Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh and as far as predictions/theories, here's what I think:
1. Rey is Luke's daughter and was a jedi prodigy. Luke mem-wiped her. Possible he thought she was dead and someone else mem-wiped her. She is going to be awesome and won't turn to the dark side.

2. Luke better have a damn good excuse for bitching out for so long. I think it involves his baby momma getting killed by his student along with a bunch of other students. I think it should also involve him being on a quest to find some way to 'unfuck the force' or discover Jedi secrets to stop the dark side, possibly in the Jedi temple he's searching for.

3. Kylo is going to get some buffs from Snooki, but will need to kill Carrie Fischer's wooden acting to achieve his final form. No way Leia makes it out of the next movie. Kylo will eventually turn to the light side.

4. Poe/Finn are going to pal around and they'll find some way to differentiate them. They need to figure out what to do with Finn. Maybe they'll give him a reason to exist, or maybe they'll just have him drive the story as a damsel in distress. They could do it many different ways.

5. Whatever crap Snooki is trying to accomplish will be tied to whatever problems Luke is trying to solve. The First Order is just a means to an end for him.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
2. Luke better have a damn good excuse for bitching out for so long. I think it involves his baby momma getting killed by his student along with a bunch of other students. I think it should also involve him being on a quest to find some way to 'unfuck the force' or discover Jedi secrets to stop the dark side, possibly in the Jedi temple he's searching for.
Since the dark side always balances the light, what if Luke's thought is that by not training any more Jedi, he will prevent the rise of the dark side?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since the dark side always balances the light, what if Luke's thought is that by not training any more Jedi, he will prevent the rise of the dark side?
With that theory, why not just commit suicide and thus negate the force all together? While there is a balance, something tells me its not quite that easy.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
3. Kylo will eventually turn to the light side.
I hate this prediction, which so many seem to think will happen. I really hope it doesn't. A character that kills his own parents shouldn't be redeemed. Hopefully Snoke kills him and then Rey ends up killing Snoke.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Yet, even with all of these obvious ripoffs of the original movie, people are saying that it's every bit as good as the originals. People who are lauding over this movie are the same people who gushed all over "The Phantom Menace" when it came out, refusing to accept that it wasn't very good. I called it "Phantom Menace Syndrome" (or PMS). Basically, if you think this movie is anywhere near as good as any of the originals, you're on your period.
It's all relative. There are quite a few people who never saw the originals when they first came out. I know I didn't. I didn't really get around to seeing them until the mid/late 90's, and by then they were kind of old. I was never truly wowed by Star Wars like those who saw it in the theater for the first time. I could easily see this being the best Star Wars experience for people 35 and under.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Watched it for a second time and just a couple of thoughts....

Poe Dameron was re-introduced way to subtle. I think they "tried" when he flies through and blows up like 10 other ships and stuff but he gets a quick mugshot and Finn says, "That's one damn pilot" (or something like that) when I feel like he could have been much brought back into the movie much more climatic. I really think he's one of the best characters.

At the end, while Rey and Chewie fly towards the island, Chewie looks at Rey twice almost in a way that Chewie knows who she is and what is about to happen. Almost as if he's happy for her to make it back home or to be reunited with Luke. I think it is really intentional the Chewie looks at her a couple of times before they land. I felt the undertone that most of the old cast if not all of them knew Rey. When Han and Rey first meet, I think he really attempts to find out just how much she knows. No doubt Snoke and Ren know who she is... I think Snoke reference to the "awakening" is a direct reference to Rey, not just that the force has awoken in someone randomly.

I'm beginning to think Snoke is not Plagueis. I'm fully expecting to him to be a Yoda size figure and possibly someone Maz is/was affiliated. I'm going to go on a limb and say they are opposites and Maz just chose to walk away from the jedi path though she maintains her connection to the force. I think his massive hologram is a misdirection though it has been used before with the Emperor's head hologram.

I think it will come down to Luke vs Snoke, Rey vs Ren and Luke loses only for Rey to convince Ren to help her kill Snoke. I think it will bring the idea of sentiment (as referenced in this novel) being the downfall to the empire/first order again. May be cliche' but just seems to the story that fits the universe. It's fine with me, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, etc. all kinda follow the same pattern but that's just good vs evil. No use turning our nose up at it. I completely welcome something different but not going to be disappointed either.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

Check this out.... could be that a lot the theories did or do not have answers. Abrams could have possibly left some of this open for the future writers and directors so they could decide. However, Daisy Ridley has confirmed she's read the 8 script.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I agree and think his quest/disappearance is related to this balance nonsense.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lulz, old but I missed it
usa-today-star-wars-163656.jpg

Nester

Vyemm Raider
"Balance" to the force is my main quibble in the entire fucking series.

Anakin brings Balance to the force exactly as the prophecy says, but the Jedi are so fucking stupid that they can not see that it is way out of Balance in their favor. Balance can only hurt the Jedi

its 2 sith vs hundreds of Jedi, Balance has 2 options, peel that back to 2 jedi (done, yoda and ben) or create hundreds of sith, Nope, rule of 2.

Prophecy complete, force in balance starting at the end of Ep3. Yoda, why so blind?

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's all relative. There are quite a few people who never saw the originals when they first came out. I know I didn't. I didn't really get around to seeing them until the mid/late 90's, and by then they were kind of old. I was never truly wowed by Star Wars like those who saw it in the theater for the first time. I could easily see this being the best Star Wars experience for people 35 and under.
Yeah I posted my experience with 20-somethings from work earlier in the thread - forget comparisons between the movies, anybody who I've talked to who watched ANH recently for the first time as part of a binge or catch-up session leading up to TFA (and there's been a lot of that) has basically laughed at how bad that and the others were independent of anything else. They didn't even get the hype around ESB, which is lauded as a masterpiece by many around here (and still my favorite of all 7 so far).

They were bad movies, but they were genre defining and a cultural phenomenon, so they get a pass.

Sulrn

Deuces
Hoping this ties into the current derail.

So I have a single mother here that requested to borrow my blu ray set to get her kids ready to see TFA. I agreed and will be going by tonight to drop off the set, share a drink, catch up with the kids, and maybe stay and watch the first movie (ep4); but I found out that she (a self-described nerd with no justification for the moniker) let them watch ep 2/3(no ep1) last night. While I felt great anguish at this, I gave her benefit of the doubt and asked her if she was doing an abbreviated machete showing to get her kids ready to see the movie sooner. She had no clue about 4/5/2/3/6 or 2/3/6 (machete / abbreviated machete) and had no clue why anyone would watch the movies in any order but 1-6 or 4/5/6/1/2/3. I feel like there should be some penance for tarnishing these childrens' souls, but I yield to my ignorance and pose the question to the collective wisdom of the internet neckbeardiom.

How should I handle the situation?

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yet another reason millenials should thrown into the nearest ocean.
Fair enough, I manage a bunch of them and while they share a sense of entitlement and a bunch of other face-punchable traits, I did find it interesting that we generally loved Fury Road, Sicario etc. and also shit on the same movies, but had very different opinions on the original trilogy. And honestly, after re-watching them late last week, stuff like Luke's reaction to his dead aunt/uncle, Leia/Luke's interaction when he saves her from the detention center ... I mean, definitely not the way I want to remember them.

I'd like to think it's just aged poorly but I came away thinking everybody outside of Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness were just not good (or maybe sabotaged by Lucas' terrible writing - like Portman in the prequels).