Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I didnt realize someone reading this thread is still playing through the story ill post in spoilers as not to fuck you up bro.

about NG+
fuck me, I still have 4 temples undiscovered when it sends me into the last mission.....got super mad, Vlad won't talk to me, etc etc...

Then I realize I didn't add the last artifacts collected this universe into the Armillary before I started the Revelations quest, which seems to be the trigger/point of no return as far as collecting temples go. Once I added the artifacts my power page shows clear as day "4 undiscovered temples". Hopefully after I finish the buried temple and don't jump into the unity right away it will allow me to collect the last 4 powers before going to NG+2....i'd hate to have to do this 12 times vs 11...
No worries. I've been slow rolling what I guess is the last bits of the different quest lines and still exploring. Just building ships and taking it easy.

I'm probably at least play one NG+ kind of knowing what's going on and see what happens. I'll definitely go back and read the posts over the last handful of pages discussing the end content and new game shit once I finish it just to see what everyone's thoughts were.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I played quite a bit yesterday evening and finished Starseed, and was working on the MSQ. Got a quest to go back to the Eye which was weird but whatever, until I'm told to take gay cowboy with me on a mission.

Is this a point of no return? Is this what you mentioned Void Void ? I know they're having been a lot of spoilery discussions lately, and anytime I see something like that I just jump to the next page. Have an idea of what's going on but not how it's going to play out.

Just trying to enjoy the story, but working on that mission will it screw with the other things I'm still completing or playing through?
Sylas covered it in the spoilers, but to answer you without spoilers, yes that is what I was talking about, but no it won't ruin anything you are working on. Just make sure you save several times at the obvious decision-making spots and you'll be able to backtrack if you want to change your decisions at all, once you realize what they are.

For Sylas Sylas if you don't care about using console command, you can shore up those NG+ powers any time you want with those. I did that after finishing them all the first time and not wanting to do it again for 9 more runs. I feel like that isn't even cheating, it is just saving you a fuckload of pointless time, since there is virtually no risk in completing them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
oh bet yeah I should probably do that then. I didnt use any during base game or my first NG+ but i've been adding 1mil credits as soon as i start up each NG+ since just because i hate the starborn ship so i slap together a quick fighter out of the frontier every time.

I mean ill still wanna see all the alternate versions and end up in NG+10 but i'm totally down to skipping the temple runs every time...that part is such a bad game play loop.

Question for those of you who've played through at least once and pay attention to the lore...
What was obvious to me during the storyline but it seems that no major sites/guides/reviews/etc are picking up on, is the identify of the Hunter. I've only seen one lowly reddit post with maybe 3 replies and only a single poster who has put it together.

So help me out here, do you see what I see or am I taking crazy pills?

Every starfield site/wiki/whatever just refers to him as Father Aquilus, or a version of Father Aquilus who became "evil" after becoming starborn? This is literally ass backwards.
Father Aquilus is a version of the hunter who's gotten tired and given up the pursuit of the artifacts. He's settled down and started a new religion, universal sanctum or whatever.

The idea that father Aquilus is just an elderly priest who in one universe, one day decides to go artifact hunting and ends up becoming starborn and then eventually decides to become the hunter is demonstrably false. In every universe Father Aquilus is already a starborn, you learn this if you team up with the hunter and you undertake the quest he sends you on to kill his doppleganger in your universe. He flat out tells you he's a starborn and when you kill him he doesn't have a corpse, just a flash and you collect quantum juice.

founding a new religion is nothing new, a version of the hunter has done this many times throughout history, including founding house Varuun and the enlightened. The hunter is the pilgrim, he hid the path to finding the unity throughout the 3 religions versions of himself founded, which is why the Father Aquilus in your universe sends you on the pilgrimage a version of him undertook many many years ago to find the path to the unity.

The hunter's original identity is Victor Aiza, the NASA scientist who first interacted with/did research on the first original Artifact discovered on Mars 300 years earlier, in the 2050s. With the help of the artifact he invented the Gravity Drive, which inadvertently destroyed the Earth's magnetosphere and with it the atmosphere and made the Earth uninhabitable. After the advent of the grav drive and the impending doom of the earth, mankind was forced to rapidly evac from earth and thus began colonizing the stars, and he used the technology/research he did to track down all the other artifacts with similar signatures. He is the first person to collect the artifacts, form the armillary, enter the Unity, and to become Starborn.

