Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The best thing to do is check other reviews by the same critic and you get an idea of if they like the same movies as you.

Scott Mendelson of Forbes gave Star Wars the same score as The Fantasic 4 this year and gave the latest Hunger Games that just came out a better score then both. That is all I need to know this guy is a moron.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
anyone in Philly want my 4 tickets to the 10pm show at the KOP IMAX? front row in dead center of theater.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Just finished watching it.

It's pretty freaking awesome. Nostalgia overload.

BB8 is the new R2-D2

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
^Europe.

Just got back from the film.

I am very disappointed :/ It was so mediocre. Abrams was way too afraid to do anything different and so much of it felt forced and contrived. I really wanted to love it, I am a HUGE Star Wars fan (I've been to 5 Star Wars conventions, 4 Celebrations etc.) But I just simply didn't love it. It was "okay".

The good stuff: Finn and Rey were awesome, I really liked them. And Supreme Leader Snoke was fantastic. Kylo was decent, I guess. He was really great when he had a tantrum and raged. Hayden, take note. Leia was awful, Carrie Fisher's acting is terrible. Pretty annoyed that the spoiler I accidentally read a few months ago about Han being killed was true, but I believed it back then as well because it made sense. It didn't actually bother me in itself to be honest, it just somehow felt silly. Obi-Wan death 2.0 with new future Jedi 2.0 in training watching as it happens etc. Same thing with Luke not being in the film at all till the very end, it made sense so I believed it, and I guess it worked. Although Luke going into hiding while all this shit is going down is a little stupid. He really went that emo? Really? And where the fuck did this map come from? Jesus it was like an exact replica of A New Hope. I liked the bait and switch with making us think Finn would be the new force sensitive/jedi when it was actually Rey, and she was pretty awesome, although if a tad bit unbelievable to be that strong.

Absolutely hated the Weasley general at first, but then when he went all Hitler I thought he was pretty decent. Anyways, that's just some random ramblings. There was also a lot of "convenient coincidences" and quite a few borderline plot holes that annoyed me. Overall the film somehow felt both too fast and too slow, if that makes sense.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
^Europe.

Just got back from the film.

I am very disappointed :/ It was so mediocre. Abrams was way too afraid to do anything different and so much of it felt forced and contrived. I really wanted to love it, I am a HUGE Star Wars fan (I've been to 5 Star Wars conventions, 4 Celebrations etc.) But I just simply didn't love it. It was "okay".

The good stuff: Finn and Rey were awesome, I really liked them. And Supreme Leader Snoke was fantastic. Kylo was decent, I guess. Leia was awful, Carrie Fisher's acting is terrible. Pretty annoyed that the spoiler I accidentally read a few months ago about Han being killed was true, but I believed it back then as well because it made sense. It didn't actually bother me in itself to be honest, it just somehow felt silly. Obi-Wan death 2.0 with new future Jedi 2.0 in training watching as it happens etc. I liked the bait and switch with making us think Finn would be the new force sensitive/jedi when it was actually Rey, and she was pretty awesome, although if a tad bit unbelievable to be that strong.
Pretty much what I've got from my friends, most give it a 6/10

Homsar

Ending spoiler
Rey defeating Kylo and using force powers without Jedi training is stupid and one of the main complaints also

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Ending spoiler
Rey defeating Kylo and using force powers without Jedi training is stupid and one of the main complaints also
Ha, yeah, no training whatsoever, not in the force or in using a lightsaber, and yet she totally fucked him up. I mean, she was retreating throughout most of the battle, but she was holding her own, and then they lock sabers and he mentions training her, which like totally reminds her that this force thing actually exists or something, closes her eyes to meditate like she's mother fucking Qui-Gon Jin reincarnate, and then just completely wrecks him. Lol.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Down to 94% on RT and we have a handful of negative reviews. Quite curious how people are leaving with such extremes. I guess it's to be expected. While I have not seen the film yet I think you have to be mindful of this being the first installment and secondly if you want people to buy into the long haul (2 more movies and 2 other side movies... or maybe more) you have to play it slightly safe. A lot of trust has been broken in the franchise so i'm going to assume the JJ is going to make sure we feel safe getting in the car with him before we start jumping out of planes. At least that's going to be my mindset. I may feel the same tomorrow but i'm trying to prepare myself for a very safe installment to the series. As long as it's better than any of the Hobbitt's, I think i'll be fine.

