Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I think Ren's helmet helps him mentally focus. It seems anytime he had his helmet on he was a badass with the force and then with it off he was a wuss. Dude should just leave it on all the time. I have to agree with most others on that it was rushed and the pacing was off. You're kinda just left wondering about the 30 year gap and why they are still fighting.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
One thing I noticed that seemed different or more dramatic was the camera angle and sound when the light saber duel started. The light saber seemed more real. Not sure how to explain it
One thing to keep in mind is that this is the first movie where they used real prop lightsabers like all the cosplayers use from saberforge, ultrasabers (except made by them obvs) etc instead of hilts with green sticks on the end. As a result the Sabers had real lighting effects that actually lit up the actors unlike previous movies where just the blade was added in via CGI.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I wish he would have kept the helmet on the whole time....with maybe the exception of when he killed his father. As soon as he took it off I was like "why is young Snape playing a sith?"

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
just saw it, damn it was great the crowd was really into it people made some awesome jokes during the movie, i didn't see you said it but when the force was being explained someone a few rows back said , yoda you seek yoda. Job well done.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I wish he would have kept the helmet on the whole time....with maybe the exception of when he killed his father. As soon as he took it off I was like "why is young Snape playing a sith?"
People have been saying this. I think his talking ff his helmet helps portray how immature and how lacking in training he really is. He really isn't vadar at all yet and this helps contrast that.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
People have been saying this. I think his talking ff his helmet helps portray how immature and how lacking in training he really is. He really isn't vadar at all yet and this helps contrast that.
Yeah, you even get that scene of him practically weeping about feeling the pull of the light side and begging Vader's skull for guidance. He's basically untethered emotion, and while he's very powerful he has little control. Snoke also says something about "completing his training" at the end once Rey bests him.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wall of text, just my opinion of course.

Everyone seems to forget that Luke was taught lightsaber combat from an old man...a bad ass old man mind you, but an old man. Vader was half machine, his movements were clunky and his saber fighting choppy, no longer fluid like it was in his younger days. Luke defeats him in the same style, overhead two-handed chops, swinging wildly like he is wielding a baseball bat.

Guaranteed Kylo's training under Luke was based more on the force, the understanding, use, and theory.

They mentioned he disrupted the training Luke was doing and iirc he murdered several other padawans. Fast forward and now Kylo-Ren is the "apparent" apprentice of Snoke, his training not complete. Killing his father may be a final step toward completing his training.

As far as the final fight, I disagree that it was bad. I thought it perfectly encompassed where the characters are in their lives. Rey was taken from his family at birth and trained to become a stormtrooper. He is not a clone, he has free will...he's a soldier. He makes the decision that being a trooper is bullshit, and hatches the plan to get Poe to pilot a tie-fighter so he can get the hell out of there and run away to live a "normal" life. He has been trained in hand to hand combat and blaster rifle, but as you see in the movie he was NOT trained to be a pilot or a gunner, hence why he's terrible at shooting when in the tie-fighter and the falcon...and he also states it.

Rey is a mysterious character, clearly on purpose. Who are her parents? How did she get to be so stoic? Why did she act like she had witnessed nightmares before like when she touched Anakin/Lukes saber? Why did Luke look at her like he knew EXACTLY who she was? How did she know how to do the jedi mind trick, did she hear about it in a tale? It would make sense. All will be revealed in Ep 8 I'm sure, I have a strong feeling that movie is going to be 100% jedi/sith.

Kylo-Ren. Son of Han Solo and Leia Organa. Force sensitive. Trained from presumably a young age by his uncle Luke Skywalker himself. At some point he gets pulled in by the dark side, destroying everything Luke had built up to that point. His parents, crushed, separate for various reasons. Luke, as a jedi would, self exiles himself to go in search of the first Jedi temple to look for answers as to why he failed.

Now, in the saber fight, we know that Finn has melee combat training. We know that Kylo has also had training, from a jedi (and possibly a sith), and Rey is clearly no stranger to handing out an ass beating.

At this point, not only has Kylo been shot by a wookiee bowcaster in the side of his abdomen (a weapon that clearly blew the everloving shit out of stormtroopers earlier in the movie), but he also just murdered his own father. Not only is he severely injured, but he is in a state of emotional distress. His focus throughout the fight visibly wanes, and JJ did a great job of showing how Kylo was trying to regain his focus by beating his blaster wound to inflict pain on himself. At the start of the fight, he is toying with Finn. Once Finn shows that he isn't going to just roll over and die, Kylo appears to get anxious, finally striking him down.

So our bad guy sith apprentice, who still has thoughts of the light side trying to creep in, who wants to follow in the footsteps of his legendary grandfather, who resents the hell out of his own father that he just murdered in cold blood, who is severely injured, and who just for all intents and purposes killed a perfectly healthy lightsaber wielding stormtrooper, tries to force pull his grandfather and uncles lightsaber out of the snow.

In comes Rey. She is sad that her apparent hero just got murdered by this fucker, and she is angry that the same asshole just most likely killed the guy whose idea it was to come this this doom ship to save her. She knows the force is real, her hero told her so. She felt the force when Kylo attacked her mind. She confirmed her belief in the force by using her own strength to bridge the force-gap in their minds and read Kylos own fear.

She pulls the saber to her because she is ready to fight. She is ready to avenge her new fallen friends. She is ready to kick this son of a bitch right in the balls.

Kylo, being a sith apprentice, and also a young idiot, thinks that he can persuade her to the dark side because she would be a powerful ally. She attacks with fury, and probably some fear, and he attacks with pure rage and emotion, trying to impose his will on her (as a sith does).

