Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Are you rey_is_love? If so what a glorious use of your time. This feels like old Keg, I miss old Keg.
yes it's me. i'm pretty sure the woman who responded insinuated she gets off reading erotic Star Wars fan fiction.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
another thing i just realized i hate about the sequels: Rey holds the lightsaber with her hands separated like a fucking toddler holding a T-ball bat.

Rey-with-Lightsaber-627.jpg

Rey-Star-Wars-Jedi.png

what the fuck is that?

She has tiny fucking hands, she can barely even close them around the hilt. And of all the autistic shit to bitch about, her grips? Really? It's a goddamn metal tube that can pop out a contained bolt of lightning on demand.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
they better be all over Episode 9 and get plenty of screenings in before that crap goes release.

Screenings to who exactly? I figured Lucas Film would at least use test audiences for testing of movie endings, but they don't test audience movies at all-- nevermind endings.

At best, the committee that voted on the screenplay sees it according to Royal. Or Kennedy and a few friends and producers who are already sanctimonious about the choices they have made.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Screenings to who exactly? I figured Lucas Film would at least use test audiences for testing of endings of movies, but they don't test audience. At best, the committee that voted on the screenplay sees it according to Royal. Or Kennedy and a few friends and producers who are already sanctimonious about the choices they have made.
Yea, millennials will eat eps9 up, they grew up with Ani, and think that the OT is just some old shit on VHS.

• 1Picard

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
She has tiny fucking hands, she can barely even close them around the hilt.

Yeah, it really is just that simple. She's grabbing it on either side of that big activation plate. That's Anakin's lightsaber made to fit his hands. And since keg brought it up, even his boi:

12b9ce254c01a288409dfbddfcd75ff0--star-wars-backgrounds-sith-lord.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yeah, it really is just that simple. She's grabbing it on either side of that big activation plate. That's Anakin's lightsaber made to fit his hands. And since keg brought it up, even his boi:

20e855de7ce7b5393d810939789e7f59.jpg
it would actually make sense to spread your hands in Anakin's situation here since he's trying to create leverage to push against Dooku. this is simple physics. swinging a lightsaber around with a spread grip makes as much sense as swinging a baseball bat with your hands spread across the bat.

see: non-retarded ways to hold a lightsaber:

4978516-padawanfight2.jpg

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
In Kendo you're supposed to hold a sword with your hands separated.
And likely she has smaller hands so you notice the separation more.
553d382ad58608f659cd2ed8f7164015--kendo-katana.jpg

So that's probably why.

It's not like they're really consistent with these things in the movies though.
this makes sense in Kendo because of the weight distribution of the weapon. better control can be obtained over the weapon with a spread grip since the weight is spread over the length of the weapon. but since a lightsaber is weightless other than the hilt, the same physics wouldn't apply.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
another thing i just realized i hate about the sequels: Rey holds the lightsaber with her hands separated like a fucking toddler holding a T-ball bat.

Rey-with-Lightsaber-627.jpg

Rey-Star-Wars-Jedi.png

what the fuck is that?
Looks like the same grip she uses for staff/bo which makes no sense

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Looks like the same grip she uses for staff/bo which makes no sense
it really doesn't. best lightsaber fighter in the galaxy has zero training and no fundamental understanding of how to hold a lightsaber. can't make this shit up.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
it would actually make sense to spread your hands in Anakin's situation here since he's trying to create leverage to push against Dooku.

Yup. And it also makes sense for that to be the default way of holding it if your hands were too small to grasp it over that plate and still be able to grip it tightly.

And the reality of it is when they designed the things for the first movie they were made more for looks than function. I don't know why because you can't see the details on the things the majority of the time anyway. But the actors all had to deal with that awkward design ever since. If you look at scenes with Ben and Luke using it they will sometimes have a spread grip around that plate themselves, even when they're not actively exerting leverage. But having larger hands they could naturally grip it more comfortably over it as well.

Most of the lightsabers that have been introduced since then don't have it. But Ridley is probably just used to holding one that way now because she had her hands spread when she grabbed Kylo's in TLJ and it doesn't have that type of plate on it either.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Comparing a sword, laser emitting or not, to a baseball bat is retarded. There's no hilt to a bat. And the function and use are entirely different. A bat is used and designed for smacking an object, a sword has to deal with counter action, maneuverability, and so many other things. A split grip on a bat doesn't make sense, since it's not having to counter another bat. Don't know why this is even being discussed.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
When Luke is smashing his saber against Vader, his grip is very close, like a bat or golf club. It clearly adds force, but does fuck all functionally against someone actively defending themselves.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also, it's crystal fucking clear from the way they behave throughout the movies that lightsaber blades are not weightless.

*edit*

And you know what? Go fucking kill yourself Keg. You managed to come up with an argument so goddamn bad that you actually made me speak up in defense of this abortion.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
This is the closest thing to an in-canon explanation as to why lightsabers don't act weightless.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
And the way he explains it to her is stupid too. It's obviously just not something they cared about in 1978, because the internet didn't exist yet so it wasn't possible enough for enough autism to be concentrated in one place for people to start nitpicking the physics of laser swords. Easiest to just handwave it away with some nonsense about how the containment field used to hold the plasma in place reacts with gravity increasing weight while the blade is activated, or some such shit.