Homsar

Well the video linked earlier with the first reviews with the Phantom menace were positive, hate didnt come at first

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Also LOL at the size of Death Star 3.0. I saw a scale graph a few weeks ago of how big the original Death Star was compared to other Sci Fi ships/the moon/Earth etc and then they say Death Star 3.0 is like 10-100x larger. That's as big as Earth if not larger, iirc the graph correctly. I love how they can build these things so quickly and get them destroyed so fast and yet they keep doing it.

Ugh I'm making myself sad talking like this. I'm going to bed and maybe when I wake up tomorrow it will feel like a better movie. I should just ignore all the shit and bask in the Star Wars love. It wasn't bad overall I guess. My fault for having high expectations. Finn and Rey were superb, Kylo was good, Snoke was great, and that gives me a lot of hope. They are the future of the films.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Well the video linked earlier with the first reviews with the Phantom menace were positive, hate didnt come at first
I always struggle with reviews anyway... naturally they're always subjective but when I try to explain to people how I rate a movie I always feel like i'm misleading them. If LotR:RotK is a 9 or 10, then what does that make it's predecessors since I do not view them as good as RotK? I think with this movie i'm going to just place it in a ranking among the other Star Wars to hopefully give people perspective.

For me, It's RotJ, ESB, ANH, RotS, CW, PM ... I can maybe swap a couple depending on my mood but i'm hoping TFA comes in within the Top 2-3. I just don't see how it can dethrone 20-30 years worth of entertainment stemming from my childhood.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
i'm hoping TFA comes in within the Top 2-3. I just don't see how it can dethrone 20-30 years worth of entertainment stemming from my childhood.
Lower your expectations. The film will ironically be better as a result. Aim for rank 4-5.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would be totally satisfied if I come out of the theater thinking it was better than RotJ, but I doubt it will be better than ANH or ESB. So it just has to be better than the prequels. My ranking is: ESB / ANH / RotJ / Prequels don't exist.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Lower your expectations. The film will ironically be better as a result. Aim for rank 4-5.
There were three things I read online that made me slot it back that far already. That will be ok, though.
Below are the reasons I am thinking 4th out of 7. No *real* spoilers but things I read that might be true that could be spoilers, so don't click.
1. Too much original movie call-back/retread. I love the original movies so much, they are such a part of my DNA I just don't even consider them when asked what my favorite movies are. I want the *next* Star Wars, not the old one.
2. Another Death Star. Really? Another Sith Super-weapon? Come on. That was one of the few good things about the prequels: No super weapons. The droid control ship in Phantom Menace was close enough.
3. No original 3 back together again/rumors of one of them dying. Not saying who but I wanted all three together again and it reall broke my heart to hear that it might not happen.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I still remember when I "spoiled" Matrix 3 by yelling at my guild that omg Trinity dies!!!111!!111!!!!!, promptly got guild kicked and pked in the middle of a Vex Thal raid all because I guessed she was gonna die.

I really need to disconnect my internet cable to Saturday morning to deal with Star Wars.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
As to one of Morrow's main complaints...

I think it's pretty obvious that Rey had been a student of Luke in the past. Her memory was wiped somehow (perhaps diabolically by Ren or by Luke to try to protect her from being found). Triggered by the battle, her prior connection to the Force began to more fully "awaken" and hence she was Luke 2.0. I'm sure this will all be made clear in the subsequent movies. If not, well then yeah, it's pretty damn dumb, but I don't see how it won't be the case.