Star Trek: Picard

Oldbased

> Than U
So my "free" trial ended the same hour I went to watch this yesterday and now all the current codes are "new" subs only and Paramount last year got wise and ties payment methods to accounts so unless I get a 6th method of payment, no more Paramount until they release a new or existing code, ending my what 3-4 years of CBS/Paramount+ free viewing haha.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So my "free" trial ended the same hour I went to watch this yesterday and now all the current codes are "new" subs only and Paramount last year got wise and ties payment methods to accounts so unless I get a 6th method of payment, no more Paramount until they release a new or existing code, ending my what 3-4 years of CBS/Paramount+ free viewing haha.
Its worth the 9.99 through Roku or Amazon; Just this and Yellowstone typically justify it for me. I haven't watched much TV Star Trek since Voyager ended. Picard S1/S2 were hot garbage. This season was great. I have been arguing "plot holes" with people on Twitter. I am amazed how loosely people watch movies/TV.

It was a great send off. Not perfect but great. Most improved show on TV season to season maybe ever. Really shows a Studio how to respect on an IP and how to do nostalgia while staying within the confines of narrative. I get that its not same as previous non-serial/less action oriented TNG. They were telling a different set of non-connected stories over 26 episodes with no endpoint, while this was a defined story with an complete season and series and most likely character finale and tons more action spread out over just 10 episodes. It was never going to be just like week to week episodic TNG.

Popcast Unleashed has a great interview with Terry Matalas: talking about his career and some of the decisions that went into the season. I loved it enough that I bought the TNG complete series Blu Rays so I could spend more time with the characters again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Maul

Dental Dammer
Vidic was a fucking awful baddie, holy shit what a fucking unbelievable stupid character.

Otherwise season 3 was a surprise considering how fucking shit 1 and 2 were.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I had been hearing season 3 was pretty good, and a tiktok of the walking onto the bridge scene popped up so I was like alright maybe I watch this.

First I had to watch season 2, because I stopped after season 1. Man, season 2 was fucking aggressively bad. Not how Picard would act towards the Borg, Guinnan doesn't remember Picard lol?, not the same world Sisko went back to? Lots of shit they just threw out. Pilled on top of the story was bad.

Season 3 was pretty great though. This is what the show should have been the whole time.

Cybsled

They did throw in a small Sisko Easter Egg - there are a couple times where they mention Sanctuary Districts or show a sign for one

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Shut off immediately on Kurtzman stating season 1 and 2 were necessary. Maybe one of the seasons was, but justifying both seasons I won't stand for.

Cybsled

They were necessary to show Stewart and the show runners they were doing it wrong and tanking the IP

Season 3 was the apology

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, we definitely needed everyone telling Picard what a piece of shit he was. One more cherished legacy character given the "everything went to hell when you weren't watching" Star Wars treatment. Can't have too much of that. I know, let's give him a tragic backstory out of nowhere and kill Troy and Riker's child and have Seven be a weary cynic. Star Trek needs more contemporary language, swears and horrific violence. The actor that played Icheb had some hot takes for Twitter? Torture and kill the character he played in fashion horrific enough it fucks up Voyager.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, we definitely needed everyone telling Picard what a piece of shit he was. One more cherished legacy character given the "everything went to hell when you weren't watching" Star Wars treatment. Can't have too much of that. I know, let's give him a tragic backstory out of nowhere and kill Troy and Riker's child and have Seven be a weary cynic. Star Trek needs more contemporary language, swears and horrific violence. The actor that played Icheb had some hot takes for Twitter? Torture and kill the character he played in fashion horrific enough it fucks up Voyager.

What, you mean you didn't watch TNG for the gritty, nihilistic, broken-person character drama and moral relativism ?

Next you'll be complaining that an emo grimdark superman is 'against the spirit of the character' or something.

• 2Like

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
The wife and I binged s2 / s3 over the last week or so since s3 was getting such praise online. I wanted to be able to read things again and here we are.

I enjoyed s2 as it was at least better than s1. Honestly, the last arboretum sit down with Q / Picard hit me right in the feels. "I am dying alone...I do not want that for you..." ooph.

I heard s3 blew the hinges off compared to s2 so I went in with high expectations. It delivered on so many levels of nostalgia and was exactly what I wanted. I was able to suspend quite a bit of disbelief due to that. Getting the band back together slowly over the season was great. I thought Vadic was a good baddie, thoroughly deranged with an intriguing back story.

I think both s2 / s3 benefited in the same way later seasons of 'Lost' did. I didn't wait week after week for episodes, they were all ready for me. Even if one was slow or disappointing it was on to the next one.

My main disappointments were the Borg, again. I am failing to put together those Borg vs. the new federation Borg from s2. I was expecting some sort of queen conflict or even mention of them.

Also, Laris? '"This is the life we chose..." Great! See you never! I have a new family now"

Assuming it gets made, I will give Captain Seven / Star Trek Legacy a shot. I wouldn't mind a return to episodic structure of a series as well. Some overarching storyline or things spanning a few episodes is great, but I liked the single serving nature of TNG as well.

• 2Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Has this been linked here? Not sure where else it would belong, but this is very well done.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm glad I watched season 3, but I luckily avoided s1-2 and discovery thanks to RLM and these forums.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users