Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Ending would have been much better if Kylo was the one that lived at the end as much as I hate the character.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I just talked to a guy who went to DisneyWorld for the Xmas break. He and his kids planned out their Star Wars portion of the park well in advance. He said there were massive (MASSIVE) line-ups every day, and the app for getting into the Millennium Falcon ride was full up for the day in 3 FUCKING MINUTES after it opened for registration at 7 am. He DID say that the entire experience was incredibly immersive and done really well. His description of being on vacation and still having to get up at 6 am to start the day's planning and organization was pretty hilarious.

Gimme a beach any day. I will concede, however, that all three times I have been to DisneyWorld/Land I have had a fantastic time - as a child, young adult AND older man.

But I never thought about this side of it. The artistic failure of the last trilogy is incredibly painful to me. The lackluster toy sales amuses me, but I wonder if that isn't more of a function of how kids don't really play with toys these days like we did in the 70s and 80s. However, I had not considered the decades of massive ticket sales for amusement park rides and other tie-ins.

Let's face it - that $4 billion was a great investment and will most likely reap very good returns. It may have made a lot of my generation weep bitter nerd tears, but Disney is still going to make it's returns.

Given that the park is still new and that the second major ride just opened it was bound to be a bit of a clusterfuck over the holidays. I had friends go down there and they had the same fun of setting their alarm for 530am so they could be ready to book their "flight" on the ride but they said it was really good and enjoyed it and their little boy wants to go back "all the time" so seems like it did its job.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
So I just talked to a guy who went to DisneyWorld for the Xmas break. He and his kids planned out their Star Wars portion of the park well in advance. He said there were massive (MASSIVE) line-ups every day, and the app for getting into the Millennium Falcon ride was full up for the day in 3 FUCKING MINUTES after it opened for registration at 7 am. He DID say that the entire experience was incredibly immersive and done really well. His description of being on vacation and still having to get up at 6 am to start the day's planning and organization was pretty hilarious.

Gimme a beach any day. I will concede, however, that all three times I have been to DisneyWorld/Land I have had a fantastic time - as a child, young adult AND older man.

But I never thought about this side of it. The artistic failure of the last trilogy is incredibly painful to me. The lackluster toy sales amuses me, but I wonder if that isn't more of a function of how kids don't really play with toys these days like we did in the 70s and 80s. However, I had not considered the decades of massive ticket sales for amusement park rides and other tie-ins.

Let's face it - that $4 billion was a great investment and will most likely reap very good returns. It may have made a lot of my generation weep bitter nerd tears, but Disney is still going to make it's returns.
Took the family there for xmas. Yes we got up early for the new ride but it wasn't quite that bad. There were still afternoon boarding passes available 30 minutes after 7am opening. They advertise that they are "standby" and you might not get called but the real tickets were finished by lunch each day so thousands of standbys got in. The ride was kind of meh for me. It's basically an 8 person car driving through scenes. The scenes were really well done and driving thru the legs of AT-ATs and the star destroyer were cool but after riding it twice I was kind of like "been there done that." The queue for the ride was as cool as the ride itself which speaks for how average the "ride" part is (and yes, I did see the fat first order girl that was in some memes from opening day).
I enjoyed the Falcon ride better where you actually sit in the falcon cockpit and "fly" it like a flight simulator but I'm 100% sure my enjoyment was because the ride had nothing to do with the new movies. In any case, the star wars park was packed and the the amount of people walking out with $200 light sabers and $100 droids was impressive and the cantina where you could buy $15 alcohol always had a big line. They're making money at the park for sure.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh yeah forgot to add.. the knights of Ren. What the heck. They looked like bad cosplayer. They do jack shit the whole movie and they expect us to feel like kylo is in danger when he faces them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Given that the park is still new and that the second major ride just opened it was bound to be a bit of a clusterfuck over the holidays. I had friends go down there and they had the same fun of setting their alarm for 530am so they could be ready to book their "flight" on the ride but they said it was really good and enjoyed it and their little boy wants to go back "all the time" so seems like it did its job.

