Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I'm kind of surprised at the amount of people who don't seem to understand that Rey was one of the trainees with Luke when Kylo went on the killing spree. The flashbacks/visions she had all were specific to her. She saw herself in front of the Knights of Ren, being given away as a 5 year old, and even herself in the forest which became the setting for the final lightsaber fight. I feel like this was spelled out pretty clearly throughout the movie. Everything that happened between her and Kylo was the force awakening in her.
Sure we get that, I think everyone understood she had SOME training but to imply at that point she had learned how to influence minds, Force pull, lightsaber fight etc to the point where she could over power Kylo is a bit of a stretch.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Keg they connected the dots for you in the movie and you still couldn't grasp this shit. Let me break it down for you...

Obviously Finn knows how to handle weapons...how do we know this? He used to be a fucking stormtrooper, and fights another stormtrooper just like you keep pointing out.

Why the fuck do you keep claiming he "held his own" going 1v1 with Kylo? He landed one decent shot the entire fight, and ended up with holes all in him and his back sliced nearly in half...this while Kylo was fighting with a big fucking hole in his side from a weapon that was one shotting regular troopers. When you end up in a coma, you didn't hold your own.

When Rey picks up the saber, Kylo's taken a slash to his right shoulder and a Chewbacca bolt to the side. Kylo even makes it clear he's not even going for the kill mid way through the fight by stating flat out he wants to train her. He basically lost any edge he had against her after she bitch slapped his mental probe during the interrogation. He let his fear of her show when she had escaped and he told the trooper that every moment she's out with her powers she becomes more dangerous.

It's like listening to Astro ponder why corrupt cops might have a guy watching a likely exit.
lol so storm troopers are training with light sabers these days? what a joke. Finn shouldn't have been able to take two swings at Ren, he's a clown. the injury excuse is bullshit. if Ren was down an arm, that might mean something, but he's moving around just fine in the movie. the fight with the chick is just as bad. we see in the prequels just how much training and dedication it takes to become strong with the force. even Anakin gets his shit rocked when he fights Dooku after training for god knows how long under Obi Wan. Obi Wan get rekt by Maul when they went 1v1. this is some fucking Star Wars 7: Mulan edition shit.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm kind of surprised at the amount of people who don't seem to understand that Rey was one of the trainees with Luke when Kylo went on the killing spree. The flashbacks/visions she had all were specific to her. She saw herself in front of the Knights of Ren, being given away as a 5 year old, and even herself in the forest which became the setting for the final lightsaber fight. I feel like this was spelled out pretty clearly throughout the movie. Everything that happened between her and Kylo was the force awakening in her.
we get it shit head. it doesn't mean dick. Ren has still had far more training and experience with the force and lightsabers. it's a very weak cop out.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Keg seems to think Kylo was some badass Vader Sith Lord even though he got treated like a little bitch by everyone around him and threw a couple of temper tantrums.

The weapon that trooper had who fought Finn would seem to imply that yes, they do train against light sabers.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
if he's so weak, why does his Sith daddy have him in regard? we know he's the grandson of Vader, and he's been at least somewhat trained by Skywalker and this other Sith daddy. he's should have wiped the floor with that scrub trash then tea bagged their corpses.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Just saw it. Tamping my expectations down worked like a charm! I went in expectating an expertly-crafted reimagining of ANH and got the best soft reboot I could've possibly gotten. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just got home from the midnight showing. Theater was quiet and everyone was well behaved, a true movie experience. I saw it in 3d and thought the 3d part of it was done really well. Nothing was over the top and just added to the ambiance of the movie. Reclining seats, girlfriend in arms, 3d theater, damn good experience to start, even if the movie ended up sucking.

I'm going to try to go into all the little things I noticed and read other people mention and complain about.

The movie has plot holes. The movie has unrealistic events. The movie has a shit load of coincidences. IT'S STAR WARS, NO SHIT.

Main character breakdown-

Finn- Better than I expected simply because he knew he wasn't anything special and finished not being anything special. A storm trooper grunt that was raised as a grunt and nothing more. I liked his acting. Thought he did a good job with the comedy stuff. Was amusing to watch him get handled by Kylo. I saw a lot of complaints about romance between him and Rey. I saw no such romance. I saw a friendship that had a hug and a kiss on the forehead as she left and called him friend. I didn't see any googly eyes or anything to suggest they had hots for each other. Rey is going to train to become a jedi which means even less likely she will become romantic with him. Overall a decent character that could play a Han Solo sort of role.

Poe- Not a whole lot to say about him. His character is shallow and predictable. I thought it was admirable how he fought against Kylo while captured, but in the end he's just a talented fighter pilot with no backstory. Overall disappointed.

Rey- Rey is as I expected her. Reluctant and eventually awakening to the latent force power. I'm not sure what some people were expected that makes her blow them away with her performance. EVERYONE knew she was going to be the lead character and eventual jedi. I thought some of her scenes were very well done, mainly the Maz fortress and snow fight with Kylo. She did great as an actor but again I expected her to so this was not a surprise to me. I think the big surprise came to those who wrote her off. Overall just as good as I expected her to be.

