Star Wars : Rogue One

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah that was a typo, I meant rogue one is better than the prequels. It's definitely worse than Force Awakens.

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah that was a typo, I meant rogue one is better than the prequels. It's definitely worse than Force Awakens.

y u no sparkle???

After watching both Ep7 and RO a few times now, my opinions of the two have reversed. At first I didn't think Ep7 was all that good (rehash of Ep4, etc etc) but I realize now it had to do what it did to reset everything back to zero and introduced a bunch of new very likable characters. Rogue One was the opposite. Thought it was awesome on first viewing, then subsequent viewings realized that the first 80% of the movie is total trash and the fighting on/above Scarif is the only saving grace. Plus the characters are almost entirely terrible. The only memorable character is K2SO because of his witty quips and (ffs he's a robot) is the only one with any type of personality. The explanation of the Death Star's weakness was a good touch, it really was one of the dumbest examples of a contrived plot device that went completely unexplained in any movie ever. Vader scene was badass as well, nice to see some high level Sith carnage on screen.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Really interesting reading some of the opinions here. I thought it would be more universally liked here.

I just watched Rogue One and thought it was far and away better than TFA. I pretty much thought TFA was a waste of my time. RO I thought worked well as its own story, without so much dependence on prior films or knowledge. I appreciated the overall darker toneto the film and there was a lot less ridiculous behavior and dialogue compared to TFA. The plot and actions felt way less forced and hastened than in TFA. I doubt I'll ever watch either again as I'm not a die hard SW fan, but I'm glad to have watched RO (unlike TFA). Maybe not being a die hard allowed me to appreciate it more, I don't know.

It is silly as shit that the imperial archive uses goddamn hard disk drives you have to manually retrieve with a machine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It is silly as shit that the imperial archive uses goddamn hard disk drives you have to manually retrieve with a machine.

Weren't they painted into that corner because the original movie was written by a luddite in the 70's. He couldn't imagine any more advanced form of data storage. So it had to be a disk and it had to be transmitted.

Bladefury

N00b
Where else would you store top secret data in a secured facility, where physical access (both just walking in there, AND being forced to retrieve an individual data chip) is restricted? You don't exactly put that thing in a cloud based storage, no matter how advanced it is.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Where else would you store top secret data in a secured facility, where physical access (both just walking in there, AND being forced to retrieve an individual data chip) is restricted? You don't exactly put that thing in a cloud based storage, no matter how advanced it is.

Even if you give them that, why do you have to play the claw game to get the disk?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Please stop bumping this thread each time I see it it triggers me and I have flashbacks of this godawful shit fest.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, at one point Jimmy Smits is told to send someone to get obiwan. He then says that the person he will send served him well in the Clone wars. I have no idea about all that, was Leia active in all that? That line confused me.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Mon Mothma asks Bail to reach out to his Jedi friend to see if he'll help. Bail says he served him well in the Clone Wars and he'll send someone right away. She says it'll have to be someone trustworthy to which he replies I'd trust her with my life.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
The tech of Star Wars doesn't really bear a lot of prolonged thought.

The only thing that ever really bothers me is that Storm Trooper armor is so worthless. And there's an awful lot to be bothered by, but 99% of it you can handwave away.

Stormtrooper armor though you can't. That's just GI Joe levels. There's so much that it could have been. It could be just a flightsuit. Tie Fighters are supposed to be pretty hot shit. The suit allows you adaptive full body control.. but these guys march in it, so it ain't that. It could be ceramic protection against beam weapons. But any time lazers start to pew pew storm troopers hide behind bulkheads, and if they take a lazer to the chest they die. So it's not that.

So it's just a uniform. That's fine too. But we already have cloth uniforms in the movie, and pretty good scifi cloth uniforms at that.

I mean they look cool. But that's all it is. It serves a visual purpose in the movie. I feel like it could have done two things.

It's a nerdrage. It's the only complaint I have with the science of Star Wars though. The rest of it I can go, "Yeah. Ok. That's fair."

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Even if you give them that, why do you have to play the claw game to get the disk?

Technology in Star Wars has always been a mishmash of truly futuristic and needlessly primitive.

And that point in the movie is essentially the scene from Mission Impossible where Tom Cruise infiltrates CIA Headquarters to steal the NOC list (though not nearly as well executed). The claw game control is kinda like the rat in the air duct; a minor hiccup/hoop to get past to dangle the objective just slightly out of arms reach for a moment. So it served the story.

Caliane

Its not Starwars if the data storage console is not inexplicably set on a bridge, over a giant pit, with no railing.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ i watched blu ray rip of Rogue One last night. I still enjoyed the movie. Sure, it could have been a lot better and yeah all these movies constantly being about versions of the Death Star is ultra repetitive and yeah there are lots of meh scenes and the only characters I really gave a shit about are K2S0 and blind ninja but ehhh... i'm always in for more star wars, although not as hard as this fan boy:

I'm just hoping directors in the future (Han Solo, Boba Fett, Obi Wan) are willing to take more risks and expand out instead of staying inside the safety box of jedi, safe rebels, and death star shenanigans.

i played a few games of battlefront (scarif only maps) afterwards and while it was fun for about 2 minutes it kinda reminded me of how lame the game is :(

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Haha, the honest trailers is pretty much how I felt about this movie. Probably the best SW movie since 1983, but that's not saying much, really.

And yeah, he's completely right that the fucking robot has more personality (and thus more attachment to audience) than everyone else. He's the only one I remotely cared about "dying." I guess the Asians' scenes were decent, but... meh.

Neo-Star Wars continues to be RedBox for me. And maybe not even then... I'm having a hard time even giving $1.25 worth of a shit for Han Solo's travesty.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The tech of Star Wars doesn't really bear a lot of prolonged thought.

The only thing that ever really bothers me is that Storm Trooper armor is so worthless. And there's an awful lot to be bothered by, but 99% of it you can handwave away.

Stormtrooper armor though you can't. That's just GI Joe levels. There's so much that it could have been. It could be just a flightsuit. Tie Fighters are supposed to be pretty hot shit. The suit allows you adaptive full body control.. but these guys march in it, so it ain't that. It could be ceramic protection against beam weapons. But any time lazers start to pew pew storm troopers hide behind bulkheads, and if they take a lazer to the chest they die. So it's not that.

So it's just a uniform. That's fine too. But we already have cloth uniforms in the movie, and pretty good scifi cloth uniforms at that.

I mean they look cool. But that's all it is. It serves a visual purpose in the movie. I feel like it could have done two things.

It's a nerdrage. It's the only complaint I have with the science of Star Wars though. The rest of it I can go, "Yeah. Ok. That's fair."

It's so that they are immune to smoke stains which need washing away. Remember in Episode 8 that the masks filter smoke not poison gas.

• 1Like