Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fanboys will always be fanboys, regardless of how shitty the product is.
Look at that SW reunion or whatever is called.
Mike from RLM said it best about this subject

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Let's step back for a moment here and say that Disney is over doing things right. I'm not going to get into financials because Disney is a bear and they have so many facets in which they pull money its hard to say who's over, under, and impacting the bottom line. If they would have gotten this movie right, they would have had a heck of a streak. Pixar probably gets 90% of their movies right. Marvel probably gets 90% of their movies right. LucasFilms have gotten 2 out of 3 tolerable but all have made some decent box office money. Granted they need to get Star Wars fixed and fast if they're going to maintain hype at the box office but outside of that, Infinity War and probably everything Pixar kicks out in the next couple of years are going to really kill it. This doesn't count stuff like Mary Poppins and their live-action remakes that are on the way (think Lion King and Dumbo?) which both will more than likely do well. I'm not saying this board is chastising Disney for ruining the movie world but i'm seeing/hearing it quite a bit. Everyone is acting like that because TLJ missed that Disney has ruined and has been ruining the movie universe.

It's true, TLJ has a lot of problems and someone has to take blame. Disney's name will be on the box when the Blu-ray comes out so sure, blame them ultimately. For the most part however, they've delivered a lot, and i'm saying a high percentage of stuff, that's been very good.

Just in case you're curious, here is how they are doing comparatively to everyone else. They have pretty well kicked everyone's butt the last couple of years so lets hope that Disney keeps their batting average up because we are getting more good than bad. It just really, really sucks that one of the most important franchises in their possession had to be one of the bad. It's actually frustrating to me they didn't take better care of it than that... especially which their parks going very heavily Star Wars next couple of years.

Highest-grossing films of 2017
Rank Title Distributor Worldwide gross
Beauty and the Beast Disney $1,263,521,126
2 Star Wars: The Last Jedi $1,237,997,584
3 The Fate of the Furious Universal $1,236,005,118
4 Despicable Me 3 $1,033,508,147
5 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony Pictures $880,166,924
6 Wolf Warrior 2 United Entertainment $870,325,439
7 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Disney $863,732,512
8 Thor: Ragnarok $850,546,163
9 Wonder Woman Warner Bros. $821,847,012
10 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Disney $794,861,794

Highest-grossing films of 2016
Rank Title Distributor Worldwide gross
Captain America: Civil War Disney $1,153,304,495
2 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $1,056,057,273
3 Finding Dory $1,028,570,889
4 Zootopia $1,023,784,195
5 The Jungle Book $966,550,600
6 The Secret Life of Pets Universal $875,457,937
7 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Warner Bros. $873,634,919
8 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them $814,037,575
9 Deadpool 20th Century Fox $783,112,979
10 Suicide Squad Warner Bros. $746,846,894

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It's true, TLJ has a lot of problems and someone has to take blame.

I'm gonna springboard off of this just to reiterate what I've been saying. I'm not suggesting that the performance of TLJ indicates everything is rosey for the franchise. I said the numbers so far can be broken down in certain ways to suggest it's under performing, usually through unrealistic comparisons to TFA. But the other side of that is that there are some ways to look at them to say there could be some signs for realistic concerns if you're Disney.

The movie opened up a lot like TFA and it's legs since the first couple of weeks have been almost identical to R1's ... until this weekend where they look to have started falling off faster. There is a measure of audience dissatisfaction though I would question it's size being comparable to how loud those who were dissatisfied are being about it. But it probably is having an effect on the box office.

The Chinese box office results clearly show there should be a longer term concern but it's more of a reflection of the franchise's failure to gain traction there with TFA and subsequently with R1. The Chinese audience took a couple of tastes and decided they by and large didn't like the flavor, which is showing with the current results. If the Chinese government ever relaxes some of their controls over the film market there then Disney is going to be looking at a situation where they're leaving a lot of money on the table every outing if they don't correct that.

And all of the noise is setting the stage for an ugly narrative coming out of Solo if it doesn't essentially overperform in a crowded summer market. You could already write a gloom and doom article for the results and wait to plug in the specific figures later. It's budget will probably rival TFA's (over $300M before incentives) but the chances are better than good it will have a box office comparable to AOTC.

Last edited:

ohkcrlho

I was thinking about this garbage and I realized something: this piece of shit movie tagline sort of is "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to." Right?
But it doesn't make any fucking sense.

1st You can't kill the past, you even can't change it. You can disregard it though (which eas what happened)
2nd you should not let it die or kill it. Remember the phrase "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." And this so accurate even today.
3rd this douchebag Rian Johnson showed us the symbolism of that idea: Luke dies, ackbar dies, "jedis must die herp derp", "lets forget jedi and sith and rebuild something new" BUT....he lets Leia live in the end looool
So.... kill all the characters which can be reprised afterwards but don't kill the character which the actress that gives life to it is already dead.

