Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Didn't he thank both of them at an awards show recently? (edit: maybe I should have actually read the article)
It's hilarious that the new one just looks like a younger version of the old one

Man knows what he likes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
I'll admit I'm a sucker for Star Wars legos, I just can't afford the nice sets. Still mad as fuck at myself for not getting the nice Imperial Shuttle set years ago before it went out of production.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I guess RJ doesn't watch Rebels.

And when they scrapped the old EU:

All other properties (with a few small exceptions) are now lumped together under a single banner known as Star Wars : Legends. Those exceptions seem to include the film’s novelisations (where they elaborate on things seen on screen), the official StarWars.com Data Bank (which replaces the old Data Bank website) and elements of the Jedi Path Manual.
Isn't that head bitch in charge or lore supposed to stop this shit from happening?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Isn't that head bitch in charge or lore supposed to stop this shit from happening?

I'm guessing the Lucas Film ethic under George and the Lucas Film ethic under Kathleen is entirely different in many ways, aside from a change in the chromosomes of the leadership.

The heiress of Disney pocketing 30 million in income from the tax cuts with none of it going to women's groups is just icing on that article by the Guardian. What a cool message delivered by White Slavers.

Last edited:

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

Stop what? Things from the EU material being adopted back into the current shows, books, and movies? That was the plan when all that stuff was given the Legends tag.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Stop what? Things from the EU material being adopted back into the current shows, books, and movies? That was the plan when all that stuff was given the Legends tag.

It's funny, people are up in arms about something from Legends making it in this movie, but are fine with Thrawn being brought into Rebels.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

It's funny, people are up in arms about something from Legends making it in this movie, but are fine with Thrawn being brought into Rebels.

And it's not even the first time it's shown back up in the new stuff. Again with Rebels, what Luke did is very similar to what happened between Yoda and Ezra in the jedi temple on Lothal. That may have been something specific to the temple since Yoda didn't die from it but it established that sort of thing being possible within the scope of the force in the new canon. And I believe that's how the whole Twitter dust up got started to begin with; people complaining that Luke's astral projection didn't belong in Star Wars because it was too wildly different from anything that previously existed.

Last edited:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They do have a valid point about the whole telekinetic business showing up in Empire though. While at this point its hard to conceive of Jedi who didn't move rocks around, it was a radical new power when seen in Empire. Then again we also saw Force Speed added in Phantom Menace and then essentially never seen again.

Royal

Then again we also saw Force Speed added in Phantom Menace and then essentially never seen again.

Supposedly it was in a scene that was cut from TLJ. The one with Rey running with the lightsaber lit and in hand. And there was a lot of telekinesis use in Empire beyond the rocks. Plus it had new abilities or the expansion of existing ones for Vader to.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
This movie sucked so hard. What a disappointment. Literally ruined my christmas. After seeing it I went home picked up all my presents under the tree, threw them in the pool and then proceeded to take my christmas tree to the fire pit and burn it.

Thanks disney.

Edit - Thanks too obama

Last edited:
  • 7Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Thought the general idea was to only bring what was considered "good" ideas from Legends but to separate most of that stuff because it was considered shitty. Thrawn was pretty much the one character/plot point from Legends that was universally liked.

• 1Like

Royal

Thought the general idea was to only bring what was considered "good" ideas from Legends but to separate most of that stuff because it was considered shitty. Thrawn was pretty much the one character/plot point from Legends that was universally liked.

Johnson wasn't getting flack for using a bad Legends concept but rather more of "Ha ha, that book isn't even canon anymore. Idiot.".

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Johnson wasn't getting flack for using a bad Legends concept but rather more of "Ha ha, that book isn't even canon anymore. Idiot.".

It was kind of a weird defense. I could even buy the "project yourself" Force power from Luke. The Matrix like slide out of the way I could have done without. But that "fight" and Luke's role in general during that part didn't bother me all that much.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Rian talks backlash, says trilogy writing process will not be changed by the reception of TLJ.

Rian Johnson Discusses The Last Jedi Backlash

The Last Jedi won’t be Johnson’s last foray into the Star Wars series. He’s currently crafting a brand-new Star Wars trilogy that takes place outside of the on-going Skywalker saga. The /Filmcast asked Johnson if the negative backlash to The Last Jedi will change the way he approaches his new trilogy, a question Johnson answers with a quick, succinct, “No, I don’t think so.”

The filmmaker adds, “I don’t even know what that kind of approach would be. You have a way that you tell stories…you just do that.”

But you have to be a great storyteller first.

Johnson’s final summation of the fan backlash. “There’s nothing I’ve read or seen that’s made me think, ‘Oh god, I did kind of mess that up, I would’ve done that differently if I could go back,'” he says. “I still genuinely believe in all the decisions I’ve made.”

He's bulletproof with Kennedy and he knows it. Because of the fact that the movie is pure Message. There is literally nobody at Disney that would touch him.

His trilogy is going forward with Rian in 100% absolute control of creative and screenplay. The problem with that? DCU makes better movies for the kind of movies Rian wants to make, so that's very unfortunate.

Its not about Star Wars anymore. Its about potentially very bad superhero action movies.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Thrawn and the Old Republic stuff are probably the only two universally liked stuff.

• 2Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
A good portion of the Expanded Universe was garbage. Mara Jade was cool and certain aspects of the Solo kids were interesting, but everything involving the Yuuzhan Vong was sado-masochist fan fic at best.

They do get to mine some of it for good ideas though, hence Thrawn, Tie Defenders, etc. showing up in Rebels.

I think one legitimate complaint about the Last Jedi is that the entire film takes place within days of the first film. It makes it very hard to have a proper capstone to the trilogy of trilogies with Episode IX without a huge time jump between VIII and IX, but that would completely throw off the pacing of the third trilogy.

Royal

It was kind of a weird defense. I could even buy the "project yourself" Force power from Luke. The Matrix like slide out of the way I could have done without.

I don't disagree with this. It's a matter of the specific execution not using the idea itself as an ability that a powerful force user is capable of. It's an extension of what Ben did in ANH when he made the stormtroopers think they heard something so he could slip away after deactivating the Death Star's tractor beam. It just advances it to include a visual component, across a great distance, and makes even another force sensitive prone to it's influence.

The specifics of the scene itself just shows another wrinkle in the whole "Luke problem" that they signed up for when they decided to include the OT heroes in the ST. How do you demonstrate the power that he has come to posses without him just taking over and relegating the new characters you're trying to transition towards to mere spectators in their own trilogy? Having him employ an illusion from afar isn't a bad idea provided they didn't make that ability too powerful going forward. If you do that by limiting it's use to a deception how do you then show Luke off without giving it away too soon?

I think a better use of the idea might have been to let the illusion become real enough to physically interact with Kylo for a very brief period of time, have a lightsaber battle between the two of them, and let Luke pushing it's use that far to have been what overexerted him to the point of death, if you're committed to him going out that way.

• 1Like