Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Maul having instinctively assembled functional robot legs from the junk planet he landed on was a bit retarded, but his story gets better quickly.

I think you misspelled "Maul not being dead after being cut in half was completely retarded." I mean, if getting cut in half doesn't kill you (due to the force, I guess?) what do you have to do? Every force user needs a Rasputin level execution or they're not really dead?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Sidious vs Maul/Savage fight is worth suffering through the rest of the series

Yeah I love how Macho Man is just like 'wtf who is this geezer lets fuck him up' meanwhile Maul is like 'OH JESUS CHRIST WE ARE FUCKED'

I think you misspelled "Maul not being dead after being cut in half was completely retarded." I mean, if getting cut in half doesn't kill you (due to the force, I guess?) what do you have to do? Every force user needs a Rasputin level execution or they're not really dead?

zzzzzzzzz

The force is a giant deus ex machina, and Boba Fett escaped from the Sarlacc's mouth with his broken jetpack as soon as the camera moved away. Also, maul is a Zabrak/Human hybrid, so he can totally survive because of his magical hybrid anatomy.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
People get their legs blown off in war all the time. Obi Wan makes some comment about how he should have cut off Maul's head instead at some point.

• 1Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
People get their legs blown off in war all the time. Obi Wan makes some comment about how he should have cut off Maul's head instead at some point.

Wait, you think Rogue One was terrible, but you're ok with shit like Maul Lives?

giphy.gif

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No, Star Wars is a soap opera set in space with the backdrop of an intergalactic space war. The relationships between the characters are the heart of the story, not the war. ISo many people misunderstand this critical point.

To quote the great one:

Try rewatching the prequels keeping this in mind. When you look at them through the lens of a space opera rather than some sort of sci-fi documentary, all the overdramatic "cheesy" dialogue makes a lot more sense. This is the first step in reaching enlightenment and learning to appreciate them for the masterpieces they are.

Prequels! Prequels! You're right its soap opera but it also a war story.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Wait, you think Rogue One was terrible, but you're ok with shit like Maul Lives?

giphy.gif
Yes. It's not movie canon so I dont have any issue with them taking some liberties to make a bad ass story arc that doesn't contradict the movies in any way. Much less offensive than taking liberties with OT movie canon to make a boring movie that didn't need to exist in the first place.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes. It's not movie canon so I dont have any issue with them taking some liberties to make a bad ass story arc that doesn't contradict the movies in any way. Much less offensive than taking liberties with OT movie canon to make a boring movie that didn't need to exist in the first place.

Clone Wars and Rebels are both canon, unless by movie canon you literally mean only stuff that happens in the movies. There are some Rebels easter eggs in Rogue One, but I concede that's still a far cry from actually being part of the movie.

And I don't disagree with Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule that Maul surviving was absolutely fucking retarded. He didn't just have his legs chopped off, that lightsaber cut him in half at about the waist. But if the force can keep Leia from dying to a near miss from a capital class weapon emplacement and several minutes of vacuum and unshielded radiation exposure, I don't see why it couldn't keep a bisected dude alive. That being said, as retarded as his survival was it led to 4 excellent stories (2 in Clone Wars, 2 in Rebels) and 1 decent one (Son of Dathomir which was a graphic novel interpretation of a Clone Wars plotline that was left hanging when Disney pulled the plug on the show). So despite being really dumb, good things came out of him surviving.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
just to show how little I know about all this, I found out, literally less than a minute ago, that Rey is a woman. I thought Rey was the black dude. That is important information which you all must know

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Clone Wars and Rebels are both canon, unless by movie canon you literally mean only stuff that happens in the movies. There are some Rebels easter eggs in Rogue One, but I concede that's still a far cry from actually being part of the movie.

