Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Luke fits it better, or maybe anakin finnaky fulfills it when he thows off the emperor's yoke and kills him at the end of return. But since it looks like no one "destroyed" the sith.... Prophecy is probably just retarded shit like Gavin said.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Fuck, I have that book. It's sitting on my desk right now. Must have missed the prophecy or forgotten it.

Luke did destroy the sith in the EU lore better than palpatine destroyed the Jedi. Just because someone else found the sith teachings and resurrected it doesn't mean it wasn't destroyed. Except for the lost planet of sith, but they were a different story.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The sith teachings weren't lost. Palpatine may not have taken Lumiya as an apprentice, but she was tutored by both Palpatine and Vader, so the Order of the Sith Lords may have hiccuped with Palpatine and Vader's deaths above Endor, but it endured with Darth Lumiya. She took two apprentices, both of whom died, before she began working with Vergere to turn Jacen Solo to the dark side. The Order of the Sith Lords and the philosophy of the rule of two was not broken until Jaina killed Darth Caedus and Ben turned his apprentice Tahiri back from the dark side.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just like any good prophecy, you can find multiple ways it was fulfilled if you look.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I always assume anakin fulfilled the prophecy when he takes out palpatine. Thats when he finally brings balance to the force. But no clue.

I mean with or without Anakin, sidious would have still taken power and ended up emperor. He would have just gone down a different path and maybe still be kicking.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
They did say the Knights of Ren aren't Sith, just a different dark side order.

Which of course can be a total lie.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
I always assume anakin fulfilled the prophecy when he takes out palpatine. Thats when he finally brings balance to the force. But no clue.

I mean with or without Anakin, sidious would have still taken power and ended up emperor. He would have just gone down a different path and maybe still be kicking.
I don't think you can say that he fulfilled the prophecy because if it wasn't for Luke, Vader wouldn't have turned away from the Dark side and wouldn't have destroyed the Emperor. Luke was the catalyst for that.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
They did say the Knights of Ren aren't Sith, just a different dark side order.

Which of course can be a total lie.
I always favored the idea that there are other force users out there beside the Jedi and Sith. I mean, obviously those two factions are the main ones, but the Witches of Dathomir for instance use the dark side of the force to power their "magic" but are not affiliated with the sith. I'm sure there are tons of tribal shamans or stuff in backwater planets in the Star Wars galaxy that have people who use the light or dark side without really knowing about those two specific philosophies...

Plus, you have to take into consideration that the Sith are only ancient in the Expanded Universe.. in the movies, which is basically the only canon stuff left with Clone Wars / Rebels, the Jedi are ancient (thousand generations), but the Sith could be a rogue branch or a splinter group that went to the dark side a few centuries ago, we are never told clearly in the movies... so for all we know, those Knights of Ren could be older than the Sith, and just now resurfacing since the Sith have left a vacuum of power.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Sith are only one specific philosophy of Dark Side use, granted the most aggressive and dominant one. Hell, the Order of the Sith Lords, meaning the people who followed after Darth Bane imposed the Rule of Two, were just one specific Sith philosophy. The Order of the Sith Lords replaced the Brotherhood of Darkness, which itself replaced the New Sith Empire, and on and on and on back to the Great Hyperspace War. As you mentioned, the Witches of Dathomir were another force sensitive group that used the Dark Side, until they were wiped out between movies 2 and 3.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I always thought "balance" by virtue of eradicating both sides of the Force was something of a cop-out solution. Given that the Clone Wars series ARE canon the whole bit with the Father, Son and Daughter may provide some insight in that there really does need to be a middle ground between the dark and the light rather than people who reside at the polar opposites.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Obi-won has the MORAL high ground not an actual psychical one. When he says I have the high ground he means he is cool calm and collected as a jedi while anakin is raging hard over killing padme.

He knows that Anakin is doomed forever to a life of regret and torment for his actions.

I also just made this up.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Can't most of the plot/backstory conundrums be solved by uttering the phrase "Lucas was a shitty writer" ?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
anakin is raging hard over killing padme.
rrr_img_109693.jpg

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't think you can say that he fulfilled the prophecy because if it wasn't for Luke, Vader wouldn't have turned away from the Dark side and wouldn't have destroyed the Emperor. Luke was the catalyst for that.
Yeah, but it still happened. The prophecy was one of the few parts of the prequels that actually made sense. As others have said, even without Vader, the emperor would still have come to power, except now you wouldn't have Luke to destroy the Death Star, Princess Leia to lead unify/lead the rebels, nor Vader to kill the Emperor. (Long and short, it doesn't matter how it happens, just that it did...but in this case? Luke is a product of Anakin...so it still traces back to Anakin being trained, as he wouldn't have gotten with Padme without that.)

In the end it worked like most prophecies have in popular western Drama...Kind of like a careful what you wish for scenario. The prophecy is true but often in a totally unexpected and twisted way. (Its used in everything; check out Martin's writing, he loves that shit.)

Caliane

don't argue "the prophecy". it is so stupid and vague anything could be argued to fit its criteria.

"You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force. "
thats it. could be anything.
Yoda does say this,
"Fully defeated by just anyone, the dark side cannot be, but only by the Chosen One. And who might be this Jedi? Know I do not, but not yet born is he or she. This much, sense I can. A vessel of pure Force the Chosen One will be, more powerful than any Jedi in history"
But this is also just his interpretation of it.

All we know as viewers and in movie canon is, A chosen one is supposed to "bring balanced to the Force".
But this could mean again, anything. 10000 years of jedi dominance, and Sith supposed to be extinct.... Palp could be the chosen one. he is the most powerful.
palp is so powerful, hes dominating the minds of all the Jedi. ok, so maybe the dark side IS in control. So, Anakin is the Chosen one. he does kill Palp in the end...
Luke, battles with light and dark, and does get Dark to turn back. Balance sortof.. its Luke!

Lucas Says its Anakin.