Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Leon

<Silver Donator>
The major thing that bugged me was the planet weapon that was powered by suns. Maybe it's been mentioned and answered....but how many suns were in that system? If it took a whole sun to power one shot, was there two suns originally? What wtf were they going to do after that second shot? Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a two shot weapon.

Also Brienne of Darth bringing down the shields bugged me too. She's supposed to be a higher up for the troopers, yet it took 3 seconds of threatening her to bring down the shield that would destroy the biggest weapon the galaxy had ever seen....also, there's no checks and balances for that? No approval needed from the control room/command center? She was in some random area with a computer and with no issues and a few button pushes she was able to disable their main defense? Seems a bit odd to me I guess.
I think they mentionned the planetweaponthing can travel at light speed (could be wrong, but pretty sure they mention it) which would make it able to travel from system to sytem.

The Phasme thing bothered me too ....she should have told them to fuck off.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I think they mentionned the planetweaponthing can travel at light speed (could be wrong, but pretty sure they mention it) which would make it able to travel from system to sytem.
If this is true, I'd love some verification on it because it would pretty much solve my largest issue I have with the movie....nevermind the fact of how they would get a planet to travel at light speed...lol

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I thought even when she was lowering the shield she was basically convinced they had no chance, so she felt like they were going to get crushed anyways even if they could launch an attack.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I thought even when she was lowering the shield she was basically convinced they had no chance, so she felt like they were going to get crushed anyways even if they could launch an attack.
Yeah she was overconfident, she even said flat out "You still have no chance" or something to that effect. She presumed, as they did in ANH, that the "death star" was invulnerable.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That doesn't get around the fact that one person at a random computer terminal was capable of disabling their planetary shields with zero checks and balances and zero process and procedures involved. She's just a trooper commander.

Also? Why were their no patrols in the room where Han and Chewie were placing charges? You'd think with an attack going on they would have been on high alert, espically since they came through a fairly large door. These are the same guys that have a 1000 troops jogging randomly in formations through a hanger whenever you see a whip land...yet can't spare a few people for defending key points during an attack?

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
That doesn't get around the fact that one person at a random computer terminal was capable of disabling their planetary shields with zero checks and balances and zero process and procedures involved. She's just a trooper commander.

Also? Why were their no patrols in the room where Han and Chewie were placing charges? You'd think with an attack going on they would have been on high alert, espically since they came through a fairly large door. These are the same guys that have a 1000 troops jogging randomly in formations through a hanger whenever you see a whip land...yet can't spare a few people for defending key points during an attack?
Technically it wasn't a key point, because those x-wings weren't doing jack shit to the outside of it. Only after Han and Chewie blew a giant hole in it was the resistance able to bring it down, and even then it was only because Poe was a bad ass pilot who could fly through the hole and fuck shit up from the inside.

I think it was a good take on the whole "covert ops team". Think about it, when the shields dropped all of a sudden there were some x-wings attacking, then they got word from WHERE the shields went down, and Hux sent stormtroopers there (and by the time they got there, they had already planted most of the bombs)...of course Kylo could sense it was his father, so he went too.

It honestly could have been a 3 part movie, a lot of it DID feel really rushed, but I think it still ended up coming out great.

spronk

FPS noob
I think neogaf would enjoy a post about how Captain Phasma is an allegory for President Hillary Clinton

it woulda been nice to carry the super death star from this movie to the next, like maybe their plans disable the weapon for a few weeks but not blow up the planet

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Technically it wasn't a key point, because those x-wings weren't doing jack shit to the outside of it. Only after Han and Chewie blew a giant hole in it was the resistance able to bring it down, and even then it was only because Poe was a bad ass pilot who could fly through the hole and fuck shit up from the inside.

I think it was a good take on the whole "covert ops team". Think about it, when the shields dropped all of a sudden there were some x-wings attacking, then they got word from WHERE the shields went down, and Hux sent stormtroopers there (and by the time they got there, they had already planted most of the bombs)...of course Kylo could sense it was his father, so he went too.

It honestly could have been a 3 part movie, a lot of it DID feel really rushed, but I think it still ended up coming out great.
Wasn't a key point? It was the area they were attacking from the outside. When the hole appeared he flew in and destroyed it. Also, there were large hanger doors so troops would logically be placed there. At some point they knew their shields were brought down...so they had to know rebels were on the ground...yet, no heightened patrols from that either? Come on now.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm with you Tarrant... I was also really annoyed by the shields being taken down so easily.

Are there a lot of instances of people's minds being wiped in Star Wars universe? That just seems awfully convenient to feed all of these theories which is why I don't really buy it.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Wasn't a key point? It was the area they were attacking from the outside. When the hole appeared he flew in and destroyed it. Also, there were large hanger doors so troops would logically be placed there. At some point they knew their shields were brought down...so they had to know rebels were on the ground...yet, no heightened patrols from that either? Come on now.
Sure, the shields are taken down a little bit too easily. Just like Obi-Wan deactivating the Death Star tractor beam did not seem strange to any control room in the station, or even the fact that the beam can be turned off by deactivating only one of seven points. This is the same universe where OSHA will never exist because everyone is seemingly okay with impossibly high and narrow bridges with NO railings. It's Star fucking Wars, and the low security and easily explodable super weapons are all part of it, shit is like James Bond's vodka martini.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm with you Tarrant... I was also really annoyed by the shields being taken down so easily.

Are there a lot of instances of people's minds being wiped in Star Wars universe? That just seems awfully convenient to feed all of these theories which is why I don't really buy it.
The mind wiping actually makes a lot of sense. The dark side would have been looking for any force attuned people, either to convert or destroy. I presume one way to hide from the dark side would be to wipe the memory of any training or understanding of the force. If a person does not attempt to attune to the force, then it probably makes it much more difficult to track. It does not happen often because it has not always been necessary to hide. This also had the added bonus of saving a daughter from certain death if caught earlier in life.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The Force works in mysterious ways or some shit.

I donno, I think it was good they minimized the boring stuff - like shield takedowns and politics. More time for character development and action.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The mind wiping actually makes a lot of sense. The dark side would have been looking for any force attuned people, either to convert or destroy. I presume one way to hide from the dark side would be to wipe the memory of any training or understanding of the force. If a person does not attempt to attune to the force, then it probably makes it much more difficult to track. It does not happen often because it has not always been necessary to hide. This also had the added bonus of saving a daughter from certain death if caught earlier in life.
So you're saying there is a precedent for this in the OT?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Justifying a shitty plot hole with another isnt a good excuse either.

I loved the movie, but there were defiantly moments, like this one, where I had to shut my brain off. If it were any other franchise a lot of others would be ripping this plot point apart. And if history is any indicator, the longer this thread goes, the more it will be in due time. I'll just chime in then I suppose.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Did anyone else have to sit through 20 minutes of commercials then previews then another 5 minutes of commercials?

Getting really tired of that shit.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Commercials before the movie sure. That's what you get when you show up 30 minutes before the movie actually starts. Once the movie "start time" hit it was just a bunch of silence your phones, if you see something say something, and then a bunch of comic book movie trailers. And the Harry Potter trailer.