They clash, she remembers what Maz said to her, and she lets the force flow through her. Fear was beginning to win, she was about to be pushed off of the ledge. It brings immediate peace, she is at one with herself in that moment. All of Kylo's rage and emotion that he was projecting toward her pass right by her. She has the focus now to deal the battle ending blow to him.

Now, in Episode 8, Kylo Ren is off to complete his training with Snoke.

Rey is off to (let's be real here, it'll happen) become a student of Luke Skywalker.

Now we will have two force adepts to fight each other in Ep 8 and 9.

I absolutely can't wait.
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
biggrin.png

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
the lengths that you people will go to in order to make excuses for plot holes, inconsistencies, and generally bad story telling is truly astounding.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Re: The Kylo Ren mediocre lightsaber skills...

Remember when Han used Chewie's bowcaster and didn't even hit the 2 stormtroopers directly but just shot the ground under them and both were launched into the air like a grenade blew up at their feet? Well, Kylo Ren basically had the equivalent of a grenade explode inside his abdomen. That direct shot kills anyone that isn't pretty strong with the Force, he's probably using a good amount of his concentration and power just to keep his insides from spilling out of his body. That wasn't a little blaster shot like Chewie took to the shoulder, that was an explosive impact right in the abdomen. Dude was fucked up, bad.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
the lengths that you people will go to in order to make excuses for plot holes, inconsistencies, and generally bad story telling is truly astounding.

Remember when Han used Chewie's bowcaster and didn't even hit the 2 stormtroopers directly but just shot the ground under them and both were launched into the air like a grenade blew up at their feet? Well, Kylo Ren basically had the equivalent of a grenade explode inside his abdomen. That direct shot kills anyone that isn't pretty strong with the Force, he's probably using a good amount of his concentration and power just to keep his insides from spilling out of his body. That wasn't a little blaster shot like Chewie took to the shoulder, that was an explosive impact right in the abdomen. Dude was fucked up, bad.
See above

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

no he wasn't. he was walking around the swinging his sword just fine. that is more than enough to beat a couple of scrubs who have no idea what they're doing. \

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
To be fair, Rey does know what she is doing, same with finn they are both trained and proven to be capable of fighting, even still they should not have beat Ren so easily.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
To be fair, Rey does know what she is doing, same with finn they are both trained and proven to be capable of fighting, even still they should not have beat Ren so easily.
really? because in the movie i watched, Finn got his black ass beat down by a storm trooper with a cudgel literally 15 minutes before going 1 on 1 with a Sith.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I feel like his voice kept changing too when his helmet was off. Like he would try to project power with a batman-voice sometimes, but other times sound young and insecure.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Just got home. Loved all of it, no complaints whatsoever. Rey and Kylo standout bigtime as the highlights. Every single moment of this movie screamed Star Wars to me. Cannot wait to see it again tomorrow afternoon.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
really? because in the movie i watched, Finn got his black ass beat down by a storm trooper with a cudgel literally 15 minutes before going 1 on 1 with a Sith.
Keg they connected the dots for you in the movie and you still couldn't grasp this shit. Let me break it down for you...

Obviously Finn knows how to handle weapons...how do we know this? He used to be a fucking stormtrooper, and fights another stormtrooper just like you keep pointing out.

Why the fuck do you keep claiming he "held his own" going 1v1 with Kylo? He landed one decent shot the entire fight, and ended up with holes all in him and his back sliced nearly in half...this while Kylo was fighting with a big fucking hole in his side from a weapon that was one shotting regular troopers. When you end up in a coma, you didn't hold your own.

When Rey picks up the saber, Kylo's taken a slash to his right shoulder and a Chewbacca bolt to the side. Kylo even makes it clear he's not even going for the kill mid way through the fight by stating flat out he wants to train her. He basically lost any edge he had against her after she bitch slapped his mental probe during the interrogation. He let his fear of her show when she had escaped and he told the trooper that every moment she's out with her powers she becomes more dangerous.

It's like listening to Astro ponder why corrupt cops might have a guy watching a likely exit.

Column_sl

shitlord
I just thought Rey was super force sensitive. She was being guided by the force the whole time, and everything that surrounded her was like a dampner for other force users.

I'm making this shit up of course, but that is what I'm going with. ;P

If I had to nitpick anything in the movie, I really didn't like that we found out so fast Ren was Solo's son, and Phasma was an idiot.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I'm kind of surprised at the amount of people who don't seem to understand that Rey was one of the trainees with Luke when Kylo went on the killing spree. The flashbacks/visions she had all were specific to her. She saw herself in front of the Knights of Ren, being given away as a 5 year old, and even herself in the forest which became the setting for the final lightsaber fight. I feel like this was spelled out pretty clearly throughout the movie. Everything that happened between her and Kylo was the force awakening in her.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I liked the movie but hated the whole starkiller thing.
How the hell did the withering empire/first order build that planet-sized laser of death? Answer: ???

How the hell does the laser divides itself into smaller lasers that then are redirected by the sphere things (and what are those things?)? Answer: ???

Billions and billions of people die in an instant. I cared about Alderaan before it was blown to smitherens because we get to know it was Leia's home-planet, and because we know it was a beautiful one. But who were those people killed by the starkiller laser? The names of the planets? Answer: ???

How the fuck is the starkiller "base" (starkiller planet, that is) even supposed to move - and even function - once it's star is gone? Do you throw the whole feckin PLANET in an hyperspace jump towards another star? Answer: ???

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie. I'm just annoyed by the lack of exposition about the whole starkiller/first order stuff