Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Steam for me all the way. SKSE or whatever it will be for this game, is like a req for all the good mods.
Eh, unless the inventory and rest of the UI is an abomination like Skyrim's I don't think it'll be that big a deal. I still can't think of a single mandatory mod for Fallout 4 that required F4SE. I'm pretty sure the only reason I had it installed was for MCM (mod configuration menu) and a mod that added a FSR2 plug-in to the engine. Even the best UI overhaul for FO4 (def_ui) doesn't require F4SE. And hopefully Bethesda isn't retarded enough to release a game in 2023 that lacks FSR2, considering it'll be practically required for Series X to play the game at a decent framerate while still looking good.

IIRC the other main reason to use SKSE was for the memory management hack they made to get around Creation engine being terrible (and also 32-bit). Fallout 4 was a 64-bit exe from the start and didn't have the same problems, nor will Starfield.

Last edited:

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
You guys didn't learn your lesson with D4. Definitely wait a month before buying.
I'm going to buy it when it comes bundled with Skyrim: Aetherius Edition. Full cross compatibility where you can land on Skyrim, but you can't use technology because reasons. Mostly because you have to pay for DLC to let you use them, but then the bandits get them from fallen spaceships also.

"Never should have come here!" *laser gun sounds*

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 launched with bugs, but not many that were absolutely game breaking. While I am sure this game will launch with plenty of bugs, I've rarely encountered game destroying stuff.

• 1Picard

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I know somebody who is playing this and he's getting me pretty hype. I wasn't super excited, but hearing some thoughts from people who are playing it two weeks prior to launch (pretty good review window) and knowing the game was delayed over 9 months (was meant to launch 11/22) - and further knowing that BGS is in dire need of a return to form after FO76 (I was the only person on this forum I guess who enjoyed FO4 in spite of some of the typical BGS b.s.) I think this will be a very good game. You know this forum is full of jaded old faggots when people are genuinely debating whether they will play a gamepass game at launch, made by Bethesda, for the cost of one chick fil a sandwich a MONTH. Rofl

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 launched with bugs, but not many that were absolutely game breaking. While I am sure this game will launch with plenty of bugs, I've rarely encountered game destroying stuff.
People overstate the release-day bugs in BGS games. I did pretty much everything you could do in Skyrim within a few weeks of launch and didn't have many issues. I did most of the content in FO4 at launch too, but didn't enjoy it enough to fully clear the map. The only "BGS" game I remember finishing with a list of broken shit was Fallout New Vegas, and that was more a Zenimax thing than a BGS or Obsidian problem.

• 1Truth!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm actually thinking this releases with less bugs than BG3, which had a few big bugs but was mostly good for my playthrough. I think the extra time to bake a long with the might of Microsofts QA team will leave this running pretty well on release.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I think a lot of it may depend on how substantial the changes to the Creation Engine were to take it from 1.0 to 2.0. If it was mostly just a "marketing" update, it's over 10 years old at this point, and most of its errata are probably well known.

If it was a total rewrite, there might be more weirdness out of the gate.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Don't believe anything until reviews. It's all bullshit until then.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Never had gamepass so $1 for a month aint bad.

What's difference between normal and ultimate for an extra $6. Saw some games look locked to ultimate? Or is it minor shit.

Vorph

What's difference between normal and ultimate for an extra $6. Saw some games look locked to ultimate? Or is it minor shit.
Ultimate is xbox and PC combined.

• 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

I have normal for just PC and it's like $10 but I don't have an Xbone. Yeah, my brother is jumping on the new member $1 as well for Starfield and will cancel after he beats it probably. So, $1 to play Starfield.

Kajiimagi

<Trapped in Randomonia>
All of these type games (morrowind up) I grow bored of the world before I ever finish them. I recently reloaded a mod to combine fallout 3 + new vegas and grew bored before I finished 1 of the expansions I never played for new vegas. I'll probably get gamepass again for starfield, poke around and call it a day until the inevitable goty cheapo game a few years from now.
I cannot explain why, and I know it's me, but I like to OWN the game not rent it as a service on gamepass/uplay / whatever. It's a digital game, I know I don't actually OWN shit but it still bothers me.

• 3Like

Caliane

"i have 350 hours+ across 3 playthroughs of skrym, and like 200+ in several playthroughs of fo4" is a selling point to me, not a failure.

TES especially is not about the main quest. that you can go get lost in the world doing area quests, etc and there's MORE content then you can get to, then in a single, or even 2 or 3 runs is a selling point.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
All of these type games (morrowind up) I grow bored of the world before I ever finish them. I recently reloaded a mod to combine fallout 3 + new vegas and grew bored before I finished 1 of the expansions I never played for new vegas. I'll probably get gamepass again for starfield, poke around and call it a day until the inevitable goty cheapo game a few years from now.
I cannot explain why, and I know it's me, but I like to OWN the game not rent it as a service on gamepass/uplay / whatever. It's a digital game, I know I don't actually OWN shit but it still bothers me.

I bet you do what I do; avoid the main story and search every single drawer to every single burned out house for 20 hours and then hit the first real village. I am accidentally doing the same thing right now with BG3 and have to force myself to do the quest so I don't get burned out.

You should really give New Vegas a chance and do nothing but the main quest for about 10 hours. Then, once you are into the story or feel VERY week, start doing some side quests.

• 3Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Eh, unless the inventory and rest of the UI is an abomination
ROFL have you never played a Bethesda game? Have they EVER released a good UI and inventory system?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

ROFL have you never played a Bethesda game? Have they EVER released a good UI and inventory system?
Never, but Skyrim was horrific even by their standards and needed scripting to fix it. FO4 was just run of the mill shitty and could be fixed with the standard modding tools. Starfield actually looks fairly decent in some areas, but still has their trademark massive lists of shit once you drill down to a specific inventory slot or item type. Assuming it hasn't changed since the Xbox Showcase a couple months ago.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I bet you won't like Starfield. It'll be fallout but with a bunch of boring space flight and empty planets

Kajiimagi

<Trapped in Randomonia>
I bet you won't like Starfield. It'll be fallout but with a bunch of boring space flight and empty planets
I love these type of games, It's just somewhere between 85-100 hours in I get overloaded. Hell I built a whole new PC just to play Skyrim.

If it's full of empty planets I probably would not like it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’ll play it on Gamepass and then come here and post about how I don’t “get” these games but understand that some people love them. Then delete it and visit this thread three times a year wondering if I should give it another shot but ultimately deciding it isn’t worth it.

Got a plan, at least.

• 3Worf

Vorph

Release: wander around for 30-60 hours doing pretty much anything but the main story, get distracted by the next new game to come out, eventually uninstall to make space.

6-12 months later, and again each time new DLC is released: reinstall, spend twice as much time downloading, installing, and tweaking mods as actually playing the game, then uninstall again.

That's every Bethesda game, ever for me.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users