Leia- Wow did she take a lot of criticize in the media and by fans. What the fuck did you guys want from her? I thought she did a very good job in the limited role she had. She was written to not move around so in every scene she's just standing still. She did a perfectly fine job of standing there and her facial emotions were spot on. The hate on her acting is WAY overboard. Overall she did a fine job and was believable in her role.

Han- He was better than I expected and used a shit load more than I expected. I was glad when he died cause holy shit can we get more of the new characters and less of the gray fox? I'd be curious as to what Han's face time was because it seemed like he was always on the screen from the time he was first introduced. Skip the jaku in the beginning and I'd say he might have more face time than Finn. Han was cool, made good jokes that weren't overly forced, good Easter eggs as well. He was the Han of old, just... well... old. Overall a nice job here, but was glad when he finally dropped to his doom.

Snoke- Seems like a bad ass, but clearly he has some over compensation issues. He is definitely not that large in person and using that to strike fear in people. I'd guess he is much more fragile and weak in appearance when we finally do get to see it. I would have liked to see more of him, but it's not as bad as Palpatine was when first introduced. Overall I think he's going to be the badass this series demands. No I don't think he's Plagueis.

Hux- I thought he was awesome. A true imperial in spirit. Looked the part and as the movie went on he just got more and more adolf which was awesome. I didn't see him as whiny or weak at all. He tried to undermine Kylo a few times to Snoke, but that's typical in that kind of situation. Hux is a normal human where Kylo is a force user that doesn't respect Hux. Overall thought he was perfect for the role and hope to see more of his asshole nature in the future.

Kylo- Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on his performance and his character overall. I loved him. He started off as a bad ass and as the movie went on you got to see his rage and inner divide. I don't think he acted emo, I think he acted with rage. The scene where he destroys the panel is fucking awesome. Darkside users are not supposed to be calm and collected, in that regard I think Vader was actually pretty poor as an actor. I really liked him with his helmet off as well. I think Driver did an amazing job of portraying a young man torn between the dark and light. 1 million times better than how Aniken was portrayed. I also love that they are developing a villain from the beginning and not just throwing him in there. We are getting to see the backstory of a villain right from the beginning of the series.

Now two of the scenes that people bitch about the most-

Hans death- I thought the scene was very well done. It showed that Ben was not completely lost to the dark side, but by killing his father would be fully turned. It was an emotional moment as Han tried to make amens for his past failings and his son saying yea, fuck you. I don't see how it mirrored Obi-wan much at all, other than people watching it happen. The entire scene was different with very different emotions. Chewy got pissed, not Rey. Thought the scene was great.

The final fight- Ok wtf... So many people hating on Kylo and how he got handled by Rey. Did these fucks even pay attention to the movie? Kylo was shot in the hip by the same blaster that killed three storm troopers at the same time back on the planet. Chewie's gun is no fucking joke and it hit him directly without him knowing it was coming. He was dripping blood in the snow for god's sake. Then he fights Finn and wrecks him, but took a blow to his shoulder. Now enters Rey to fight a Kylo who has two significant injuries and it clearly hurt while fighting. He beats Rey EVEN with the injuries until he decides he wants to try to turn her. I believe there is a history there and Kylo knows who she is. Quite possibly a jedi student that trained with him at Luke's temple. Either way, Kylo could have killed her, but let her stand there and channel the force. She awakens with new found talents directly from the force and possibly her memories. Yes she now defeats him pretty handedly, but remember- He was injured twice and taken completely by surprise when she awoken with new power. Bottom line is Kylo was stronger than her and would have raped her corn hole in an even fight. He made the typical bad guy mistakes and pushed himself too far and tried to turn her instead of killing her.

End of the movie was epic. Kylo is saved, Hux is saved, Phasma is saved, Snoke lives, can anyone say Empire (first order) strikes back? Add that to R2 finally waking up and showing them where Luke is... Rey gets there and Luke looks amazing. His eyes almost seemed to be glowing with power. He looked like a true bad ass and you couldn't even see his gut!

My review is almost all positive, but I don't see myself as a fan boi at all. I liked some parts of the prequels, but overall hated that they were part of the storyline. They would have been better as stand alone star wars movies with less important EU characters. The original trilogy was and still is epic. I actually rate them in this way-

ANH- 8/10
ESB- 9/10
ROJ- 8/10
PM- 4/10
CW- 5/10
ROS- 6/10
FA- 8/10

Good shit Disney, good shit JJ.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Deadline|Hollywood -Friday,11:55 PM: Industry analysts currently seeStar Wars: The Force Awakenswith an opening day record of $125M-$127M+ en route for an all-time opening of $251M-$255M, calculated from midnight tickets sales on both the east and west coast.

To put Fans'Force Awakens?opening in perspective, consider the following: Disney made $100M from the film in just 21 hours at 1PM PST; an amount that most successful tentpoles open to in a 3-day weekend. By Sunday,Force Awakenswill beat or come close to beating the entire domestic runs of the last two Hobbits which were released over the last two Decembers?The Desolation of Smaug($258.4M) andThe Battle of Five Armies($255.1M).

