Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I would crush your 11 year old daughter in OW on any character

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
See it's hard for me to blame companies about trying to make as much money as possible because that is how our society is set up. I think we just get mad at EA because they are fucking with stuff we love doing and making it shit but in reality they are doing what we all try and do and that is make as much money as possible. I did my capitalistic duty and cancelled so maybe gaming can become fun again with the games we want to play.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I would crush your 11 year old daughter in OW on any character

Absolutely. It's painful to watch the matches she's in because the skill level is so low. I guess the point I'm making is that even at that skill level it's filled with level 1200+ people. Best case those are other kids.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Overwatch is an interesting comparison because the player base is actually retarded. I'll put it to you this way. My 11 year old daughter gets to play video games only on weekends. Most weekends we're out of town at sports events, so zero time spent playing.

She's now level 100 in Overwatch, I think level 104, and she'll tell me when these insane morons show up. There are people with > 4 silver stars getting their asses kicked by an 11 year old girl who gets to play the game maybe 4 hours a week. Watching her play, to someone like most of us here - retired powergamers - is extremely difficult. Yet here she is playing against people who may have thousands of hours into the game.

If Blizzard makes a killing off those people buying loot boxes so they can look like tribal warriors or whatever the fuck, so be it. So long as kids who have spent $0 on it (I did buy it for $60, as that was the only box price offered on PS4 at the time.) can demolish them. That's the critical point. You can spend a ton of time and money, but that shouldn't give you any kind of bonus (in a game like a FPS game, at least.) against those who paid the minimum entry price.

It's not a comparison in that one's a full price AAA game that is literally a pay to win model on a competitive FPS. The other is a discounted game with a pay for cosmetic model that does not effect gameplay at all.

Both can be shitty models, but they aren't very comparable as your daughter's example highlights.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Overwatch is an interesting comparison because the player base is actually retarded. I'll put it to you this way. My 11 year old daughter gets to play video games only on weekends. Most weekends we're out of town at sports events, so zero time spent playing.

She's now level 100 in Overwatch, I think level 104, and she'll tell me when these insane morons show up. There are people with > 4 silver stars getting their asses kicked by an 11 year old girl who gets to play the game maybe 4 hours a week. Watching her play, to someone like most of us here - retired powergamers - is extremely difficult. Yet here she is playing against people who may have thousands of hours into the game.

If Blizzard makes a killing off those people buying loot boxes so they can look like tribal warriors or whatever the fuck, so be it. So long as kids who have spent $0 on it (I did buy it for $60, as that was the only box price offered on PS4 at the time.) can demolish them. That's the critical point. You can spend a ton of time and money, but that shouldn't give you any kind of bonus (in a game like a FPS game, at least.) against those who paid the minimum entry price.

Man I don't want retards who get beaten by 11 year olds to be able to gamble with lootboxes.

Also, the critical point isn't that YOU are still on a level playing field in overwatch, its that the 'lootbox / monetize everything' fiesta is sweeping through gaming because retards who get beat by 11 year old girls will gamble on stupid lootboxes.

Overwatch is a smaller cog in the overall fiesta machine

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I'd agree but a lot of the pets/mount sales actually go to charity or disaster relief. Not all of course.

Also you can turn wow gold into blizzard bucks now
Yeah I thought it was pretty insane when they added that. Basically reverse mtx, play the game more and we will pay you!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Micro trans action?

Like making out with midget trannies?

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff
While what Blizzard does with Overwatch isn't as bad as what Battlefront is doing, it is only a matter of degree, not of kind.

The point of loot boxes is to hide the true cost of the thing you want so that you will pay more for it, whether that be cosmetics or "game". For Overwatch you can, given the drop rates, calculate the average cost of "buying" the item you want, and then figure out whether you would have paid that much money if it were just sitting in a shop at that price. I guarantee you that if the actual cost of the skin or skins was displayed clearly and explicitly far fewer people would purchase them, which is why it is hidden in a blind box mechanic, to manipulate people into buying more at a higher price point.

In my opinion Blizzard shouldn't get a pass because it is only cosmetics, it is the tactic of hiding true costs that is the sleazy part, not what you are selling.

Last edited:
  • 4Solidarity

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Man I don't want retards who get beaten by 11 year olds to be able to gamble with lootboxes.

Also, the critical point isn't that YOU are still on a level playing field in overwatch, its that the 'lootbox / monetize everything' fiesta is sweeping through gaming because retards who get beat by 11 year old girls will gamble on stupid lootboxes.

Overwatch is a smaller cog in the overall fiesta machine

I think you are correct. What was a mainstream full price game is becoming a mainstream game with some purchase price with the implied spend within the game to compete or get the "full experience".

I had something typed up about how this may be similar to how complex some mainstream games used to be. In the 90s you had to buy and install your own video card, and perhaps gaming (PC gaming) reflected that assumed complexity. Eventually mainstream gaming devolved to appeal to wider audiences, to simply make more money, but I don't think this is the place for that discussion. I just think the take away is that they make more money with this loot box pay to win bullshit, so here it is, and this is the direction mainstream gaming is going.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I think you are correct. What was a mainstream full price game is becoming a mainstream game with some purchase price with the implied spend within the game to compete or get the "full experience".

I had something typed up about how this may be similar to how complex some mainstream games used to be. In the 90s you had to buy and install your own video card, and perhaps gaming (PC gaming) reflected that assumed complexity. Eventually mainstream gaming devolved to appeal to wider audiences, to simply make more money, but I don't think this is the place for that discussion. I just think the take away is that they make more money with this loot box pay to win bullshit, so here it is, and this is the direction mainstream gaming is going.

Power is always with the consumers though. That's what gets me. We have SO much power - hell, I would venture to say we have ALL the power. If we could get everyone together on the same page for ethical capitalism in not only this industry, but shit, everywhere (Which will never happen but still) we would dominate their decision making process or they can go fuck themselves out of business then.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Power is always with the consumers though. That's what gets me. We have SO much power - hell, I would venture to say we have ALL the power. If we could get everyone together on the same page for ethical capitalism in not only this industry, but shit, everywhere (Which will never happen but still) we would dominate their decision making process or they can go fuck themselves out of business then.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm going to have a lot of free time during Thanksgiving week. Should I buy BF2 or Shadow of War?

• 2Picard
  • 2Worf

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I'm going to have a lot of free time during Thanksgiving week. Should I buy BF2 or Shadow of War?

Both, that way you can skip the family Christmas because you won't have any money left.

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Rent Shadows of War, skip BF2, and buy a PSVR with Skyrim. That should absorb you for the next 50 years :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user