Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Saw it yesterday.. A solid 7/10 but I feel that despite the movies length, it had a rushed and "chopped together" feel, as if a whole bunch of scenes were strung together missing context or narrative. It screamed "missing backstory" to me a lot of the time, as well as copying a lot of ideas from the original movies. For lack of a better term, it just felt "soulless" and didn't demand any emotion from me-- it was just entertainment.. They did very little to build any emotional investment in the characters.. It needed a little more drama and character interaction, and less action. I did feel the action was well done though, and didn't suffer from CGI overload where you can't keep up with what's going on the screen.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Alamo was playing vintage Star Wars toy commercials and clips of Star Wars cameos on other shows from the 70's and 80's.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well...let's nitpick the other Star Wars movies and find stupid and dumb decisions/situations?
smile.png

Even with all those things, still is the best saga ever.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
They seemed endless at my showing. I think we saw a preview for every movie coming out in the next 10 years. Even the audience started laughing after a while.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
Probably because intelligent people are capable of enjoying something while still pointing out flaws. We get you can't, and it's okay.
"That doesn't get around the fact that one person at a random computer terminal was capable of disabling their planetary shields with zero checks and balances and zero process and procedures involved. She's just a trooper commander."

You would probably also wonder why they don't have CCTV, when they can harness the power of the sun, yet rely on roving bands of storm troopers, still doesn't change the entertainment value. Does it bother you that the blasters shoot red and blue too??

ohkcrlho

I just thank god it didn't have stupid, dull and annoying shit like the prequels.....at all

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
"That doesn't get around the fact that one person at a random computer terminal was capable of disabling their planetary shields with zero checks and balances and zero process and procedures involved. She's just a trooper commander."

You would probably also wonder why they don't have CCTV, when they can harness the power of the sun, yet rely on roving bands of storm troopers, still doesn't change the entertainment value. Does it bother you that the blasters shoot red and blue too??
They have sensors, which are more efficient than cctv.

Look, you can white knight stupid shit all you want, it won't change it from being stupid shit though.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Tarrant, seriously go back and rewatch the originals with a critical eye. You are being a joyless twat and Misting up this thread.

Anyhow, I went in with really low expectations, lowered by freshly watching RotJ and noticing how dumb parts of that movie were. I was very pleasantly surprised and felt they hit the perfect mark with this. I have to watch Empire again, but right now I feel that this is the second best Star Wars movie made, which just proves that anyone other than Lucas can do better with his ideas, since Empire was other people's work too. My only real gripe is that I wanted a more fleshed out explanation of the history leading up to the movie, as in why if the Republic is in control is there a "Resistance" ? But I get the feeling Disney will want to milk this with a bunch of tie in cartoons, clone wars style.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
"Dude the original had shitty plot holes too so it's okay this did."

Again, using shitty plot holes to defend others isn't a good excuse.

I loved the movie, it's just that one thing annoyed me. If it didn't you that's fine, but if you wanna be a douche canoe to me because I did find it dumb then go fuck yourself. -shrug-

ohkcrlho

Oh another thing: hope the writers really try not to fall into the mistake of making Rey's character connected to the Skywalker family. There is an infinite Universe and the Force only revolves around one family?!?!? Then it's all about the same characters, making a small and closed circle.

Column_sl

shitlord
Oh another thing: hope the writers really try not to fall into the mistake of making Rey's character connected to the Skywalker family. There is an infinite Universe and the Force only revolves around one family?!?!? Then it's all about the same characters, making a small and closed circle.
There was only 2 Jedis in ROTJ. I'm not sure where all these other jedis started popping up for Kylo Ren to kill.

Be funny if they made Obi Wan some womanizer , and he had tons of kids across the galaxy with Rey being his grand daughter.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
There was only 2 Jedis in ROTJ. I'm not sure where all these other jedis started popping up for Kylo Ren to kill.
Didn't they say Luke took on a group of apprentices?

I think many forget Luke got almost no training himself, so it's no wonder he failed on his first attempt in trying to take someone people on and teach them.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Commercials before the movie sure. That's what you get when you show up 30 minutes before the movie actually starts. Once the movie "start time" hit it was just a bunch of silence your phones, if you see something say something, and then a bunch of comic book movie trailers. And the Harry Potter trailer.
No, the commercials were after the movie's start time

Jive Turkey

Karen
This is the question I was trying to ask because yes it just seems awfully convenient to start going, oh yeah mind wipe like it's super common.
What else would you gather from the visions she had though? And the vision of her being left on Jakku seems weirdly out of place otherwise. "Hey, here are a bunch of premonitions and past events of force training that you have no recollection of.... oh, and remember when your family left you in the desert?". The fact it was included in the montage of events means that there's something significant about it

ohkcrlho

Didn't they say Luke took on a group of apprentices?

I think many forget Luke got almost no training himself, so it's no wonder he failed on his first attempt in trying to take someone people on and teach them.
Yup. He gathered a few people, with Force potential but in the end, failed to teach Ben (now kylo) how to control his powers and emotions .