Star Wars : Rogue One

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
So the whole old structure is dead. There's nothing about being on Neflix that cheapens it. You're using 20 year old logic

Yeah he's saying it's cheapened relative to a distribution landscape defined by realities that fundamentally changed a long time ago. Ease of access for a nominal fee became a necessity when it became much easier to download movies for free with just a little bit of hassle and know how. If Lucasfilm or any other studio wanted to sit on their perch and pretend that they're the same gatekeepers to their own content that they were 30 years ago they would be just as stupid as the record companies were at the dawn of Napster.

I'll take the cheapened model any day of the week thank you.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Disney is probably cool with the $300 million per year they are getting from Netflix to not give a fuck about the shitty rental market.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I'm not sure what statement you are trying to make here. Without Netflix and services such as, more people would be required to rent and purchase movies. Showing it on a streaming choice for a low monthly fee cheapens the value of the movie when it comes to rental and purchase which is what I said. What you said contradicts itself by saying nobody rents movies anymore. No shit. Why?

The original post was "Does it being on netflix cheapen it". If you want to pretend he was talking about the rental price, then I guess you win...

Jive Turkey

Karen
Yeah he's saying it's cheapened relative to a distribution landscape defined by realities that fundamentally changed a long time ago. Ease of access for a nominal fee became a necessity when it became much easier to download movies for free with just a little bit of hassle and know how. If Lucasfilm or any other studio wanted to sit on their perch and pretend that they're the same gatekeepers to their own content that they were 30 years ago they would be just as stupid as the record companies were at the dawn of Napster.

I'll take the cheapened model any day of the week thank you.

My point is, being on Netflix is no different than being in the video store 20 years ago. It doesn't "cheapen" the franchise; it's just how things are done these days

Oldbased

> Than U
The original post was "Does it being on netflix cheapen it". If you want to pretend he was talking about the rental price, then I guess you win...
I didn't think anyone was trying to win. I am just stating my view it does cheapen the movie, but that is how it simply is these days. The alternative is much worse for everyone. The only one I was claiming to win was the consumers.
Put another way is I feel the movie industry holds the viewers less hostage these days. They are still making mistakes such as the insane 5.99 HDX/HD rental pricing when you can buy it on release day often for $14.99 or less for permanent viewing. The lower purchase price is a result of steaming/prem offerings such as Netflix and eventually HBO GO/NOW/Starz whatever. The rental price cannot cheapen that value by a realistic $2-3 HD offering because then even less would purchase and they cannot pull as much from said companies which in many cases they own part or all of.

It still has a ways to advance and catch up and if the hundreds of paid metric surveys I've taken recently due to my free time and need of cash is any indication they know it and something big is coming in the next year or two.
Back to my original point. Saturation isn't a terrible thing. It does weaken the value, but it allows the viewers more options in how and where they see the things they want to see. It doesn't apply just to this series or world. It applies to all offerings.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Just saw this on Netflix. It was boring as shit till like the last 20 minutes. Only dude I didn't want to die in the end was the blind monk, nobody else had any personality at all.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just saw this on Netflix. It was boring as shit till like the last 20 minutes. Only dude I didn't want to die in the end was the blind monk, nobody else had any personality at all.

Uhhhh? Excuse me, you forgetting this Oscar winning role???

200w.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users