We know this from 2 sources. First on the NASA mission you find all the recordings, and you learn that in your universe, Victor Aiza was given all all the technology/grav drive equations/manufacturing data/etc from a version of himself "from the future" who told him all about the drives, New Atlantis colony, mankind colonizing the stars, etc. He also told his past self about the fate of the Earth, that the grav drive testing would end up destroying the Earth. The Victor in your universe you are doing this mission in, decided to go ahead and make the Grav drive knowing that it would doom the earth. But he confessed to his girlfriend how he knew and what it would cost, and she guilted him, and this version of Victor ends up killing himself instead of leaving the planet. That is why the artifact is still locked in this facility on earth in your universe, Victor killed himself instead of taking it and forming the armillary.

Also, when you side with the hunter, you are teamed up going through anomalies on the final mission, and you see visions of your past (the mine, the fight with the collector dude) and you ask him what he sees when he goes through the anomalies, The Hunter tells you that he is older than you think he is, and that he sees visions of his past back on Earth. Since the only artifact that was in humanity's grasp while people still lived on Earth was the one locked away in a top secret super max research facility under NASA and Victor is the only person we know had access to it, performed research on it, experimented with it, etc then the hunter can only be Victor.

This explains why the hunter is so, well, fucking old. He was a research scientist in, probably his 30s or 40s back on Earth. After the advent of the grav drive, and the tech he had to search for them, it probably took him another 30 years to find them all as there wasn't convenient colonies plopped down everywhere for him to stop by and rest up.

So yes, the hunter is the first starborn and he has been groundhog's daying his reality for 300+ years. Versions of him have grown tired and settled down, founded religions to conquer the universe (varuun) or simply to make peace with it (universal sanctum) or just chill the fuck out (enlightened). He is responsible for the creation of the grav drive and colonization of the stars, but also the destruction of the earth. Some versions of himself couldn't live with that (suicide), and some could (became starborn).

he's done this so many times that, as time has gone on and with the formation of Constellation, the most efficient route to collecting the artifacts is to let Constellation collect most of them then just merc them and steal them off their corpses before they figure out what the artifacts really are. This typically leads to your death and results in your lover/friend in constellation becoming starborn, taking up the mantle of the Emissary and fighting against the hunter over and over and over again.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I thought the temples and associated quests were essentially the NG+ system. I lost interest with the temples and powers. Can I finish the base game and do NG+ without temples and those very dumb quests?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I thought the temples and associated quests were essentially the NG+ system. I lost interest with the temples and powers. Can I finish the base game and do NG+ without temples and those very dumb quests?
You still have to collect the artifacts, whether in the base game or NG+. On NG+ you can skip most of the quests that you do with characters leading up to the hunter invasion but you'll still have to retrieve artifacts from temples (edit: not temples, but random POI that have them). I believe you'll also have to do the MSQ quests that occur after the invasion.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
the temples just give you your powers. you don't have to do the temples in base or NG+, but you do have to collect 6 artifacts every NG+.
if you ignore the temples each NG+ can be knocked out in less than an hour. Thanks to Void's recommendation I just console command gave myself all the powers so I didnt have to do the temples every NG+, i left phased time alone so i could keep track of which NG+ I was on (that one you get at the very last temple every run)
head to lodge, skip MSQ
head to eye, get location of 6 random artifacts
collect 6 artifacts from 6 random mini-cave/complex/research facility/mining op
return to lodge, collect the remaining artifacts Constellation gathered while you were out
go to meet hunter/emissary, pick a side (or fight them both)
go to the buried temple, space fight against starborn (only reason you need a better ship)
land, fight through 4 areas against starborn/mercs/robots/duplicates
final confrontation fight/persuade person(s) you did not side with to hand over their artifacts
finish armillary, go to unity

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
oh bet yeah I should probably do that then. I didnt use any during base game or my first NG+ but i've been adding 1mil credits as soon as i start up each NG+ since just because i hate the starborn ship so i slap together a quick fighter out of the frontier every time.

I mean ill still wanna see all the alternate versions and end up in NG+10 but i'm totally down to skipping the temple runs every time...that part is such a bad game play loop.

Question for those of you who've played through at least once and pay attention to the lore...
What was obvious to me during the storyline but it seems that no major sites/guides/reviews/etc are picking up on, is the identify of the Hunter. I've only seen one lowly reddit post with maybe 3 replies and only a single poster who has put it together.