It tookJurassic Worldfive days to cross $250M. Domestic all-time grosserAvatarwhich opened during this frame back in 2009 to $77M and ended its stateside cume at $749.8M, took 12 days to clear $250M. However, that was during the pre-historic days of digital and 3D cinema. WhenAvataropened there were 3,100 RealD screens in the U.S./Canada, now there are 14,000 with the majority of them playingForce Awakens.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Kegkilla is a retard, he has clearly forgotten parts of the film.

I liked the parallels between the characters:
In ANH they show Luke's skills at the start, he can pilot speeders and shoot womprats. He uses those skills he is already competent with to blow up the Death Star at the end, Obiwan has to train him how to fight and he isn't great with it until future films.
With Rey they show that she can look after herself and use tech at the start. She uses those skills to fix the Millennium Falcon/climb through the Imperial Base and fight Kylo Ren. Kylo Ren accidentally shows her how to use Mind Trick when she has to mentally defend herself so ironically plays the Obi Wan role with her in a way.

The film doesn't hold your hand which I like, every detail to explain what happens is in the film but it's subtle.

Daestrom_sl

shitlord
My thoughts...

Pros:
Han Solo and death scene
Last 30ish minutes
Actor who played Rey
The new darth lord
Backstory on why Luke has gone hermit/the search for him.

Cons:
Way too much comic relief in first hour for my taste. Felt more like an action/comedy early on.
Using dialogue for info dumps instead of going for a slow burn/discovery/inferred. Those parts felt stilted.
Another death star invasion. Giant huge death star--0... small band of merry fleet pilots pulling off the improbable--3
Selling out the villain Kylo Ren so they can let you know just how badass our untrained Jedi lady is. *Resisting his mind meld deal, defeating him in combat, outsmarting him, etc* Think it would have played out better if Rey was the one almost killed/saved by cracking ground, then later episode when Luke has trained her she fares better.
Beasts on Han's ship insta-killing/eating gangsters, but some reason want to drag Fin off somewhere half way around the ship.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Addressing the Death Star story complaint...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm not sure why all the Death Star hate? That's the villain calling card in the Star Wars Universe.. to have a weapon so big and so strong to intimidate the entire universe into submission and their rule. Secondly, this is 1/3 of the movies. I felt JJ was pay homage to the originals by taking this angle. Now that it's destroyed... it's over I doubt now that the remaining two movies will be building an even bigger Death Star v4. Maybe if they do, we can complain. I can't think of a TV show and movie where a villain deviates very much from their plans. Usually their methods are their trademark and as stupid as it may be, to me that's just cinema. There's just not very much room to alter the formula in my opinion. I don't disagree with the complaint, I just don't see how you can expect much different

Fan Theory Discussion...
So I heard today that there's quite a bit of talk regarding the reference to the Clone Troopers. Let me see if I can get this right.... supposedly in Kylo Ren's discontent with Hux's troopers, he takes the jab about getting Clone Troopers (I heard that...) but the idea is Hux's army is a "one up" on the Clone Troopers as they are genetically modified or cloned from legendary fighter DNA.. not just some hired bounty hunter. Supposedly, Finn is somehow born from either Han or Lando's DNA. Captain Phasma may potentially be from BobaFett, and there are other examples to where Hux somehow raised an army by creating different troops with these different skills. I didn't see very much to this idea online but heard it after the showing and then again at work. Anyone hear of this theory? Seems a little farfetched..
Hux wanted an army that was loyal from birth. Storm troopers are no longer just clones; majority of the original clone troopers being dead or unable to perform. They're now mostly volunteers, but Hux's army differed in that he "hand picked" them based on their abilities.

Finn mentions he was taken as a child, and prior to joining the resistance was an exemplary trooper. His only lapses came from helping out his squad mates instead of solely focusing on his missions, which they saw as "weakness".

After you said this, I googled that theory but didn't find anything on it. I don't think the cadets are clones though.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, they definitely referenced Hux's stormtroopers being conditioned from birth. I also attribute this to why Rey was able to mind trick the soldier into freeing her. They're already extremely susceptible to mental compulsion, making it far easier for her than it might have been otherwise.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw it yesterday, 8.5 for me. Yes the movie is total fan service but I don't care. Thats what most fans wanted since the prequels and he delivered. I agree with the complaints about Phasma but I'm guessing she'll have a bigger role in the next movies. I love the Ren character, in many ways hes taking the same journey as Luke did (as jedi) to become a full on Sith. I expect the fight of all fights between him and Rey in episode 9. I agree with most everyone else, this is the movie everyone wanted the prequels to be. Its not better than empire but I'm not sure any movie is going to surpass that. I thought it was up there with RoTJ though.

ETA: The scene where the Falcon gets introduced was one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, they definitely referenced Hux's stormtroopers being conditioned from birth. I also attribute this to why Rey was able to mind trick the soldier into freeing her. They're already extremely susceptible to mental compulsion, making it far easier for her than it might have been otherwise.
On a random note, mentally tricked soldier was actually James Bond, go figure.