years from the present. Pretty easy to explain that. They also mentioned they might have a way to bring back Shaw if Legacy got greenlit, so Q being around would be an easy way to do that.

Great finale overall. I did like the revelation that the Delta Quadrant Borg are functionally extinct now and the trans warp network was effectively still gone - Janeway really fucked them over. So it really was a sort of finale for the OG Borg as well. You would just have the XB, unimatrix zero free Borg, and Juratti’s Borg now. I also laughed that they seem to have completely forgotten Laris…not even a mention in passing.

Also they finally mentioned Prune Juice, which was sorely missing

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
Star Trek Legacy? Sign me up. How they'll get Shaw back and interact with Seven now that she's captain of the Enterprise-G... no idea?

I am very interested in a 25th century Star Trek in this format (more realistic with swearing, violence etc) with Q back to haunt them?

The best thing is, they still have tons of Voyager and DS9 cameo appearances to use!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where the fuck was this the whole time?

That is how you end a generation and start anew.

I was surprised that nobody died. I love a super happy ending and all but it could have also had some realism. I like the retconned Enterprise G. It was its own origin story. Having the son as a councelor is kind of strange but it might actually work out really well. The cameos were well done with Q of course being the best one. It makes me wonder how many generations of Picard's line Q will torment in his existence? Its nice to have something to look forward to watching. I am excited for "Legacy". Maybe now we can get a big bad that is not the Borg? Worf killed it again..

So the rating for this show is misleading. You almost wish you could just seperate the rating for Season One and Two, from Three. One and Two would be 1-2 star. Three would be 5 Stars.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
S1: The worst Star Trek ever.
S2: Hot Garbage with only a few memberberries.

S3: Exceptionally well constructed. Stands alone on its own. (The finale is just about as perfect as it gets).

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Star Trek Legacy? Sign me up. How they'll get Shaw back and interact with Seven now that she's captain of the Enterprise-G... no idea?

I am very interested in a 25th century Star Trek in this format (more realistic with swearing, violence etc) with Q back to haunt them?

The best thing is, they still have tons of Voyager and DS9 cameo appearances to use!

Computer. Activate Emergency Engineering Hologram.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

“Please state the nature of…oh no, not this bullshit again”

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
yea not much to add great season and season finale, the poker table ending was right up there with All Good Things and a great book end. Worf was the superstar of the finale, cracked me up every time on screen and he has massive screen charisma. Its a real shame a Worf series never got off the ground, it would have been amazing.

Only minor quibble I'd have, and it is super super tiny and meaningless, is that Jack being THE collective wasn't written super well. It seemed like he was totally down with the idea of killing trillions as long as his borg family got to chill. I think thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people died due to his actions, you'd think that would have a little bit more consequence. I wish they had done a tiny bit more with the Borg Queen and Jack in explaining how she used him, the show made it basically seem like "yeah I called him and he answered and he was totally down with my ideas!" I also 100% expected Picard to sacrifice himself to save his son.

Glad Mr. Matalas redeemed the series at the end, hope the powers that be notice the huge difference in fan reception and viewers to Discovery, Picard 1 & 2, Picard 3, and SNW and stop giving Kurtzman control over stuff.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Juvarisx

Florida
All it took was a new showrunner that told Patrick Stewart to get fucked and let him do his thing.

This season is 10/10 for me, not every episode was but its all I wanted from a 25 year post TNG show.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Only minor quibble I'd have, and it is super super tiny and meaningless, is that Jack being THE collective wasn't written super well. It seemed like he was totally down with the idea of killing trillions as long as his borg family got to chill. I think thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people died due to his actions, you'd think that would have a little bit more consequence.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you remember Future Janeway fucked them all up so badly with her virus the collective the queen was still attached to was a tiny fraction.

Cybsled

It seemed like he was totally down with the idea of killing trillions as long as his borg family got to chill. I

Seven described the collective as sort of a euphoric drug on Voyager from what I remember. He was probably riding that high until he got snapped back to reality

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seven described the collective as sort of a euphoric drug on Voyager from what I remember. He was probably riding that high until he got snapped back to reality
They did actually kind of show that. You could tell that there was a euphoric effect to being attached to a collective. A sense of belonging that is very much human nature. The Borg excel at giving a human many of the things that we look for in life. Now add a drug or electric stimulation to the right points in our body and it might indeed be extremely difficult to resist.

• 1Like