Holy fucking shit!!!! I hate this shit even more.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I don't think anyone is trying to make the point it isn't making money, and won't continue.

My point is that the people making these movies, don't like any of us. They actively want to undermine who we are as people, in reality, through messaging in a movie. And still chuckle fucks like my coworker went to see it several times.

If I want propaganda, I'll go looking for it.

"I hate you, you are shit and evil, give me your money". And the fucking clown shoes are going to do it. They will go see Solo three times, and then Ep9.

Grow some fucking balls, and at a minimum bootleg this shit instead of contributing 45$ to the same damn metrics you are arguing about.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I was thinking about this garbage and I realized something: this piece of shit movie tagline sort of is "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to." Right?

It's Kylo Ren's mantra. He's not being set up as an example to live by.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
But it doesn't make any fucking sense.

1st You can't kill the past, you even can't change it. You can disregard it though (which eas what happened)
2nd you should not let it die or kill it. Remember the phrase "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." And this so accurate even today.
3rd this douchebag Rian Johnson showed us the symbolism of that idea: Luke dies, ackbar dies, "jedis must die herp derp", "lets forget jedi and sith and rebuild something new" BUT....he lets Leia live in the end looool
So.... kill all the characters which can be reprised afterwards but don't kill the character which the actress that gives life to it is already dead.

Holy fucking shit!!!! I hate this shit even more.
let the past die... but we must not forget our history of white men oppressing minorities, so let's ruin this franchise with a cast of unlikable millennials more diverse than a united colors of benneton ad and portray all white men as evil.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I don't think anyone is trying to make the point it isn't making money, and won't continue.

My point is that the people making these movies, don't like any of us. They actively want to undermine who we are as people, in reality, through messaging in a movie. And still chuckle fucks like my coworker went to see it several times.

If I want propaganda, I'll go looking for it.

"I hate you, you are shit and evil, give me your money". And the fucking clown shoes are going to do it. They will go see Solo three times, and then Ep9.

Grow some fucking balls, and at a minimum bootleg this shit instead of contributing 45$ to the same damn metrics you are arguing about.

My point was more that I don't think Disney Corporate or whatever should get "too much" hate or blame for these poor choices. I think they trust Kathleen Kennedy who love Rian Johnson, who will probably get a few more chances but I have a little more faith in Disney to step in and probably even sooner than we think because their track record is more positive than good. I was just trying to say that Disney is getting a lot of things right, it just stinks that one of things that have went wrong unfortunately is one of the biggest films that needed to be right. Pixar puts out the Good Dinosaur and we can swallow that but Disney should have been much more protective with the Star Wars franchise and they better be all over Episode 9 and get plenty of screenings in before that crap goes release.

ohkcrlho

The good dinosaur was ONE bad stand-alone movie.
This shit is the 3rd movie , made by Disney,which is part of a saga.
Even the other 2 are not overall well received.

The whole problem is this:

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

ohkcrlho

I don't follow this channel but this was pretty great....and spot on

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
another thing i just realized i hate about the sequels: Rey holds the lightsaber with her hands separated like a fucking toddler holding a T-ball bat.

Rey-with-Lightsaber-627.jpg

Rey-Star-Wars-Jedi.png

what the fuck is that?

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
another thing i just realized i hate about the sequels: Rey holds the lightsaber with her hands separated like a fucking toddler holding a T-ball bat.

Rey-with-Lightsaber-627.jpg

Rey-Star-Wars-Jedi.png

what the fuck is that?
In Kendo you're supposed to hold a sword with your hands separated.
And likely she has smaller hands so you notice the separation more.
553d382ad58608f659cd2ed8f7164015--kendo-katana.jpg

So that's probably why.

It's not like they're really consistent with these things in the movies though.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Did you figure out the anti-bot answer? It stopped me after a few tries.
Yeah it was RJCTLJ I think. Makes no sense given the instructions but I would expect nothing less from the director of this movie.

• 3Worf

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Lol what? They should get 100% of the hate / blame.

Poor choice of words on my part... I even contradicted myself form an earlier post. They should get the blame but my intention was to say I don't think that Disney is incompetent and unable to deliver good movies. To refer to an earlier post, they do a lot more right than wrong. I was mainly addressing the hate that Disney is receiving that they cannot make good movies and they screw up everything they touch. Disney makes good stuff and I think they do have some pride in regards to their product.

You're right though. They should be held accountable and feel responsible for this.. as I said in the very same post, I hate that Disney was not more protective of this movie and as someone else mentioned, this is part of a major sage that has a long standing reputation. If they really needed to get some right, it was this movie and now, most of all the next. Screwing up 9 will doom any future Star Wars movie and hurt their investment into their parks in my opinion

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jive Turkey

Karen
As if anyone needed any more reason to hate Rose, it just occurred to me that her stopping Finn from sacrificing himself to save everyone directly led to Luke having to sacrifice himself to save everyone. Rose is responsible for Luke's death

• 2Worf
  • 1Like