Which is really unfortunate that the brand has been damaged so badly. The park by all accounts is really well done and well-reviewed.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Analysts have started to acknowledge that without Christmas release, Rise would have been a disaster.

This movie is barely scraping by with a Christmas bow on it.

Current box office

1578520862746.png

Projection has it crossing 1b this Saturday after all these weeks.

The last weekend projection under-performed below both TLJ and Rogue One. So take a 1b projection with a grain of salt.

If the legs continue to give out, it may just only scrape 1b in the 4th week, not actually hit the 1.2b projected end run.

I still think some of these analysts are giving Disney too much benefit of the doubt. A 1.2b projected end run as of January 8th 2020 only makes sense if the movie is following the math.

It's not following the math. I looked over it myself and don't understand how a 1.2b end run happens unless the plan is to keep the movie in theaters for 7,8,9,10 weeks.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
This movie wasn't perfect and it won't make as much as the others, but saying a movie is a failure even when it breaks a billion is just dumb. 8 movies broke a billion last year. 6 were Disney films and the other 2 were Joker and Spider-man Far From Home. I am sure Disney is wiping their tears with hundos.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Analysts have started to acknowledge that without Christmas release, Rise would have been a disaster.

This movie is barely scraping by with a Christmas bow on it.

Current box office

View attachment 242121

Projection has it crossing 1b this Saturday after all these weeks.

The last weekend projection under-performed below both TLJ and Rogue One. So take a 1b projection with a grain of salt.

If the legs continue to give out, it may just only scrape 1b in the 4th week, not actually hit the 1.2b projected end run.

I still think some of these analysts are giving Disney too much benefit of the doubt. A 1.2b projected end run as of January 8th 2020 only makes sense if the movie is following the math.

It's not following the math. I looked over it myself and don't understand how a 1.2b end run happens unless the plan is to keep the movie in theaters for 7,8,9,10 weeks.

The funny thing is TLJ defenders use this performance to claim TLJ was just better and if they had made an actual sequel to that all would be well and refuse to accept that Last Jed is the reason both Solo and this did worse than they otherwise would have (completely separate from whether they were good or not).

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I enjoyed the movie, but I honestly think that of the 'modern' era Rogue One is the strongest film by a large margin.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
Two reasons for me.

First, there was real loss and sacrifice with the protagonists, which is something Disney movies in particular usually like to avoid. I liked that there was tension knowing shit would probably end badly.

Second, it contained the single purest Star Wars sequence since the OT:

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
It's literally the only "Star Wars" movie

Agreed, out of all of the movies made recently, it was incredible. From a cinematic stand point, the story being a no-strings attached and brief, and a powerful ending.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Lots of people seem to hate Rogue One on almost TLJ levels, I don't really get that. Yeah it doesn't really move the main storyline forward, but it did expand the universe out a bit and was a great movie, great actors, shot well, and didn't compromise on that ending.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I havent watched any sw movie since the force awakens. For me, Star wars is the first six movies, its dead now. Another franchise hollowed out and sacrificed on the sjw altar for money.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, the prequels were for sure not good, as has been stated at length. Another thing that kind of confuses me, a bunch of people seem to have given the prequels and Lucas in turn absolution for those movies. They were terrible movies. He made a ton of terrible decisions, wrote a terrible story and terrible dialogue.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Lots of people seem to hate Rogue One on almost TLJ levels, I don't really get that. Yeah it doesn't really move the main storyline forward, but it did expand the universe out a bit and was a great movie, great actors, shot well, and didn't compromise on that ending.
All the characters were shallow bordering on tropes. There was way too much fan service. The narrative expanded very little, especially when you realize that a lot of this was based on a few throwaway lines from the original movies.

Much like the Mandalorian, it's a passable heist movie getting a bump for not being as shitty as the rest. It's not as bad as TLJ, who's saying that?

• 6Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 7 users