So help me out here, do you see what I see or am I taking crazy pills?

Every starfield site/wiki/whatever just refers to him as Father Aquilus, or a version of Father Aquilus who became "evil" after becoming starborn? This is literally ass backwards.
Father Aquilus is a version of the hunter who's gotten tired and given up the pursuit of the artifacts. He's settled down and started a new religion, universal sanctum or whatever.

The idea that father Aquilus is just an elderly priest who in one universe, one day decides to go artifact hunting and ends up becoming starborn and then eventually decides to become the hunter is demonstrably false. In every universe Father Aquilus is already a starborn, you learn this if you team up with the hunter and you undertake the quest he sends you on to kill his doppleganger in your universe. He flat out tells you he's a starborn and when you kill him he doesn't have a corpse, just a flash and you collect quantum juice.

founding a new religion is nothing new, a version of the hunter has done this many times throughout history, including founding house Varuun and the enlightened. The hunter is the pilgrim, he hid the path to finding the unity throughout the 3 religions versions of himself founded, which is why the Father Aquilus in your universe sends you on the pilgrimage a version of him undertook many many years ago to find the path to the unity.

The hunter's original identity is Victor Aiza, the NASA scientist who first interacted with/did research on the first original Artifact discovered on Mars 300 years earlier, in the 2050s. With the help of the artifact he invented the Gravity Drive, which inadvertently destroyed the Earth's magnetosphere and with it the atmosphere and made the Earth uninhabitable. After the advent of the grav drive and the impending doom of the earth, mankind was forced to rapidly evac from earth and thus began colonizing the stars, and he used the technology/research he did to track down all the other artifacts with similar signatures. He is the first person to collect the artifacts, form the armillary, enter the Unity, and to become Starborn.

We know this from 2 sources. First on the NASA mission you find all the recordings, and you learn that in your universe, Victor Aiza was given all all the technology/grav drive equations/manufacturing data/etc from a version of himself "from the future" who told him all about the drives, New Atlantis colony, mankind colonizing the stars, etc. He also told his past self about the fate of the Earth, that the grav drive testing would end up destroying the Earth. The Victor in your universe you are doing this mission in, decided to go ahead and make the Grav drive knowing that it would doom the earth. But he confessed to his girlfriend how he knew and what it would cost, and she guilted him, and this version of Victor ends up killing himself instead of leaving the planet. That is why the artifact is still locked in this facility on earth in your universe, Victor killed himself instead of taking it and forming the armillary.

Also, when you side with the hunter, you are teamed up going through anomalies on the final mission, and you see visions of your past (the mine, the fight with the collector dude) and you ask him what he sees when he goes through the anomalies, The Hunter tells you that he is older than you think he is, and that he sees visions of his past back on Earth. Since the only artifact that was in humanity's grasp while people still lived on Earth was the one locked away in a top secret super max research facility under NASA and Victor is the only person we know had access to it, performed research on it, experimented with it, etc then the hunter can only be Victor.

This explains why the hunter is so, well, fucking old. He was a research scientist in, probably his 30s or 40s back on Earth. After the advent of the grav drive, and the tech he had to search for them, it probably took him another 30 years to find them all as there wasn't convenient colonies plopped down everywhere for him to stop by and rest up.

So yes, the hunter is the first starborn and he has been groundhog's daying his reality for 300+ years. Versions of him have grown tired and settled down, founded religions to conquer the universe (varuun) or simply to make peace with it (universal sanctum) or just chill the fuck out (enlightened). He is responsible for the creation of the grav drive and colonization of the stars, but also the destruction of the earth. Some versions of himself couldn't live with that (suicide), and some could (became starborn).

