Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
1 to 10, how much SJW propaganda will I have to endure to watch this ? 10 being netflix level.

Chris

Potato del Grande
1 to 10, how much SJW propaganda will I have to endure to watch this ? 10 being netflix level.
I want to know too.

I keep getting clips of this in the YouTube algorithm and it... looks like Star Trek... it looks great.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The first episode was good, especially when compared against recent Trek. Lays decent groundwork. As has been stated it felt more like real “Star Trek” and nothing like what they’ve tried to do with Discovery or Picard.

It is definitely flashy and bright and CG. Not full JJ Abrams. It is closer to TNG right now than TOS. Reminded me of the TNG episode First Contact

Speaking of, since we just fished Season 1 of TOS it was Cook going in to this immediately with questions about how this bridges The Cage and The Menagerie. The flash forward showing Pike in the Dalek wheelchair was great. Old school big tricorders are funny with everything else hyper tech. Chapel is a little irritating in the sense that she’s overplaying the quirkiness or something that is off from how everyone else is.

Worth seeing where it goes. Haven’t watched Episode 2 yet.

Was there a reference to Discovery in here? I only watched the first half of season 1 and was kind of lost or got distracted about how Kiley got the warp technology. Then they said something about the events of the Discovery, and then that it was all classified. No idea what was going on.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Picard technically left a civ to die in Homeward; did the whole sad speech and everything as the planet died. In Pen Pals, he was definitely going to but Data borked it up.
He honestly seemed happy when Data 'borked it up' in Pen Pals, I forgot about Homeward although they arrived way too late to really do anything in that case.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Was there a reference to Discovery in here? I only watched the first half of season 1 and was kind of lost or got distracted about how Kiley got the warp technology. Then they said something about the events of the Discovery, and then that it was all classified. No idea what was going on.

Yes. Basically the event that sent Discovery into the far future was really close to the Kiley planet and some how or other, they were able to observe all the warp field shit going on and figured out how to make a bomb using that. They didn't really explain it much more than that.

Pike & crew didn't get charged with violating the proto-prime directive because of a loophole in their current law, because Star Fleet couldn't acknowledge the events from that Discovery happening. The proposed Prime Directive would close that loophole.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I am pretty sure that in one of the worst episodes of Star Trek, TOS ("The Paradise Syndrome") Kirk becomes Kirok, lives amongst Native American Indian analogues, has a baby, all while the Enterprise spends 9-12 months deflecting an asteroid from hitting their planet. Well, a kinda terrible "Checkov's gun" (no, not the Star Trek Checkov, the literary one...) is pulled in the last act that saves the day.

But, the Enterprise was, I believe, trying to save the planet from an asteroid collision. It's the right thing to do, Prime Directive-wise...

I may be wrong, but I cannot bring myself to rewatch that particular episode. It's bad. Really, really bad...

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
latest episode was a little wonky in the writing and pacing but felt very much like a dozen TNG/DS9 episodes I've seen before. Black Bones was a little weird, just sorta constantly giving up instead of fighting to fix everything but maybe you chalk that up to light covid-2250

I had no idea the actor playing Spock is the grandson of Gregory Peck

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

The twist with Una was interesting and some good misdirection. Good chance to explore that more. I always felt they never really addressed Bashir in DS9 outside a couple episodes and some quips

spronk

FPS noob
mighta been the best episode so far, show is great. At first I was a bit nonplussed about not seeing any Gorn but it makes sense to slowly build them up, I like the Alien/Predator vibe they are giving off. I'm not sure how they are going to show them if they are still the goofy Dinosaur things from the TOS episode but I suspect we'll see a twist, like someone else is pretending to be them or whatever.

I love all the little details and the fact that alt-crew was on the bridge handling shit, and various problems were solved by multiple teams working together. Discovery has sucked ass because Burnham is both the source of the problem and the sole person who fixes it almost every time. On Picard no one can solve anything, they all just start breaking down weeping about their mothers or drink alcohol. the Captain making an impassioned speech right before a "we may die" moment had deep Trek vibes.

Loved the submarine references, good nods to TOS

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Ya, this show has been pretty good thus far. They finally got the memo that we want more golden era Trek and not the new shit like Discovery or Picard

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Discovery poisoned the well for nu-trek (for me). So, if Strange New Worlds keeps the reported quality through the various seasons, I will probably watch this the same way I watched Enterprise, that is, 10 years after it was off the air.

• 2Solidarity

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Discovery poisoned the well for nu-trek (for me). So, if Strange New Worlds keeps the reported quality through the various seasons, I will probably watch this the same way I watched Enterprise, that is, 10 years after it was off the air.

Somehow ended up at the startrek.com site. It's telling that most of the page is dedicated to Strange New Worlds.

Picard and the cartoon get some coverage, while Discovery is relegated to the very bottom of the page. You have to scroll way down to see it.

Wish Kurtzman would get the aids or monkey pox.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

Enterprise was killed too early - just as they started to find their feet and they were getting to a really good story line (the Romulan War), they cancel the show and end up creating one of the worst finales ever

• 2Like

Cybsled

I'm not sure how they are going to show them if they are still the goofy Dinosaur things from the TOS episode but I suspect we'll see a twist, like someone else is pretending to be them or whatever.

Enterprise showed a mirror universe Gorn. They aren’t going to do the $5 costume style. They’ll probably be more like Iksar raptors

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Enterprise was killed too early - just as they started to find their feet and they were getting to a really good story line (the Romulan War), they cancel the show and end up creating one of the worst finales ever

They spent like 3+ seasons on the fucking asteroid threat or whatever? Whatever that 5 race alliance or whatever was called. God that got old. I agree with you though it was a good show overall. I liked the cast and it was fun the first time watching it through.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
ST:SNW episode 3 was trash. Awful, BS technobabble BS and a terrible story/stories.

4 was better, although they trashed the Enterprise. They better make the Gorn as scary as HR Giger's alien is.

Cybsled

I kind of like how they are using the Gorn - they are a severely underused race in Star Trek.

Werent they originally going to use them in DS9 for the Dominion War and then decided to swap them for the Breen? Probably a lot more budget friendly to make a bunch of Daft Punk aliens than a realistic dinosaur/lizard race