Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Definitely needed a better intro to get you invested. I feel like the Fallout games usually had that.

Instead of following the story I'm going around Kreet like so:

View attachment 488883

I think the game looks nice graphically (Ultra settings on PC). Still the same interactivity level as other Bethesda games (ie, tons of junk you don't want and most things don't respond to environmental behavior at all).

Basically me atm, granted I did it on accident and easily side tracked by stuff on map that isnt marked as explored.

Granted I haven't even done the first quest after getting the ship(the crimson fleet captain), so I can't comment too much on the story. I know after you do that step it sends you to the huge city.

This did make me laugh when I saw it :

20230831191836_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
essentially the same technology as NMS and then add the RPG, Skyrim/Fallout gameplay on top of that? Why the fuck not?

This is what I wanted. I might actually go play NMS again instead.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am curious if they expect you to earn credits mostly from quests/missions rewards or when you just loot straight credit chips, instead of vendoring everything you can loot. No possible way , at least so far for me, you can play for any extended time without vendoring. I dunno, does the ship have a huge storage or something that lets you store stuff in it and then you can vendor straight from it? Would be fucking annoying if you had to run from the ship(if it has a storage) and a vendor over and over.

If credits are mostly from outside vendoring, then you just loot stuff you might use or think is useful. Instead of every weapon/armor that an ememy drops + environment loot(crates, chests etc).

Since from what I hear/read, the future stuff gets quite expensive.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Not sure if this was posted before but this seems like a pretty level headed review:

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I am curious if they expect you to earn credits mostly from quests/missions rewards or when you just loot straight credit chips, instead of vendoring everything you can loot. No possible way , at least so far for me, you can play for any extended time without vendoring. I dunno, does the ship have a huge storage or something that lets you store stuff in it and then you can vendor straight from it? Would be fucking annoying if you had to run from the ship(if it has a storage) and a vendor over and over.

If credits are mostly from outside vendoring, then you just loot stuff you might use or think is useful. Instead of every weapon/armor that an ememy drops + environment loot(crates, chests etc).

Since from what I hear/read, the future stuff gets quite expensive.
Starting ship has 450 storage and you can use a kiosk to sell straight from it.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
how do they not go into this with the primary goal of a no mans sky style seamless experience and then shit their bethesda game on top of that

glad I didn't pre order - def going to wait for mods / sale

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Yes, you can buy cargo modules that boost your shit. If you look at some of the prebuilt ships the dock guy sells, one has over 2k cargo storage.

Definitely needed a better intro to get you invested. I feel like the Fallout games usually had that.

Instead of following the story I'm going around Kreet like so:

I do agree the intro wasn't very good, mostly because of the presentation. You go into a mine, touch some metal thing, get a vision, then go outside and the guy is like "omg u can take my ship, you're the chosen one, join our club" basically. I understand a chunk of the intro is basically just a glorified tutorial on how game features work, but the main story introduction just feels uninvested. The game has some pretty decent environmental story telling and random conversations from NPCs - they really should have leveraged that more to get you more invested in the main story. Or at least interested in the mystery the main story is focusing on.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
game is 100% just fallout 4 in space, not bad but not something amazing and new. Releasing so soon after Baldurs Gate 3 is tough, there's really nothing it does better than BG3.

pet peeve: why are there so many goddamn fucking notebooks that look exactly like books but you can't "read" them, you just pick them up and they are empty. BG3 had tons and tons of books but they were at least fun and interesting to read. Starfield has a few books but its like 1 book for every 20 blank notebooks and notepads.

I do really enjoy just whizzing around in space exploring, that really is awesome but NMS is way better at it.

• 2Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
A lot of people seem disappointed that this is just "Skyrim in Space", but on the flip side, another bunch of people are very happy that it is just "Skyrim in Space". Each to his own. Personally, I think Skyrim is one of the best games I've ever played, and modding is a huge part of that. But as someone who prefers Sci-Fi to Fantasy, a "Skyrim in Space" is something that I would love to see - be it this game or something else. Time will tell, I suppose, on if it is or not.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Skyrim was great. Literally the second the intro quest was over and the dude was all "We're this secret society of the Blades" and showed me his rape dungeon I wandered off into the forest completely ignoring it.

I didn't pick up the main story again for another 40+ hours.

• 1Worf

velk

Trakanon Raider
Was there anyone who seriously wasn't expecting skyrim in space ? That's not a bash in any way, skyrim was great fun, it's what they do, and it was wildly successful - why would you expect anything different ?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Was there anyone who seriously wasn't expecting skyrim in space ? That's not a bash in any way, skyrim was great fun, it's what they do, and it was wildly successful - why would you expect anything different ?
No, pretty much everybody did.

For me and a lot of others, I've already played that game 5 times now - FO3, FO:NV (admittedly, this wasn't Bethesda and explains why it's a standout), FO4, Skyrim, FO76, and now this. I'm just over playing FO3 with a different skin each time. Miss me with that boring ass shit.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Skyrim was great. Literally the second the intro quest was over and the dude was all "We're this secret society of the Blades" and showed me his rape dungeon I wandered off into the forest completely ignoring it.

I didn't pick up the main story again for another 40+ hours.
On my first playthrough I did the main quest once in a while until I got to the Falmor Embassy thing, but it was bugged out. I didn't even mind, there was so much else to do. I've only ever once done the entire main quest, and that was on a special "cheat" character I made that had god mode and all. I just blitzed through the main quest just to see it and have "done" it. All other runthroughs I've just done the minimum to unlock dragonshouts, or at least max out Fus ro dah, and then said fuck it.

Not sure if that makes the game good or bad lol, but I loved it. If this game is antyhing like, then I'll probably love it as will many others.