he's done this so many times that, as time has gone on and with the formation of Constellation, the most efficient route to collecting the artifacts is to let Constellation collect most of them then just merc them and steal them off their corpses before they figure out what the artifacts really are. This typically leads to your death and results in your lover/friend in constellation becoming starborn, taking up the mantle of the Emissary and fighting against the hunter over and over and over again.
I kinda thought the same thing. The line from the Hunter about him being old AF and Victor Aiza being given l33t beta infoz from the future are both kinda, unexplored. As is the origin of the Starborn suits/spaceships and the concept itself. It's reasonable to presume that the Hunter is Victor Aiza and he has some method to deter aging, but the game didn't "reveal" that substantially enough to confirm it. For all we know the Hunter could've just been a rando test pilot that got thrown into the Warp Unity one too many times and became Starborn.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I kinda thought the same thing. The line from the Hunter about him being old AF and Victor Aiza being given l33t beta infoz from the future are both kinda, unexplored. As is the origin of the Starborn suits/spaceships and the concept itself. It's reasonable to presume that the Hunter is Victor Aiza and he has some method to deter aging, but the game didn't "reveal" that substantially enough to confirm it. For all we know the Hunter could've just been a rando test pilot that got thrown into the Warp Unity one too many times and became Starborn.
I don't think Starborn age and are thus immortal. They appear as the age that they first experienced the Unity, which is why the hunter always looks elderly, but he's super spry mass murderer because he isn't human anymore that's just his appearance. When you go through the unity it is explained that you (as in your body) will be disincorporated and distributed throughout the universe you leave behind and you will be reborn in a new universe, which you are but you are no longer made of flesh and blood, you are made of quantum energy or whatever. All their one-liner banter while you fight starborn is shit like "you don't deserve eternity" etc.

I mean it's possible it's only your consciousness that travels between universes and it's quantum entangled with this new form, and by "dying" as a starborn your consciousness is sent hurdling back through the unity back to your original universe? idk it could be retconned in a DLC, unreliable narrator or whatever, but I take the unity's explanation at face value that your carbon based body ceases to exist and you are now just quantum energy.

i'm fairly certain DLC/expansions/sequels will expand upon the artifacts/unity/etc and who made them but I don't think they will ever really explain the mystery. I see it like the Dwemer from elder scrolls...they'll tease it out over decades of titles but what truly happened to them will never be known for sure.

edit:
oh I take back sequels. I mean there will definitely be sequels to this game it's sold waaayyy too many boxes to think otherwise, I just don't think the story will have anything to do with the unity/starborn. It'll be just like Elder Scrolls games. Starfield 2 will take place hundreds of years in the future, the settings/factions/etc will be more fleshed out but it'll be a different story/adventure entirely, they'll be lore/references to the events of starfield 1 probably your PC founding a religion or cult or whatever and maybe you interact with some of them but within the universe the concept of multiverses/unity will probably be gone. Like the cult or maybe house varuun or someone destroys the artifacts not long after the events of starfield 1 which prevents the armillary from being formed and new starborn from being created, so all the starborn are just stuck in whatever universe they were in when that happened. You may run into a starborn hiding out or something as an easter egg but i'm fairly certain that the sequels will be a completely different topic

Last edited:

Caliane

sseth kindof shits on it pretty hard. I don't think I've ever seen him shit on something so much.

• 5Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm 99% certain the Hunter is Keeper Aquilius. The game explicitly tells you that and if you visit him in NG+ the implication is clear.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Some of the gfx mods are starting to make this game look a lot better. It still looks like shit for a brand new game in this genre but that's Bethesda and their 10+ year old engine for you.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm 99% certain the Hunter is Keeper Aquilius. The game explicitly tells you that and if you visit him in NG+ the implication is clear.
I'd say it's 100% because both admit to being the other in the multiverse> the question is whether they are also victor aiza. All three characters have different voice actors fwiw.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
On PC , is this better to play on KB/M , gamepad , or some hybrid of the 2? The walking around parts seem natural with KB/M but the ship flying felt very clunky. Wondering if it's better set up for a gamepad / joystick.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
On PC , is this better to play on KB/M , gamepad , or some hybrid of the 2? The walking around parts seem natural with KB/M but the ship flying felt very clunky. Wondering if it's better set up for a gamepad / joystick.
Keyboard and mouse.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
sseth kindof shits on it pretty hard. I don't think I've ever seen him shit on something so much.
Rofl ok this one got me when it said "the modding community has fixed some of the problems" and this pops up

1698640461486.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to trying this game (after BG3 and FF16) and wow, this is not a very good game. 25 years and this is the best they could come up with. It made me want to play the outer worlds , that is not a compliment.

Also, I thought gamepass for $1 was cancelled but apparently not. I went to resubscribe , it said my last time as 12/22 but still let me do the dollar deal. In fact I'd forgotten about gamepass and the game until I got an email from MS saying my rate would change on the 12th so I immediately went and cancelled gamepass & uninstalled the game.
This will be one of those you pick up on STEAM when it's on sale with all the DLC for $15.00 or so.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users