And I don't disagree with Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule that Maul surviving was absolutely fucking retarded. He didn't just have his legs chopped off, that lightsaber cut him in half at about the waist. But if the force can keep Leia from dying to a near miss from a capital class weapon emplacement and several minutes of vacuum and unshielded radiation exposure, I don't see why it couldn't keep a bisected dude alive. That being said, as retarded as his survival was it led to 4 excellent stories (2 in Clone Wars, 2 in Rebels) and 1 decent one (Son of Dathomir which was a graphic novel interpretation of a Clone Wars plotline that was left hanging when Disney pulled the plug on the show). So despite being really dumb, good things came out of him surviving.
Yeah I know they're considered Disney canon, I just consider them to be a different tier of canon from the films since they don't impact them in anyway, and actually contradict them in a few.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
and actually contradict them in a few.

The contradictions are mostly just causing various bits of movie dialogue to no longer make sense. Like "my power has doubled since the last time we fought Count" is clearly meant to be a reference to their fight in AotC when Dooku defeated him pretty easily. In Clone Wars, Anakin fights Dooku several times and iirc almost defeats him the last time they meet. So the correct response for Dooku should have been "Dude, what the fuck, we just fought like a week ago, there's no way your power has doubled".

On the other hand they went through some pretty funny writing gymnastics to keep Anakin and Grievous from meeting during Clone Wars, they were even dragged past one another during a prisoner exchange but Anakin couldn't see Grievous and Grievous couldn't see Anakin's face. So their 'I was expecting someone older/taller' quips at one another in RotS still work.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
In Clone Wars, Anakin fights Dooku several times and iirc almost defeats him the last time they meet. So the correct response for Dooku should have been "Dude, what the fuck, we just fought like a week ago, there's no way your power has doubled".
I like this response better:
wpryZGkXAfizwkkuDDKGqO06xHzKmmcBHnTeIT5iFws.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Ahsoka and Ventress were the best part of Clone Wars. Droid and Younglings adventures were trash. Decent show.

• 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Anybody notice Rey gained like 20 pounds from 7? You could see the fat bulging out around those arm sleeves she wears throughout the movie. Maybe it's part of the slow burn and shes related to the Hutts.

I thought she looked less asexual and that probably had something to do with it. Her face matured into something a bit more womanly in TLJ as well. She had occasional angles in TLJ where some might be tempted to apply the word "sexy", in a few sequences on Lukes Island-- a far cry from the stomach churning of her pubescent genderqueer appearance in TFA.

I could see her maybe kinda sorta kissing another guy in Episode 9. Rey is one of those late bloomers who might not be at her best until late 20's.

Progress!

Last edited:
  • 1Barf

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Anybody notice Rey gained like 20 pounds from 7? You could see the fat bulging out around those arm sleeves she wears throughout the movie. Maybe it's part of the slow burn and shes related to the Hutts.

I think some of it was that high collared outfit she was wearing. I thought she looked fatter in her face even at the end of TFA and attributed it to that costume. But maybe that was a reshot scene and Ridley had put on some weight since primary photography.

Ahsoka and Ventress were the best part of Clone Wars. Droid and Younglings adventures were trash. Decent show.

With people throwing out the bad parts of TCW I can't believe it took this long for someone to mention Gascon and the droids. Fuck me getting through those eps was torture.

And while we're talking about the cartoons I'll go ahead and plug Freemaker Adventures again. S1 is a good watch if you're capable of taking a step back laughing at the franchise a bit.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
With people throwing out the bad parts of TCW I can't believe it took this long for someone to mention Gascon and the droids. Fuck me getting through those eps was torture.

God forgive me but I actually like those episodes, and basically any time R2 gets to do silly bullshit without 3PO tagging along. My favorite thing about Chopper is the fact that Rebels didn't have a 3PO counterpart for so long, and when they did finally did pick up a protocol droid, AP-5 is a dry pessimist instead of an alarmist coward.

Incidentally, the dude who voices AP-5 also voiced the commander of the ship that received the death star plans in Rogue One, and the Resistance flagship in TLJ is named after him.

*edit*

And the more I think about that (The Rogue One nod) the more I realize what a fucking douche Rian Johnson is. He tosses in a subtle but fairly well written nod to Rogue One (Raddus sacrificed his ship to save the Rebellion, later the ship named after him is sacrificed to save the Resistance) while shitting all over the OT and Ep 7.

Last edited: