Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Really, token?
rrr_img_122534.png

If you count the aliens, then Starwars is one of the most diverse franchises out there... otherwise, it's pretty glaring. Unless of course we are now to believe that all storm troopers are black, but then I think that would make things worse, actually probably way worse.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i thought finn said he was stolen from his family and forced into stormrooper school? which made me wonder why the other stormtroopers were so butthurt that he would leave.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Probably because as far as they were concerned he had joined the side that was fighting against them. He mowed down quite a few with the TIE gun making his escape and the one who called him traitor had just watched him run another trooper through with a lightsaber. Hard to be sympathetic with that.

Caliane

Brainwashed good. Phasma even said, Finn was scheduled for "reprocessing" after his behavior. Part of the brainwashing is almost certainly, "tolerate no deviance"

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
i thought finn said he was stolen from his family and forced into stormrooper school? which made me wonder why the other stormtroopers were so butthurt that he would leave.
Uh...all First Order stormtroopers are like that. Did you miss the part where Phasma said that was the first time he'd shown anything wrong with his conditioning? The other stormtroopers are all still brainwashed, of course they're butthurt at a traitor.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Uh...all First Order stormtroopers are like that. Did you miss the part where Phasma said that was the first time he'd shown anything wrong with his conditioning? The other stormtroopers are all still brainwashed, of course they're butthurt at a traitor.
ahh yeah, got it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You keep repeating this and it sounds dumber everytime. Makes me wonder if you even watched the prequels or this movie.

Watch that and drop this silliness pls.
Yep, exactly. Finn's character is almost that bad.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
we can only hope that jarjar was alive and still living in Coruscant when the Starkiller blew it to fucking smithereens.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Some people complain that there was a black lead at all. Since this kinda had a hint of racism, it seems that some of them have switched to complaining he is the token black guy. Of course, if there were multiple black guys they would complain they had ghettoized it or some such bullshit.

It is all bullcrap anyway. Finn's race has nothing to do with the movie and isn't mentioned or referenced at all. He could have been cast as any color and he would have been fine, but he did a good job in the role he was given. He was great in Attack the Block, which gave him a high profile at the right time, so it isn't like he was picked from nowhere. He auditioned for 7 months for the role before he got it. It is absurd to attack the guy.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
we can only hope that jarjar was alive and still living in Coruscant when the Starkiller blew it to fucking smithereens.
I'm sure you'll forget that quickly but it wasn't Coruscant, it was Hosnian Prime. After the New Republic was founded, they decided it was not fair for the Senate to always be established on a capital world, so it moves around every few years, and it was there at that time.

Column_sl

shitlord
Some people complain that there was a black lead at all. Since this kinda had a hint of racism, it seems that some of them have switched to complaining he is the token black guy. Of course, if there were multiple black guys they would complain they had ghettoized it or some such bullshit.

It is all bullcrap anyway. Finn's race has nothing to do with the movie and isn't mentioned or referenced at all. He could have been cast as any color and he would have been fine, but he did a good job in the role he was given. He was great in Attack the Block, which gave him a high profile at the right time, so it isn't like he was picked from nowhere. He auditioned for 7 months for the role before he got it. It is absurd to attack the guy.
Is he an actual lead tho, To me Rey is the lead on the protagonist side, and everyone else is supporting actors.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Is he an actual lead tho, To me Rey is the lead on the protagonist side, and everyone else is supporting actors.
I think its a bit mixed. Certainly Rey won the climactic battle at the end and had the ending scene, but Finn had at least as many lines and was integral to everything also.

Regardless, in either case his role is so strong that calling it a token is a fucking joke.