Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I guess I'm getting drawn into this after all. If you just need hydrogen and helium, it would presumably be a much simpler matter to siphon it off of gas giants rather than a star, so if they ever tried to expound on how Starkiller base worked, I assume it would indeed be somehow siphoning the 'energy' of the star, not just the raw elements.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
u7HcWOx.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Except that clearly doesn't happen, Chewie is pissed. Though it is odd the bowcaster suddenly shoots red now instead of green and stormtroopers get tossed 30 feet by being hit while he just kind of takes a small hit?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Except that clearly doesn't happen, Chewie is pissed. Though it is odd the bowcaster suddenly shoots red now instead of green and stormtroopers get tossed 30 feet by being hit while he just kind of takes a small hit?
It plays on what some were saying in this very thread when the conversation about Chewie's lack of rage at the death of Han, pointing out that he was probably torn between avenging his longtime partner and the Ben he had known from birth. Though I think within the story line Chewie had gone his own way when Han settled down to become a family man, so how well he actually knew Ben is questionable.

As for the bowcaster shot not blasting Ren off of the catwalk, they were always supposed to be less effective at longer ranges. They actually fire a physical projectile.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It plays on what some were saying in this very thread when the conversation about Chewie's lack of rage at the death of Han, pointing out that he was probably torn between avenging his longtime partner and the Ben he had known from birth. Though I think within the story line Chewie had gone his own way when Han settled down to become a family man, so how well he actually knew Ben is questionable.

As for the bowcaster shot not blasting Ren off of the catwalk, they were always supposed to be less effective at longer ranges. They actually fire a physical projectile.
Or, more likely, the script was written over a single weekend without any rewrites and no real thought was given to any of that whatsoever.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Or, more likely, the script was written over a single weekend without any rewrites and no real thought was given to any of that whatsoever.
not quite the single rough draft written on a napkin by lucas of the prequels, but nearly as bad.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Starkiller Base - Wookieepedia - Wikia

Here is the mumbo jumbo science that explains it.
The weapon ran on a type of dark energy called "quintessence", which was ubiquitous in the universe, and offered a practically unlimited power source to the First Order. Using a star as a power source, an array of collectors on one side of the planet would gather dark energy in stages, redirecting it to the planetary core, where it was held in place by the natural magnetic field of the planet, as well as an artificial containment field maintained by the machinery the First Order had installed within the crust. As the planetary magnetic field would not be enough to contain the amount of energy that the weapon required, a thermal oscillator[4] was built into the planet. It generated an oscillating containment field which allowed the installation to expend considerably less energy at containing the dark energy than would be required using a steady containment field. A colossal hollow cylinder, large enough to dominate the view of the planet from orbit, penetrated the containment field to a predetermined distance, in order to direct the blast towards its target, and also to absorb its energy, which would otherwise cause catastrophic groundquakes. This design made the weapon vulnerable when it was fully charged, as the destruction of the containment field oscillator the moment before the weapon fired would release the accumulated energy not through the firing cylinder, but throughout the planetary core where it was being held, leading to the gradual collapse of the surface into the core
Soo, Magic. Got it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Imagine it's a big lightsaber that's battery was a nearby sun. There. Now it's just as dumb as everything else already in Star Wars.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I haven't really commented on this movie in here because I'm not a huge Star Wars franchise fan and definitely not in tune with the overarching universe but the mental gymnastics some of you are performing to justify this boring, uninspired movie is staggering. There is no plot or character development and it is literally a giant sci fi trope. Finn is almost as bad as fucking Jar Jar. I feel like Kevin Hart wrote that entire character and then trained him on how to act it. "Hey you ever seen Ride Along? Just say shit like that and flare your nostrils when you mad". This movie is almost as bad as the prequels which is saying something.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
In a few years when the nostalgia wears off we'll be able to have a legitimate discussion of this mediocre film, opinions will magically change (just like they did with Phantom Menace et al), cementing it's place just above the prequels in order of shittiness.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
In a few years when the nostalgia wears off we'll be able to have a legitimate discussion of this mediocre film, opinions will magically change (just like they did with Phantom Menace et al), cementing it's place just above the prequels in order of shittiness.
oh come on, there wasn't anything jarjar bad in this movie. It didn't embarass itself at least and that's good enough for me. Not a big fan of Finn, but he wasn't too distracting. What distracted me was Ren's actual face, dude looks like either Trent reznor or young Snape and him going all Dark Helmet to sound more intimidating made me laugh a few times. It's a good movie that delivered. That's amazing considering where this franchise was before Abrams took it.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
exactly what i'm talking about. Good enough to be not utter shit somehow magically becomes "good"? No, it's mediocre at best. Just because the prequels were such garbage that a mediocre film is refreshing in comparison doesn't mean mediocre = good, nor does it excuse the slob job people are giving this shit.

What do libtards call it? being on the right side of history? Yeah. In a few years when this movie gets the panning it rightfully deserves all of you faggots will be talking shit about it, exactly like what happened with the prequels. But unlike when those turds released the internet is universally available and archiving exists now to document your flip flopping when it becomes fashionable to do so.

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
For me the best thing I can say about this movie was the fact it did not have a character as bad as Jar Jar in it. And that is the most positive I can get about it.

I honestly felt like I had already watched that movie ... but in in bits and pieces across all the previous movies...

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In a few years there will be two or three more movies. This is the Marvel Cinematic Universe...Star Wars edition. I'm perfectly OK with that, its what SW is anyway. Its not some sacrosanct pedestalized high art in anyone's mind except uber dorks like us. Its a big dumb tentpole space fantasy movie franchise that gets pre-pubescent boys excited to ask for xmas and birthday presents. Get over yourself.